• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 47 33.6%

• Total voters

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're already committed to strictly MC or MM, I'd be very tempted by Michael Fidler's stuff
I am waiting on an AMIRM test of the MM.
I won't have the money to buy it in my audio budget until after Jan 1, 2025 but I hope to see an AMIRM report on it before then.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Parks Audio Puffin - or it's current successor, the waxwing.

Mainly for it's "Magic" function (digital filtering of pops/clicks)

DesertHawk

Parks Audio Puffin - or it's current successor, the waxwing.

Mainly for it's "Magic" function (digital filtering of pops/clicks)
I think a puffin would be fun to have. The waxwing, IMHO, made a design flaw in having all controls be done via an app. I get so frustrated with streaming or Bluetooth apps. Plus, one of the biggest advantages to vinyl for me is the "analog experience" - I'm not talking about the sonic differences between analog and digital music, I mean the experience of being about to flip through a catalog of music without looking at screen. My day has too many screens already.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I think a puffin would be fun to have. The waxwing, IMHO, made a design flaw in having all controls be done via an app. I get so frustrated with streaming or Bluetooth apps. Plus, one of the biggest advantages to vinyl for me is the "analog experience" - I'm not talking about the sonic differences between analog and digital music, I mean the experience of being about to flip through a catalog of music without looking at screen. My day has too many screens already.
Puffin makes you change things at the device. Waxwing lets you make changes from couch potato position. App makes Bluetooth connection pretty much instantly when opening the app. Imagine that, a Bluetooth connection with no dancing around. It simply works.

Digital1955

So, out of the phone pre’s Amir has reviewed, ignoring the cost, which one would you use if it were free?

My brain wants the say the Skoll, but it seems like they all have some shortcomings.

You should ask this question on a new thread.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're already committed to strictly MC or MM, I'd be very tempted by Michael Fidler's stuff
The whole line from Spartan 5 to Spartan 15 to MM Pro looks to be very thoughtfully designed. The design notes for the Spartan 15 remind me of the gain architecture of the Bryston BP-2, which is far more expensive using discrete components. I am disturbed by the number of people who report balance and noise problems with the Skoll.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole line from Spartan 5 to Spartan 15 to MM Pro looks to be very thoughtfully designed. The design notes for the Spartan 15 remind me of the gain architecture of the Bryston BP-2, which is far more expensive using discrete components. I am disturbed by the number of people who report balance and noise problems with the Skoll.
And I do not care about (sit in a chair with an APP: PERIOD)

Top Bottom