• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGP1 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 61 18.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 254 77.2%

• Total voters

Caléo

Well. Finally, I'm not sure if there are so many defective products over all the sales. Some people complain about it, they should be taken into consideration, but is it a sufficient obstacle...

Last edited:

JackFX

Well. Finally, I'm not sure if there are so many defective products over all the sales. Some people complain about it, they should be taken into consideration, but is it a sufficient obstacle...
Do you want to be stuck with a broken amp and fighting to get your money back? If not, pick one of the many other amps in this price range

Caléo

Do you want to be stuck with a broken amp and fighting to get your money back? If not, pick one of the many other amps in this price range

I would love to but there are no other AB amps in the price range with similar specs.

Caléo

I am coming back from FDA Quloos Qa690, Hypex nCore, Benchmark Ahb2 & La90 D.
Repetitive blind test, the LA90 wins most of the time in my set up. Adi 2 Pro FS R BE, Gustard R26, Grand Cru Esssential & Pylon diamond 28.

LA90 is more natural in the midrange than Ahb2 which is a bit more clinical. Is richer, more sophisticated than Hypex and Qa690 in overall presentation. It has an extremely precise level of detail even at low volume.

Here is an interesting comparison of Ahb2, Mark Levinson 333 and Purifi (which is to me the most evolved form of D class nowadays)

Last edited:

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1708202642820.png

Caléo

You’ll still get a :facepalm: though…

I don't try to convince you. I ve tried those amps because I considered them as the top of their class on paper. Best specs, best transparency. At that level I close the eyes, let my friend change the connexions and compare them with my ears on my set up. The process may not seduce you but that's the best I can do to chose my stuff both objectively and subjectively. I ve had them for several monthes so I considered long time running too.

Last edited:

mike70

Because no D class have the same level of musicality

What? ... there's no musicality in an amplifier ... there's an amplified signal and nothing more.
You need to search for source / preamp EQ you like, but the amplifier only amplify that signal.

Caléo

What? ... there's no musicality in an amplifier ... there's an amplified signal and nothing more.
You need to search for source / preamp EQ you like, but the amplifier only amplify that signal.

That's what I do. I use an Adi 2 Pro to apply filters on my R2R Gustard R26 dac. And use an S17 Pro as preamp.

The LA90 D in my config has a special ingredient that brings a bit of magic the other D class don't do during blind tests. They work good, the difference isn't massive. I have done lots of tests on headphones and absolutely no D class can compete with the level of A class and here yes, I can tell you that there is something about musicality. For example, my Aune S17 Pro is not as technical as the different D class I've tried, but it makes my Meze Elite sing as no other can do. And yes I've been using EQ for 15 years now and tried a lot of stuff. Even if subjective feelings are not the words to use in ASR, I think that blind tests are a scientific method which are as trustable as numbers on papers. If you don't combine both objective and subjective parts I think you're disconnected of the process : enjoying music is about feelings.

But I agree that I want my amp to be neutral. What years shown me is that even transparent amps have differences. How do you explain that I dissociate an Ahb2 and an LA90 when blindtest listening ? That I can tell you when the Benchmark is playing because I find the mids colder and recessed compared to LA90 so that they both have a dead flat frequency response ?

Last edited:

mike70

That's what I do. I use an Adi 2 Pro to apply filters on my R2R Gustard R26 dac. And use an S17 Pro as preamp.

The LA90 D in my config has a special ingredient that brings a bit of magic the other D class don't do during blind tests. They work good, the difference isn't massive. I have done lots of tests on headphones and absolutely no D class can compete with the level of A class and here yes, I can tell you that there is something about musicality. For example, my Aune S17 Pro is not as technical as the different D class I've tried, but it makes my Meze Elite sing as no other can do. And yes I've been using EQ for 15 years now and tried a lot of stuff. Even if subjective feelings are not the words to use in ASR, I think that blind tests are a scientific method which are as trustable as numbers on papers. If you don't combine both objective and subjective parts I think you're disconnected of the process : enjoying music is about feelings.

But I agree that I want my amp to be neutral. What years shown me is that even transparent amps have differences. How do you explain that I dissociate an Ahb2 and an LA90 when blindtest listening ? That I can tell you when the Benchmark is playing because I find the mids colder and recessed compared to LA90 so that they both have a dead flat frequency response ?

blind test with the same gain for the amplifiers?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Some kind of experimental error we can’t figure from afar ?
The likelihood of you being rigth is very slim compared to that something went wrong ? We can’t possibly solves this in a tread here ?

Good,luck with the amps anyway as none of these is bad choice , provided it can handle the load and levels you want :)

Caléo

blind test with the same gain for the amplifiers?

Yes. No gain used on the amp. And for volume leveling, Adi 2 Pro permits you to save 2 settings and switch between both with one remote click.

Last edited:

Caléo

Some kind of experimental error we can’t figure from afar ?
The likelihood of you being rigth is very slim compared to that something went wrong ? We can’t possibly solves this in a tread here ?

Good,luck with the amps anyway as none of these is bad choice , provided it can handle the load and levels you want :)

Hard to say. There is always a possibility of error. I don't know where it could be but it wouldn't be scientific if I didn't admit the eventuality. I have done my best, trying to short my psychological biasis. I should need 3 Benchmark to verify there is no problem on my stuff but I didn't have the money to

My Ahb2 stayed 7 monthes at home. LA90 and LA90 D (couldn't compare both together) have been there for one year. Quloos QA690 about 2 years and Hypex about 4 monthes before dying.

I don't speak of Keces S125 that I ve tried with them during my blind tests, which was really far concerning the resolving capacities. Couldn't compete.

I still want to try the Purifi against the LA90 D, which won't stay long as it's not powerful enough. And I m not confident with Topping longevity, even more on discrete electronics which multiply components and so risks.

If you have anything to suggest, I take. Comparing Hypex, Ahb2, La90 and soon Purifi seems to me as the most sensed process but maybe I am missing some interesting stuff in the neutrality line. My needs are just : more than 200 watts per channel in 4 ohms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom