• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 20.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 357 76.0%

• Total voters

Sputnik

TOPPING L70 is balanced​

You're missing the point. That's a headphone amp that can do a bit of pre amping. I am talking about a dedicated pre amp.

Not a dac with a bit of pre amp, not a headphone amp with a bit of pre amp, not a streamer with a bit of pre amp. Just a pre amp. You don't know how nice it is until you used one. I still miss my Yamaha C-2.

Fosi should not try to compete with Topping and SMSL. Those are already disruptors.

If I want a dedicated pre amp now, I am paying (a lot) more for it than for 2 V3 mono's + E30 + L30. That's not worth it for just nicer volume control and dedicated buttons instead of multifunction.

But if you could have a dedicated pre for the price of a good dac, that would be awesome. It doesn't really exist. Plenty of choice if you want to spend a lot, but no options if you don't want to pay more than the price of 2 V3 mono's.

Last edited:

Negatywny

But if you could have a dedicated pre for the price of a good dac, that would be awesome. It doesn't really exist. Plenty of choice if you want to spend a lot, but no options if you don't want to pay more than the price of 2 V3 mono's.
cheapes option i found by now is something vintage, like denona pra 1500. And it's spretty too ;)

Sputnik

cheapes option i found by now is something vintage, like denona pra 1500. And it's spretty too ;)
I know, but getting one serviced can get pretty expensive. If Fosi can do for pre amps what they just did for monoblocs, that would be pretty cool. And it seems right up their alley. Why make another dac+pre combo, everyone who wants a Chinese one, already has one with sinad off the charts.

EddNog

Is it helpful to use 1 of these amps for the Left and another amp for the Right? Maybe more power?
This is precisely the point of these. One per channel.

-Ed

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is it helpful to use 1 of these amps for the Left and another amp for the Right? Maybe more power?
More power, no crosstalk between Amps, can place the Amps right next to each speaker for minimal speaker wire length.

Cgs0409

I need opinions for a system upgrade. I’ve been reading and reading and reading. Unfortunately there is no place near me that handles the components I’ve chosen so I’m at the mercy of reviews. So here is my list…
Fosi V3 mono (2)
Schiit Kara preamp
Elac DBR62 speakers

I tried to attach a photo of my setup I have now but the file is too large…rats.
So any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Don’t be shy I can take the heat. Thanks in advance.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I need opinions for a system upgrade. I’ve been reading and reading and reading. Unfortunately there is no place near me that handles the components I’ve chosen so I’m at the mercy of reviews. So here is my list…
Fosi V3 mono (2)
Schiit Kara preamp
Elac DBR62 speakers

I tried to attach a photo of my setup I have now but the file is too large…rats.
So any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Don’t be shy I can take the heat. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a really nice little setup.

What is your source?

Speakers don't go super low so you may want to be budgeting/saving for a sub in the future.

EddNog

What is your source?

Speakers don't go super low so you may want to be budgeting/saving for a sub in the future.
@Cgs0409 i concur with the above assessment. That’s a pretty solid setup, and a subwoofer would pair extremely well. I personally recommend an SVS subwoofer because the Bluetooth-linked DSP makes setup/tuning an absolute breeze (WAY better than listen, run over, adjust, run back, do it again and again and again, not to mention the awesome integrated 3-band PEQ which makes room integration an absolute breeze). I run one of their SB-3000 subwoofers to bolster the bottom end of my KEF LS50 Meta loudspeakers, and I use a Schiit Freya+ preamp, so my setup is very similar to what you have in mind (have a pair of V3 Monos on order, but am already running a pair of ZA3s as mono blocs in stereo mode with 48V/10A power supplies).

-Ed

EddNog

Several different YouTube videos, reviewers, this site (Amira), and others.
I think he’s asking what source as in is it a computer, is it a network streamer, is it something else?

I use a HiBy R6 Pro II DAP fed to a Musician Draco DAC as my source. The R6 Pro II is great because it has a global parametric EQ as well as global plugin for L/R balance, both things critical to me for room correction, and when I commute by train, I can take the whole thing with me for music on the go, and I use the global PEQ to match my IEMs’ frequency response curve to a neutral target. Also, when I’m home, I use the HiBy Cast app on my tablet to remote control the DAP.

-Ed

Cgs0409

What is your source?

Thank you for your input. My room is 10 x 24…wood walls and ceiling with tile floor. I have Klipsch RP-160M and Klipsch kg4.2 speakers now and their bass is not bad in this environment. I have a sub but it is too boomy so I don’t use it. My power comes from a Sansui 5000A and 2000X receivers both have been completely rebuilt.

EddNog

Thank you for your input. My room is 10 x 24…wood walls and ceiling with tile floor. I have Klipsch RP-160M and Klipsch kg4.2 speakers now and their bass is not bad in this environment. I have a sub but it is too boomy so I don’t use it. My power comes from a Sansui 5000A and 2000X receivers both have been completely rebuilt.
The boomy sub is a common issue, and the reason why I recommend a subwoofer with better control for room correction, like an SVS with its full DSP.

An alternative to use the subwoofer you already have would be something like a MiniDSP—this can take the place of the preamp in your suggested setup, but you might need a digital audio output depending on which MiniDSP configuration you get.

-Ed

Last edited:

Cgs0409

I think he’s asking what source as in is it a computer, is it a network streamer, is it something else?

I use a HiBy R6 Pro II DAP fed to a Musician Draco DAC as my source. The R6 Pro II is great because it has a global parametric EQ as well as global plugin for L/R balance, both things critical to me for room correction, and when I commute by train, I can take the whole thing with me for music on the go, and I use the global PEQ to match my IEMs’ frequency response curve to a neutral target. When I’m home, I use the HiBy Cast app on my tablet to remote control the DAP.

-Ed
Thank you for your input. See my post describing what I have now. I have a XM radio receiver hooked up to my system and a Bluetooth receiver so I can stream from phone. Not the ideal setup but it fits my budget right now.

Negatywny

Fosi V3 mono (2)
Schiit Kara preamp
Elac DBR62 speakers

Basically it's an end game setup ;)

Personally i'd go for floorstanders, or if you can't, i'd try wharfedale aura 2.

Or alternatively you can save money on schiit kara.
Connect v3 monos by xlr directly to DAC with preamp, and for secondary analogue sources use schiit sys or some vintage preamp (by RCA). You have 500$ for speakers.

HoweSound

Fosi V3 mono (2)
Schiit Kara preamp
Elac DBR62 speakers

I'm going to use these with my Schiit Freya S, so pretty much the same setup. Seems like a natural fit. Just wish the Freya had a trigger output.

musicforcities

I'm going to use these with my Schiit Freya S, so pretty much the same setup. Seems like a natural fit. Just wish the Freya had a trigger output
I hear you. Preamps without triggers (or power amps) such a pain if one wants to turn amps off when not using them.

My only suggestion is a smart power switch that allows one device to operate as a master, they sense by load the master is on (even from standby) and turn on controlled devices, usually after a second or two delay. I have used a Belkin surge like that for years and it’s been great.

I have also used a power switch with remote turn on…they do exist but one has to be careful about the wattage/amp rating because most are designed for lamps as such.

I suppose you could wire a 12v trigger into your freya…i have done that before with old out of warranty gear. Usually there is enough extra wattage in standby control circuits that one can tap it and add a relay for a trigger out, or just tap the standby power relay itself if it is 12v. If there is not a standby then one has to tap the line voltage and convert it to 12vdc (easier to do in the age of switching power supplies) or if one is lucky.

Top Bottom