• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 20.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 357 76.0%

• Total voters

Cgs0409

The boomy sub is a common issue, and the reason why I recommend a subwoofer with better control for room correction, like an SVS with its full DSP.

An alternative to use the subwoofer you already have would be something like a MiniDSP—this can take the place of the preamp in your suggested setup, but you might need a digital audio output depending on which MiniDSP configuration you get.

-Ed
Would a DAC like the Schiit Modius work with the system I referenced?

EddNog

Would a DAC like the Schiit Modius work with the system I referenced?
Seems fine if you are into Schiit gear. Amir’s own test of this DAC has decent results. It is a straight DAC, so does not do volume control (preamp) and does not have DSP (no room correction).

-Ed

Cgs0409

Seems fine if you are into Schiit gear. Amir’s own test of this DAC has decent results. It is a straight DAC, so does not do volume control (preamp) and does not have DSP (no room correction).

-Ed
What would you recommend?

EddNog

What would you recommend?
Amir got good test results from SMSL’s C200, and SMSL’s DL200 has a huge feature set for the money (although ASR has not yet tested it). So for similar money as the Schiit Modius, you get more functionality. They are both DAC and headphone amplifiers with balanced (TRS) pre outs (you just need TRS-XLR cables), and on top of that the DL200 has a Bluetooth receiver and a remote control, so it will also act as preamp with remote volume control.

CAVEAT: I do not have first-hand experience with either unit. I only have previously owned an SMSL DO100 DAC which sounded fine as a DAC but the integrated volume control was useless in practice due to noise when changing sampling rates. I would hope SMSL has resolved these issues with newer units, but I don’t know this for a fact due to lack of hands-on experience.

-Ed

Last edited:

Kayshot

Likely a rookie question, but would I be able to use my subwoofer with two of these mono amps given my current gear?

Currently I have a Wiim Pro feeding optical into a Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC, which runs RCA into my Loxjie A40. My sub is fed with the sub-out RCA on the Loxjie.

By the time my two Fosi monos arrive, I'll have a Speedwoofer 10S MKII. The answer here is probably simple, but I can't figure out how to keep the sub in the picture unless I keep the Loxjie in the mix. Also important that I be able to keep the volume the same between the speakers and sub without having to match different volume controls for my bookshelves and sub.

Cgs0409

Amir got good test results from SMSL’s C200, and SMSL’s DL200 has a huge feature set for the money (although ASR has not yet tested it). So for similar money as the Schiit Modius, you get more functionality. They are both DAC and headphone amplifiers with balanced (TRS) pre outs (you just need TRS-XLR cables), and on top of that the DL200 has a Bluetooth receiver and a remote control, so it will also act as preamp with remote volume control.

CAVEAT: I do not have first-hand experience with either unit. I only have previously owned an SMSL DO100 DAC which sounded fine as a DAC but the integrated volume control was useless in practice due to noise when changing sampling rates. I would hope SMSL has resolved these issues with newer units, but I don’t know this for a fact due to lack of hands-on experience.

-Ex
My CD player…Yamaha CD-S303 has a built in DAC and turntable…Miracord 770H doesn’t need one…so would I even need one. I’m an old vintage guy and still wrapping my head around all this new black magic…lol.

EddNog

Likely a rookie question, but would I be able to use my subwoofer with two of these mono amps given my current gear?

Currently I have a Wiim Pro feeding optical into a Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC, which runs RCA into my Loxjie A40. My sub is fed with the sub-out RCA on the Loxjie.

By the time my two Fosi monos arrive, I'll have a Speedwoofer 10S MKII. The answer here is probably simple, but I can't figure out how to keep the sub in the picture unless I keep the Loxjie in the mix. Also important that I be able to keep the volume the same between the speakers and sub without having to match different volume controls for my bookshelves and sub.
That subwoofer's manual shows that is has multiple ways you can integrate it into the system. Your DX3's line level outputs can be used this way:
1714151160746.png

Or if you choose to, you can use the speaker-level outputs from the V3 Monos instead doing this:
1714151198790.png

-Ed

EddNog

My CD player…Yamaha CD-S303 has a built in DAC and turntable…Miracord 770H doesn’t need one…so would I even need one. I’m an old vintage guy and still wrapping my head around all this new black magic…lol.
A newer DAC will accept higher resolution source material, so that is up to you. Let's say down the line you purchase a network streamer and want to listen to high-resolution lossless music, a new DAC would support the higher resolution. Additionally, these new Chi-Fi DACs have ultra-high quality measurements, so...arguably may sound better than the DAC in your CD-S303 (I do not know for a fact that it will or not for CD-quality music as I have not seen test results/measurements for the DAC in that CD player).

-Ed

DavidM1

I have an SMSL C200 and can vouch for it being a fabulous unit. Anything similar and new from SMSL would likely be very good as they seem to have no end of well designed DACs. Perhaps find one with optical, co-ax and USB inputs and balanced (either TRS or XLR) outputs... and a remote control.

I would connect a streamer such as a WiiM mini to the optical input, a coax output from your CD player (RCA cable) if it has one to the co-ax input, your iPad or iPhone or computer to the USB input of the DAC, and send the balanced outputs from your DAC to the V3 monos’ balanced inputs. If your turntable doesn’t need a phono preamp I would connect it directly to the V3 monos’ RCA inputs. This would be a nice setup for listening to streaming music or playing vinyl. The co-ax connection to the CD player will likely be an upgrade for CDs and the USB connection would allow listening to hi-res files when you felt like it. The remote will let you power on and off, switch inputs and control the volume.

if you aren’t looking to stream music and only to play CDs and vinyl then, as you say, you don’t need a DAC. Use a preamp to collect the signals from CD player and turntable and send them to the V3 monos. Old school or old school plus streaming would be the first decision.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Several different YouTube videos, reviewers, this site (Amira), and others.
I meant device upstream of your preamp (What feeds the pre - and if a DAC, what feeds that?)

Negatywny

haha, as expected Andrew Robinson aired another rant on small ch-amps wining they're comming too fast (instead 3 year market cycle xD) and mentioning v3 monos only in context of power supply problems (also he's lying they got to the market with this problem). What a dipshit.

Dorus

Thank Amir so much for the measurement! The V3 Mono is another amplifier co-created with members, following the V3 stereo amp. We would particularly like to thank @Toku, @ModDIY , @mike70 , @cyclo, and all the other members who have provided us with invaluable suggestions.

The V3 Mono is our first amp with PFFB implementation. During the period we sent the set to Amir for testing, our R&D team did not stop optimizing the V3 Mono, and we have now further improved its frequency response curve. Below is the chart for your reference.
View attachment 360736

The V3 Mono is currently in production, and it will be launched on Kickstarter on the 20th of this month. There will be very attractive discounts available then, and we hope you'll stay tuned!:)

Question to throw out there for any to respond... Will my 57-year-old ear listening to via Wharfedale EVO 4.2 and hear the sound quality between something like these Fosi V3 monos as compared to Topping LA90

Cgs0409

I meant device upstream of your preamp (What feeds the pre - and if a DAC, what feeds that?)
I have a Yamaha CD-303 CD player, a Miracord 770H turntable, an Audis Bluetooth receiver, and a XM radio receiver hooked to my receivers.

Cgs0409

Thanks to all that has replied. Your suggestions has led me to think about equipment choices. I’m still thinking my original thoughts will work for me and my budget but I really like the idea of the SMSL C200 DAC and I’ll look into a streaming device later as the budget allows. Thank you again.

Rafaille

Question to throw out there for any to respond... Will my 57-year-old ear listening to via Wharfedale EVO 4.2 and hear the sound quality between something like these Fosi V3 monos as compared to Topping LA90
Most likely no. Unless your listening room is big and you are already a bit deaf and then need some extra watts :)
But then again if you are deaf you would not notice the extra distortion if you pushed the topping beyond its limits...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say that is pretty unlikely. 57 year old ears, or 20yo ears come to that.

Lednek

It would be very interesting to see Fosi make a balanced pre-amp along the lines of the Schiit Freya/Kara, Gustard P26, ...
Precisely my thoughts. @Fosi Audio. The Schitt Kara is the closest thing I've found to a perfect preamplifier to pair with the V3 mono, but it has no bass management and is expensive. If you could check the same boxes as the Schitt Kara, with the addition of an adjustable low pass[40-120 hz) filter for the Sub outputs. And even more importantly, a simillar high pass filter for the speaker output, you would have something truly special, especially if it could be done at a much lower cost and still be profitable. I believe these monoblocks with such a pre-amp would completely change 2 channel stereo listening and bring it to many people who have been priced out of the hi-fi hobby.

If someone wiser than me can explain whi active bass management would not be a good idea in a pre-amp. I'm not set on it. It seems like an incredibly desirable feature providing it can be implemented without a deleterious effect on the sound quality.

Last edited:

EddNog

Precisely my thoughts. @Fosi Audio. The Schitt Kara is the closest thing I've found to a perfect preamplifier to pair with the V3 mono, but it has no bass management and is expensive. If you could check the same boxes as the Schitt Kara, with the addition of an adjustable low pass[20-100 hz) filter for the Sub outputs. And a simillar high pass filter for the speaker output, you would have something truly special, especially if it could be done at a much lower cost and still be profitable. I believe these monoblocks with such a pre-amp would completely change 2 channel stereo listening and bring it to many people who have been priced out of the hi-fi hobby.

If someone wiser than me can explain whi active bass management would not be a good idea in a pre-amp. I'm not set on it. It seems like an incredibly desirable feature providing it can be implemented without a deleterious effect on the sound quality.
There’s no reason not to include it other than cost so long as there is a bypass for people who don’t have a need/run a subwoofer. Although I would personally use that feature for sure. I eyed Emotiva BasX PT2 and Parasound NewClassic 200 preamps with bass management for a long time seriously considering buying one of them because of the bass management features but part of the reason I passed on them is a refusal to give up balanced interconnects.

Frankly if either of them had balanced inputs and outputs, I’d already have bought it. Unfortunately, neither of them do.

This is a good opportunity for Fosi for market-making for sure, a BALANCED preamp WITH bass management for a reasonable price would be truly killer and have basically zero competition anywhere at or under $1,000.

-Ed

Last edited:

rgruber

Personally, I could live without the bass management but a decent balanced pre-amp would be great. Pre-amps are way overpriced for what they are probably because they are geared toward a small, specialty market. I've considered the various Schitt models but honestly I kinda hate the name and all the juvenile wordplay that it induces among reviewers and the clicky volume control, stupid reasons but can't bring myself to buy one.

DavidM1

Personally, I could live without the bass management but a decent balanced pre-amp would be great. Pre-amps are way overpriced for what they are probably because they are geared toward a small, specialty market. I've considered the various Schitt models but honestly I kinda hate the name and all the juvenile wordplay that it induces among reviewers and the clicky volume control, stupid reasons but can't bring myself to buy one.
Ha. I also find the name unappealing. Names are important. Just ask Bentley or Ferrari.

Top Bottom