• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

radix

Major Contributor
It's an old euro model pioneer lx 53, sold as VSX 33 in the US. I still a good receiver, definitely old can't do 4k, no sub EQ but it still works.

Did you see this in the Pioneer manual?

Speaker Setting Use this setting to specify your speaker configuration (size, number of speakers and crossover frequency)2 . It is a good idea to make sure that the settings made in Automatically conducting optimum sound tuning (Auto MCACC) on page 37 are correct. Note that this setting applies to all MCACC presets, and cannot be set independently.
SW – LFE signals and bass frequencies of channels set to SMALL are output from the subwoofer when YES is selected. Choose the PLUS setting if you want the subwoofer to output bass sound continuously or you want deeper bass (the bass frequencies that would normally come out the front and center speakers are also routed to the subwoofer).2 If you did not connect a subwoofer choose NO (the bass frequencies are output from other speakers).

rlal

Hi subwoofer experts,

Recently I went for Axpona 2024 and I visited HSU room and I was amazed by the performance of HSU sub and room. Dr Hsu was using a entry level Onkyo receiver and room was amazing. He was using the top subwoofer model from HSU and his speakers. The room cost was less than 2500$ and it was really good.
I am impressed with his subwoofer model. I started looking at HSU and they give 5 year warranty on electronics and 7 year warranty on woofers. Overall I am impressed.
All other rooms were very expensive and there were only few rooms below 5K usd worth. I also realized that with less money it is possible to achieve good sound with smart choice and proper setup. Now I am getting upgrade itch.

I was thinking to add a high performing sub to my current setup. My current setup is Salk Silk towers, Rythmik 12 inch sealed subwoofer made by Salk ( thicker cabinet wall and more bracing than Rythmik stock models) and two infinity book shelf speakers as rear surround speakers. I dont use a center speaker. I tried few center speakers and I never got a good match with my Silk towers. After Dirac calibration with center speakers I get less SPL level compared to only left and right speakers at same volume level. When I switch off center speaker I get higher SPL at same volume level with just left and right front speakers hence I stopped using center speakers. I dont know why it is happening.
My AVR is Arcam 850. I was pretty happy with performance except for bass.

Can you guys suggest me a good subwoofer which will improve the performance? In general I like tight or refined bass and not room shaking bass. I am more interested in music than movies. But I do enjoy good bass in movies. Now I was checking the excel I dont see good option for sealed subs which are priced below 3k.

What is your opinion about HSU VTF-TN1 model? It is a ported sub but affordable. Will it match with my Rythmik subwoofer and will improve performance?

Can you suggest an excellent subwoofer for my present condition?

Thanks in advance.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
What is your opinion about HSU VTF-TN1 model?
Can’t wait for CEA-2010 data. I expect nothing less than perfection from such a well-performing brand. My guess is it will probably compete with Monoprice’s subs in terms of value for money, but we’ll know for sure with CEA data.

Will it match with my Rythmik subwoofer and will improve performance?
Can a 15” ported sub match the performance of a 12” sealed sub? Yes, and far exceed it in terms of SPL and frequency extension.

rlal

Thanks sweetchaos for your reply.
Any recommendation for a high preforming sealed sub?
I had bad experience with ported sub (one of popular brand) before hence asking.

Tavus

If it doesn't do EQ, then you try sub crawling to see if you can get the bass you want. If that's not an option, then try doing some manual EQ. I used a sealed Rythmik sub for my 2ch stereo in a medium size room, open to other areas and I had more than the bass I needed. Your SVS is quite powerful, so I strongly believe it is a placement/room issue.
I will try to do that, thanks,

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks sweetchaos for your reply.
Any recommendation for a high preforming sealed sub?
I had bad experience with ported sub (one of popular brand) before hence asking.
My spreadsheet shows you which sealed subwoofers are on the leaderboard.

Since your sub is a 12”, I would be looking at 15” or higher for your upgrade.

If memory serves me right (I’m not on pc), I think the best performing sealed sub is JTR RS1:

rlal

My spreadsheet shows you which sealed subwoofers are on the leaderboard.

Since your sub is a 12”, I would be looking at 15” or higher for your upgrade.

If memory serves me right (I’m not on pc), I think the best performing sealed sub is JTR RS1:
JTR sealed seems very good but it is expensive. Can ported sub can be musical?
If so I can go with a ported one.

ExPerfectionist

After Dirac calibration with center speakers I get less SPL level compared to only left and right speakers at same volume level. When I switch off center speaker I get higher SPL at same volume level with just left and right front speakers hence I stopped using center speakers. I dont know why it is happening.

You can always adjust the volume level of the center channel speaker. I think overall, most people have it up +1~+2 above the "calibrated" level. And besides, it's not about the volume, which you can always adjust -- it's about having dialog, SFX, and other sound that is supposed to be coming from the screen or center stage actually come from a sound source there.

The main challenge with center speakers is getting something voice-matched with the L/R speakers. Plus a lot of people don't angle it at the listening position (just point it straight at knees/shins below the TV). And auto-EQ helps, as a lot time center speakers can have drastically altered output due to being in TV cabinets, on shelves, etc. (exaggerated or missing lower-mids, etc. that alters voices).

Willem

Major Contributor
If you want a clean sub for music, I would suggest two things: first, keep the sub that you have and add a second one rather than replace what you have. Selling gear usually does not make much financial sense, and two subwoofers almost always produce a cleaner sound because the frequency response suffers less from room modes. In that system, I would suggest - following Floyd Toole's advice - to get a sealed sub as the second one. Subwoofers do not have to be identical, so depending on your budget and your space, you could either get a second on that is smaller, and use it primarily to obtain flatter/cleaner response, or get a bigger one, and use it not only to achieve that smoother response, but also have more spl and extension.

rlal

If you want a clean sub for music, I would suggest two things: first, keep the sub that you have and add a second one rather than replace what you have. Selling gear usually does not make much financial sense, and two subwoofers almost always produce a cleaner sound because the frequency response suffers less from room modes. In that system, I would suggest - following Floyd Toole's advice - to get a sealed sub as the second one. Subwoofers do not have to be identical, so depending on your budget and your space, you could either get a second on that is smaller, and use it primarily to obtain flatter/cleaner response, or get a bigger one, and use it not only to achieve that smoother response, but also have more spl and extension.
I am planning to add another sub rather than replacing it with a new bigger one.
In general I like sealed subs over ported as I like tight mid bass and I don't like the rumbling or room shaking bass.
At this point I am planning to get VTF-TN1 Subwoofer from HSU. It has the flexibility to use it as ported as well as sealed. This one is 15 inch and my Rythmik is 12 inch.
HSU called this variable tuning. I was little worried using both will help or not.

rlal

Does any one compared Rythmik FV15HP vs HSU 15" ported sub?
Just wondering how HSU sub will perform compared to servo subs?

Thanks.

radix

Major Contributor
Yes . all speakers have been set to small.
Ok. You could try setting it to PLUS and see if that is more to your liking. Please also make sure the settings on the sub are reset to their defaults to make sure there's no EQ or bad cross over frequency from the prior owner. I don't remember what frequency your AVR crosses at, but you want to make sure the sub is set higher.

Top Bottom