• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tesla announced Cybertruck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recommend a fact check on anything you see on this site.
It is very popular but in a survey of UK sources most either leant left or right politically but these people were found to frequently manipulate the story to make it fit their stance. Facts be damned.
The newspaper equivalent of fancy power chord vendors...

OTOH I completely agree that the problem with electric vehicles are many, and most based around the shortage of power points, potential of pollution from the power station being no better than cars (though at least the exhaust outlet isn't inches away from a child in a buggy) and the fact that even with fast chargers it takes a long time, plus fast charging the batteries shortens their life.
For me, plug in hybrid is the logical choice, has been for some time, and shows no sign of being superceeded because of infrastructure.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recommend a fact check on anything you see on this site.
It is very popular but in a survey of UK sources most either leant left or right politically but these people were found to frequently manipulate the story to make it fit their stance. Facts be damned.
The newspaper equivalent of fancy power chord vendors...

OTOH I completely agree that the problem with electric vehicles are many, and most based around the shortage of power points, potential of pollution from the power station being no better than cars (though at least the exhaust outlet isn't inches away from a child in a buggy) and the fact that even with fast chargers it takes a long time, plus fast charging the batteries shortens their life.
For me, plug in hybrid is the logical choice, has been for some time, and shows no sign of being superceeded because of infrastructure.
+1 on this. The Daily Mail is not often associated with facts. Reality doesn't seem to coincide with them very much. They are one of those places when I see some salacious headline on some topic, I don't even bother reading it. They always have twisted things and over-blown any facts they accidentally leave in their articles.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 on this. The Daily Mail is not often associated with facts. Reality doesn't seem to coincide with them very much. They are one of those places when I see some salacious headline on some topic, I don't even bother reading it. They always have twisted things and over-blown any facts they accidentally leave in their articles.
I actually don't read it at all. It just raises my blood pressure.
I read articles from right and left (and centre) and try to distil the facts, that is difficult enough without reading deliberate deception!

Wombat

Master Contributor

A little above NewsCorpse efforts.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
By the time the new Tesla Cybertruck hits the road (2022) the infrastructure for electric vehicles in California should surpass the number of gas stations. If not give it few more years, like by 2030. It's a positive figure of speech to say that eventually it's inevitable.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/12/06/tesla-alters-production-timeline-cybertruck/

Don't worry about the source (news outlet), and don't worry about the time to read the short article (less than 30 seconds), and don't worry about anything else because it's just news like any other news from anywhere we read every day, including FOX, CNN, New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, CBC, Knowledge Network, PBS, BBC, ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlin...s-rather-than-alternative-facts/#5b7e97f3e9b5

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those of you who think EV's are here.
The cars are clearly here, the infrastructure not so much.
You would think that the company could help solve this if it knows where all the cars are going, by telling people to pull over when there range isn't super low to use other charging stations, so they have range to drive past the busy ones.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Another thing Tesla will have to deal with is the reality of climate changes...snow storms during the holiday season, fires in California during the hot dry season, earthquakes, anything and everything related to climate and global changes and terrain's conditions and geographical positions, faults (natural and man-made...fracking, etc.).
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-14432401

Water is a rare commodity in California. Earthquakes are common occurences, just as fires.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He reinvented the VW Bug??

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rather watch it sink. :p

I find the deep undercurrent of anti-Americanism in anti-Tesla comments both fascinating and highly revealing.

One would think a patriotic American should have positive feelings about an innovative American company in an important and highly visible market that makes products people all over the world respect and covet. But no.

Wombat

Master Contributor
A
I find the deep undercurrent of anti-Americanism in anti-Tesla comments both fascinating and highly revealing.

One would think a patriotic American should have positive feelings about an innovative American company in an important and highly visible market that makes products people all over the world respect and covet. But no.

A heartfelt statement as in " aorta(they ought to) think like me".

I had an older friend who used "wouldn't you think …." in a similar way.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/0...-start-at-59900-deliveries-start-this-summer/

Maybe soon a real competitor to the model 3.

BTW, I'm not anti-American, and definitely not anti-Tesla or anti-electric. I'd like to have a model 3, but still think such things are a bit over-priced for their utility to me. OTOH, taking the long view they could be considered with such low operating costs and expected to last near a million miles a bargain to be had. I'm too young to get that kind of use out of it however.

On yet the other hand, the Cybertruck is the ugliest thing I've seen in some time. Once I sit in one or use I might forgive it, but it just didn't have to be this damn ugly. I'm anti-Cybertruck I think. The first Honda Accord I owned, which was the 1st generation, was an ugly car to me. Everything else about it was great however, and I guess you learn to love it like an ugly sister. Maybe the Cybertruck could be like that, but it could have been pretty too.

Wombat

Master Contributor
If it was presented as just another run-of-the-mill modern 'blob' body style we probably wouldn't be talking about it much.

To make it saleable to a conservative market segment the styling would need to be more mainstream.

The angular, flat slab-like panels were done-to-death by designer Giorgetto Giugiaro in the early nineteen seventies.

maserati-boomerang.jpg

photos-bmw-m1-1978-3-1508269274.jpg

our-5-favorite-giugiaro-wedge-cars-1476934599747.jpg

72f2bc63b133bcdbef63fe6d34b9ef41.jpg

images.jpg

delorean-dmc-12.jpg

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I hope so. Tesla needs some competition. Polestar (Volvo) and Ford seem most likely to provide it right now, unless the forthcoming VW's are much better than the Audi e-tron. The Japanese automakers are oddly asleep. I would've looked hard at Polestar 2. However, with two small kids a reservation for a 7-seater Model Y made more sense.

As for attractiveness, all these trucks are hideous and basically unsuitable outside of commercial or military use. I don't think this one's any worse than a Ram or F-150 or Hilux. Unfortunately such vehicles are a large market segment in the US commuter vehicle market, so a vehicle seller here needs one.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope so. Tesla needs some competition. Polestar (Volvo) and Ford seem most likely to provide it right now, unless the forthcoming VW's are much better than the Audi e-tron. The Japanese automakers are oddly asleep. I would've looked hard at Polestar 2. However, with two small kids a reservation for a 7-seater Model Y made more sense.

As for attractiveness, all these trucks are hideous and basically unsuitable outside of commercial or military use. I don't think this one's any worse than a Ram or F-150 or Hilux. Unfortunately such vehicles are a large market segment in the US commuter vehicle market, so a vehicle seller here needs one.
Thank you for altering your post @jhaider I altered this in accordance, and removed a later post.

The Japanese still seem stuck on the idea of a fuel cell future.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Like the claims of being 'unAmerican' we have claims of being unAustralian. Useless, partisan/sectarian, and otherwise undefined terms. IMNSHO. :facepalm:

Tesla will make it or not on its own merits. Many have ventured into automobile manufacture. The list of survivors is small.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom