• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tesla announced Cybertruck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on don't turn this thread into something needlessly political.

That's like saying don't say discuss margins in a discussion of expensive audio cables. The motivating principle matters.

The Japanese still seem stuck on the idea of a fuel cell future.

And hybrids, which are a great bridge from legacy to modern but still basically a bridge. I really don't understand what's going on with the Japanese automakers. Nissan had the first accessible modern car with their Leaf. Yet their future swanky Infiniti models are no-plug electric drive. Go figure.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really wanted to pick up a new Type-R as a commuter car since my V8 gets such horrible gas mileage - but in the end I just couldn't see myself not being embarrassed driving one around now. Twenty-five years ago... I'd have been all over such a car. Of course, I think my RC-F is ugly as sin too - just not quite as silly as the Type-R

https://www.google.com/search?q=Civic+Type+R+Sport+Line

But, too bad it will not be released in the US.

I had a regular 10th gen civic with the 1.5L turbo w/MT at first, then I had an Si before I came over here and it was great. Now that the regular hatch has the 1.5L turbo in a manual with the creature comforts I want (keyless, android auto) I will probably get that when I get back. I will definitely miss the LSD in the Si, it made a huge difference coming from the regular civic without it. If a Civic hatchback Si were made, that would be just about perfect IMHO. If I end up keeping the hatchback longer term, I might put the LSD in it (assuming it will work/fit). If you are OK with not having a hatch and want some sportier features, I would suggested to check out the Si. It's definitely not anywhere near as fast as the R, but also not nearly as stiff of a suspension or aggressive on the styling. After the rona dies down, how much can a test drive hurt anyway? :)

Or, the Golf R is everything I really want in a car, AWD turbocharged hatchback with a manual transmission*, but I can't justify the cost over what I can get any of the cars above for.
* I think you can count the # of these cars in the market in the US on one had now.

What is the V8 in question?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.google.com/search?q=Civic+Type+R+Sport+Line

But, too bad it will not be released in the US.

I had a regular 10th gen civic with the 1.5L turbo w/MT at first, then I had an Si before I came over here and it was great. Now that the regular hatch has the 1.5L turbo in a manual with the creature comforts I want (keyless, android auto) I will probably get that when I get back. I will definitely miss the LSD in the Si, it made a huge difference coming from the regular civic without it. If a Civic hatchback Si were made, that would be just about perfect IMHO. If I end up keeping the hatchback longer term, I might put the LSD in it (assuming it will work/fit). If you are OK with not having a hatch and want some sportier features, I would suggested to check out the Si. It's definitely not anywhere near as fast as the R, but also not nearly as stiff of a suspension or aggressive on the styling. After the rona dies down, how much can a test drive hurt anyway. :)

Or, the Golf R is everything I really want in a car, AWD turbocharged hatchback with a manual transmission*, but I can't justify the cost over what I can get any of the cars above for.
* I think you can count the # of these cars in the market in the US on one had now.

What is the V8 in question?
I think he is referring to the V8 in his Lexus RC-F.

Trouble Maker

I think he is referring to the V8 in his Lexus RC-F.

Ah, I missed that he said my RC-F.
In that case, he probably shouldn't move to any Civic. I actually generally like the way the RC-F looks other than the huge grill. I can't really understand the move to massive grills on cars lately. Lexus is the worst offender, imho.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is just it. You introduced an element to make the motivating factor matter. It isn't part of the thread topic. We don't need motivating factors regarding Tesla's truck in a way that is necessarily political.

Maybe you should start a thread about the motivations of un-american anti-tesla people. It isn't adding any value bringing it up here.

While I disagree, point taken and some content removed accordingly. No need to make such a thread though. Any time Tesla is a subject in “mixed company” unfortunately one sees it come out. Even when they make a big truck. Go figure.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I find the deep undercurrent of anti-Americanism in anti-Tesla comments both fascinating and highly revealing.
One would think a patriotic American should have positive feelings about an innovative American company in an important and highly visible market that makes products people all over the world respect and covet. But no.

I've said it before and will say it again. Toys run on batteries. Autos on gasoline, diesel, alcohol, propane, or nitro-methane.
Besides it's all a big joke, trading internal combustion pollution for more pollution from the electrical producers like coal.
Smart American's know when they're being hoodwinked by a billionaire looking to make more billions.
Simply a bunch of political BS promoted by west coast libtards.

BTW J, Why don't you post your homeland like the rest of us, ashamed?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We've heard it all before. Wasn't the way then and still isn't.
ford-second-prototype-ev1.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
I always thought Tesla was in the battery business, cars/vehicles being like a game franchise for consoles . So in that way the battery is the hardware while the vehicles are the software.

Might just be me though lol
They're in the power business... batteries obviously are a big part of that. I think their cars are OK, but in desperate need of a redesign at this point - so I'm definitely not interested in much of any they make.
On the other hand, their products for the home are very, very interesting to me.

A huge part of the joy of driving (to me at least) will always be a ICE with a loud exhaust. Having my house generate it's own power (silently and without emissions) on the other hand, is equally appealing.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most drivers are simply commuting, or picking up kids or groceries. They could care less about the fun of driving and are often on their phone while "driving." Autonomous EVs are perfect for them.

EVs decrease pollution and that is true over more than 90% of the roadways on the planet.

EVs also have a lot of torque and are quiet, so will capture the luxury market and much of the GT market.

Cult vehicles and light wt. sports cars will continue with ICE. Koenigsegg has a magically light wt. and powerful 3 cyl. motor out now BTW...

Colonel7

They're in the power business... batteries obviously are a big part of that. I think their cars are OK, but in desperate need of a redesign at this point - so I'm definitely not interested in much of any they make.
On the other hand, their products for the home are very, very interesting to me.

A huge part of the joy of driving (to me at least) will always be a ICE with a loud exhaust. Having my house generate it's own power (silently and without emissions) on the other hand, is equally appealing.
Well their cars are real and the S is very nice. Last year the solar roof was not, meaning they installed less than 200 nationwide. It also seems to be a different product than last year (last year's had less lifetime than regular solar panels and covered the whole roof). The powerwall is cool but gimmicky as a backup.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's an incredible piece of engineering.
Just watched a "How It's Made" Discovery Channel show about it.
The 16 cylinder, quad turbo'd, 16W configuration Bugatti :eek:
What beautiful machining. Check out the hand finished ports on the head!
1,184 HP Man Oh Man, Give me one please, I'll lower that sucker right into my Ram pickup. :cool:
1200px-Volkswagen_W16.jpg

d43cd912e3919cbe0806b2784fbabef0.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
I think you could safely tow a semi with that in your truck. :oops: While the output and engineering it represents are amazing... I'm guessing that the entire longblock assembly weighs about 40% as much as my entire car. LOL!

If everyone stays locked down (except me), if I win the lottery, and if gas remains under $2/gal... in that dream world I'll get one and see how it drives. In the real world however, there's far better things I can think of to spend ~$3.35M on. Of course, you could save about half that and just get a pedestrian Veyron... or a third and get a "normal" Chiron... but that's just sad if you ask me. I'm pretty sure the guilt alone for such conspicuous consumption in a world full of people working for $1/week in some parts of it would prevent full enjoyment (at least after the first few hard pulls to 200 mph). ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
I think you could safely tow a semi with that in your truck. :oops: While the output and engineering it represents are amazing... I'm guessing that the entire longblock assembly weighs about 40% as much as my entire car. LOL!

If everyone stays locked down (except me), if I win the lottery, and if gas remains under $2/gal... in that dream world I'll get one and see how it drives. In the real world however, there's far better things I can think of to spend ~$3.35M on. Of course, you could save about half that and just get a pedestrian Veyron... or a third and get a "normal" Chiron... but that's just sad if you ask me. I'm pretty sure the guilt alone for such conspicuous consumption in a world full of people working for $1/week in some parts of it would prevent full enjoyment (at least after the first few hard pulls to 200 mph). ;)

A Dodge Viper should be enough to scare the dickens out of most mere mortals. Used late models around $100,000 plus plus. :eek:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I always thought Tesla was in the battery business, cars/vehicles being like a game franchise for consoles . So in that way the battery is the hardware while the vehicles are the software.

Might just be me though lol
I think Tesla (let me rephrase that -- Elon Musk) is in the "getting large amounts of money from investors and government agencies to fiddle around" business -- but maybe that's just me. :cool:

PS Full disclosure: I am on the list for a Cybertruck, too (albeit with my son-in-law; we'll go halfsies on one if they ever do exist).

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've said it before and will say it again. Toys run on batteries. Autos on gasoline, diesel, alcohol, propane, or nitro-methane.

I read that and help but see this picture (source: USA Today).
USA Today pic.png

But speaking of toys, thanks for giving me a little research project to work on with our kindergartener this week. It was really fun – I taught her some search basics, how to copy-and-paste. I was also pleased she's already an advanced enough reader to be able to skim a text for key terms. We complied statistics for four modern cars and two legacy exotic cars. You previously called one of the legacy exotics an “incredible engineering accomplishment” with “nothing like it for twice the money.”

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 2.45.13 PM.png

tl;dr – the modern minivan and oversized sedans all beat the Vette in absolute performance, while the large modern sedan is almost as fast while being much cheaper and 4x more efficient. Turns out an “incredible engineering achievement” in legacy exotic autos is just a good view of a minivan’s hatch.

The other factor of note: energy efficiency. Obviously the modern vehicles are are vastly superior to legacy exotics. More interestingly, all three American modern vehicles, even the minivan, are substantially more energy efficient than the modern sedan developed by arguably the most advanced legacy car company in the world today. The peer comparison actually favors long-in-the-tooth Model S over nagelneuer Taycan in every factor including weight. USA! USA!

Besides it's all a big joke, trading internal combustion pollution for more pollution from the electrical producers like coal.

First: even if pollution levels are similar (which they are not!) do you deny the human health benefits to moving pollution out of highly populated areas? Just look at pictures of the skies over LA, Delhi, etc. during these lockdowns, when local pollution sources were restricted, compared to similar photos from the same dates in years past.

Second, I’m proud of you for dumping on coal. That makes you a half-step smarter than your idol. However, it’s ultimately easier to change central power sources than to get millions of toxic decomposed algae burning things off the road. Power utilities have a deeper understanding of this stuff than the typical redcap. Even red states such as Texas are investing heavily in modern power sources. In 2019, wind satisfied a higher percentage of Texan electricity needs than coal. Wind power was Texas’s #2 source, behind only natural gas.

Windmills are the absolute best!!!! :)

Smart American's know when they're being hoodwinked by a billionaire looking to make more billions.

In light of his recent comments (results of a bad trip?) I'm not going to defend Elon Musk on a human level. However, he has no political power, so those comments are just rantings on twitter.

Smarter Americans are dismayed when their countrymen are captured by the cult of a corrupt white supremacist serial business failure who screams he’s a billionaire even though we all know that if the former Soviet Communists, and as we’ve recently learned banks connected to the Chinese Communist Party, call in their loans he will be shown to have even lower net worth than most of his base. ;) The word of the day is “kompromat,” and their goal is the erosion of American power so that crappy powers can operate with greater impunity.

While it's a cheap shot, I also have to point out smart Americans know the difference between plural and possessive. :)

Simply a bunch of political BS promoted by west coast libtards.

(@Wombat, QED)

Hey! Who the effing hell are you calling West Coast?

(Warning: explicit language. Do not open link around small children)

If you really want to stick it to your so-called “west coast libtards,” return your new speakers. They are fruits of the poison tree.

BTW J, Why don't you post your homeland like the rest of us, ashamed?

My "homeland" is this globe. As for my domicile, my state's governor, who stole his election, has justly reached global laughingstock status. First was his purge order, designed to yank benefits from poor working people so as to force them to choose between starving or risking their lives to disease. Now, back to the subject of cars, Comrade Kemp recently decreed new driver's licenses will be issued based on parental permission! Hopefully the fecklessness of such a diktat is not a partisan issue.

Reactions: Wes

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that chart imagining that electric cars can be recharged in "seconds"?

Please read the chart. It reflects the reality that the vast majority of human round trips are less than range/2, so the human time required to renew the range is the time it takes to pull down the cord and insert it into the car's plug. No need to drive around, pull into a toxic liquid depot, possibly wait for a pump, stand around while the toxic liquid tank is being filled, etc. Just plug it in at home (or work, or the supermarket, or the mall, and so on) and walk away until you need to drive somewhere again.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please read the chart. It reflects the reality that the vast majority of human round trips are less than range/2, so the human time required to renew the range is the time it takes to pull down the cord and insert it into the car's plug. Plug it in at home and walk away until you need to drive somewhere again.

The problem is that it's a very vague label although it is true with the rest of your elaboration.

It also pretty much assumes you're a middle class suburban home owner or an upper class city dweller. Otherwise you'll have no place to park it overnight within reach of an outlet and (if the infrastructure actually existed you'll be waiting around at a super charging station for longer than it takes to pump gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom