• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tesla announced Cybertruck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that it's a very vague label although it is true with the rest of your elaboration.

It also pretty much assumes you're a middle class suburban home owner or an upper class city dweller. Otherwise you'll have no place to park it overnight within reach of an outlet and (if the infrastructure actually existed you'll be waiting around at a super charging station for longer than it takes to pump gas.

I take your point that there are still some infrastructure challenges to universal modern car adoption. However, I think you overstate. Many urban workplaces have charging facilities in their parking decks, as do shopping destinations such as malls and supermarkets. Newer condo or apartment complexes also incorporate charging facilities. There are also workarounds. I knew someone with a Leaf but no garage or carport. When she charged at home she ran a standard 120V extension cord from the front door to the curb and never really complained about range anxiety.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
When she charged at home she ran a standard 120V extension cord from the front door to the curb and never really complained about range anxiety.

1588369024864.png

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I take your point that there are still some infrastructure challenges to universal modern car adoption. However, I think you overstate. Many urban workplaces have charging facilities in their parking decks, as do shopping destinations such as malls and supermarkets. Newer condo or apartment complexes also incorporate charging facilities. There are also workarounds. I knew someone with a Leaf but no garage or carport. When she charged at home she ran a standard 120V extension cord from the front door to the curb and never really complained about range anxiety.

The infrastructure challenges are enormous. It will take decades of steady growth for that to become a normal thing. As it stands electric cars are mostly a niche product for those suffering from excessive first world guilt.

I think that someone will come up with an economical way to make carbon neutral bio-synthesized gasoline before the car charging infrastructure becomes developed enough to make it a mainstream alternative.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
God bless Pres Trump and his vision to see the truth inside the bigger environmental picture.
Glad to hear you wasted all that time doing your homework for that graph.
Sad to hear your allowed to brainwash children with your sideways views.
Don't worry, be happy.

View attachment 61386
Depends on where you live but coal use is rapidly declining. It was only about 10 years ago that coal was a steady 48% of US generation. Times change
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please read the chart. It reflects the reality that the vast majority of human round trips are less than range/2, so the human time required to renew the range is the time it takes to pull down the cord and insert it into the car's plug. No need to drive around, pull into a toxic liquid depot, possibly wait for a pump, stand around while the toxic liquid tank is being filled, etc. Just plug it in at home (or work, or the supermarket, or the mall, and so on) and walk away until you need to drive somewhere again.
It reflects magical thinking. If that were the case there wouldn't be hundreds of millions $ spent on research every year on better battery chemistries and extreme fast charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom