• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 14.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 82.0%

• Total voters

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be nice to add inter-sample overage measurements with all DACs moving forward, like those provided by Rja4000.

index.php

- Rich

Last edited:

zdykstra

17136396660027177529538912075820.jpg

After a long long wait, my D50 III arrived. Connected to a Lenovo Tiny PC over USB as the source, into a pair of ICEPower 125asx2 boards in a GhentAudio case. I might need to upgrade the amp now that my signal is far far cleaner ....

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be nice to add intrasample overage measurements with all DACs moving forward, like those provided by Rja4000.

index.php

- Rich
I agree. Ever since I found out about intersample overs and since I've measured a load of my tracks for intersample overs I worked out that most tracks fell within the bracket of up to +2dB peaks intersample overs with a few just a little above, so I always put in around -3dB extra on the negative preamp (on top of what's required for an EQ) to ensure no intersample overs get through. I suppose the beauty of this measurement you're suggesting means that if you get the right DAC that can deal well with intersample overs then you wouldn't need to go to the trouble of putting in a -3dB negative preamp to avoid potential intersample overs, which means more power available and a bit better SINAD.

iv0

so what about the topping p50 power supply. can that one be used?

Bleib

Major Contributor
so what about the topping p50 power supply. can that one be used?
Obviously. 5v out. But I doubt it's needed.

oscar_dziki

If I can understand what you are saying,you can see some measurements about what you want in the other review (just before the end of the review) of D50 III here:

Fair point. But we don't want to rely on unofficial measurements in the long run. Also, it kind of proves my point that @Rja4000 found it to be a good idea to include such a measurement. However, in the official version, it should be standardized - same as other measurements are.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Fair point. But we don't want to rely on unofficial measurements in the long run. Also, it kind of proves my point that @Rja4000 found it to be a good idea to include such a measurement. However, in the official version, it should be standardized - same as other measurements are.
Agreed,we want to rely on reliable measurements.
@Rja4000 's measurements are such,I for once would rely fully on then specially after the fact that the data agree very closely with Amir's.

What we see here is a good start concerning EQ.
But there's still a lot to be done to be perfect.

OldTimer

You can store multiple PEQ presets on the D50 III, and they can be used without Topping Tune running in the background.

That way, you can for example configure the PEQ on a Windows PC, then use it on a Mac.
Does it mean people can’t tune the EQ if don’t have Windows PC?

capslock

Does it mean people can’t tune the EQ if don’t have Windows PC?

Wait. The PEQ is not implemented in the driver for the Windows PC but somewhere in the box, presumably the XMOS? If so, why not apply it to S/PDIF in, too? In order to use it, one would need to buy an additional S/PDIF to USB device, which seems superfluous.

Now can we have the PEQ (ideally including LP, HP, shelving) in a multichannel DAC such as a successor to the DM7 please?

Last edited:

OldTimer

Wait. The PEQ is not implemented in the driver for the Windows PC but somewhere in the box? If so, why not apply it to S/PDIF in, too? In order to use it, one would need to buy an additional S/PDIF to USB device, which seems superfluous.

Now can we have the PEQ (ideally including LP, HP, shelving) in a multichannel DAC such as a successor to the DM7 please?
Adding device is not a solution.

capslock

Adding device is not a solution.
You mean device = cheapo S/PDIF or optical to USB out? If the PEQ is indeed implemented in the XMOS, it should work.

Something like this, though you'd have to find a USB-A female to USB-C male adapter: https://www.amazon.de/Cubilux-Optischer-USB-Empfänger-Schnittstelle-Stereo-Audio-Signal/dp/B0BQQLFQ59

One really has to wonder how the S/PDIF-in on the D50III is routed to the DAC. Or is it an input at all and not an output? The specs don't bother to mention the coaxial and optical interfaces.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Wait. The PEQ is not implemented in the driver for the Windows PC but somewhere in the box, presumably the XMOS? If so, why not apply it to S/PDIF in, too? In order to use it, one would need to buy an additional S/PDIF to USB device, which seems superfluous.

Presumably they are routing the coax and toslink direct to the DAC chip's spdif input, rather than via the XMOS. That's what Khadas did with the Tone Board. IIRC the XMOS can be used as an spdif receiver, so it seems like a design choice. It could be as simple as deciding to add the PEQ late in the day, after the hardware design had been done.

The DM7 apparently didn't sell well (too close to interfaces with more features like the Ultralite Mk5 I suspect) and given the extra channels it would need a more capable processor. Rather like the Flex 8 - if only there was a balanced version.

Dr.Deadwax

Of course not,if it did something really strange would be at play.
For sure ? But then the PEQ isn't suitable as a room correction if it doesn't work with all signals. Could it be that it converts the signals to PCM?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Could it be that it converts the signals to PCM?
I surely hope not.
But user can do it (convert) prior to the DAC input,at the player,etc.

Same goes with software,as an example Mathaudio EQ plug-in for foobar only applies to PCM,when DSD is played no EQ is applied.

Top Bottom