• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 14.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 237 82.3%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does it store the EQ settings for the USB input on the device or do you have to keep the software running after setting it?
You can store multiple PEQ presets on the D50 III, and they can be used without Topping Tune running in the background.

That way, you can for example configure the PEQ on a Windows PC, then use it on a Mac.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You can store multiple PEQ presets on the D50 III, and they can be used without Topping Tune running in the background.

That way, you can for example configure the PEQ on a Windows PC, then use it on a Mac.
Ok nice! My T5V's need a simple correction for which I use EqualizerAPO right now but I'd prefer just having it in the DAC.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is great to see! Hopefully this is the beginning of an era of super-common PEQ capabilities and easy-to-use apps.

As I've said many times, DSP modules with 10-band PEQ capability are as common as dirt. Almost any bluetooth headphone or speaker you buy actually has it onboard already. Parts cost is not the issue. It's just that companies willing to build (and support!) the firmware and app to open this functionality to the user have been as rare as diamonds, so far.

KEF, are you listening? :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
We also have to mention that EQ is applied to both channels and (until now) there's no way for different settings on each channel.
That makes Room EQ very difficult but I guess is good news for headphone users.
It's a start though.

Nice, send some shivers down the spine of RME.
Nope,the quality of RME's filters is still out of reach by these companies,including miniDSP which makes stuff like this for a long time.

Otherwise really nice measurements.

Thanks Amir!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the in total 10 PEQ filters be spread for the left and and right channel, for example 5+5? If not its not really useful for most room correction where there are usually significant asymmetries.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When one manufacturer offered MQA then they all piled on. I hope this is a start of the equalizer competition for DACs instead of paying extra for MQA licenses which don't do anything. Let the DAC parametric EQ arms race begin!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Can the in total 10 PEQ filters be spread for the left and and right channel, for example 5+5? If not its not really useful for most room correction where there are usually significant asymmetries.
As I wrote one post above yours it seems that this can't happen with the existing firmware.
At least that was the conclusion at the other thread ( @Rja4000 's) about it.

We can see it in the app too,no channel mention:

1713396894339.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does it store the EQ settings for the USB input on the device or do you have to keep the software running after setting it?
It is stored on the DAC. You don't need the app after the initial configuration.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I wrote one post above yours it seems that this can't happen with the existing firmware.
At least that was the conclusion at the other thread ( @Rja4000 's) about it.

We can see it in the app too,no channel mention:

View attachment 364388
Yes, I saw that screenshot and checked also its manual but still had hope it was hidden somewhere, our posts overlapped so I didn't see yours while I was typing mine. Hope they they will implement such a functionality with a firmware update or version IV.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Yeah….yeah Topping, you’ve finally given us peq, but we now want streaming as well - Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon music, and roon ready as well, perhaps an oled screen, nice remote, and finally an app so that we can control it from our phones. All in the same form factor.

Come back when your done,

Only joking…….what a brilliant little dac :D

georgehifi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't come with a stand alone power supply?
It can only be powered via a usb socket?
What is a good mains wall wart with usb output? (iphone?)

Cheers George

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know people here have asked for this a while now, but is there any advantage on using EQ on the DAC stage instead on already at the source?

ChenHui

Although this EQ seems to be very powerful, I am a little confused about it. I don't understand how to actually use this.

JW001

I know people here have asked for this a while now, but is there any advantage on using EQ on the DAC stage instead on already at the source?
You can use it on multiple sources (for example, toslink from a TV, USB from foobar2000, spdif from a cd/bluray player).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is source independent. In my case I have EQ in Roon but when I play youtube, there isn't one.

Top Bottom