• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 81.9%

• Total voters

carlmart

Thanks, of course I had seen the ASR review first than any others.

Hoped there might be a linear supply inside, but there's not. We'll have to get used that linear supplies are a thing of the past, and pray DC-DC ones get better with time.

The output chips seem to be inside the big metal box, so they will remain a mystery.

sandeep_s300

I always wondered what kind of master clock are they using . They have bandwidth setting option between 4-15, which is to manage jitter. Has anyone tried playing around with the setting and heated any audible difference ?

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone please explain to me what this means? Did anyone experience a similar "problem" with a PC or Mac USB connection?

"While the D70 PRO performed outstandingly when connected directly to a desktop PC, playing back lossless files via Foobar2000 and JRiver software players, something changed in its overall performance when connected to the USB port of the DMP-A6. The DMP-A6 played music directly from its internal memory or via streaming services like Qobuz and Tidal, completely bypassing a desktop PC and its operating system. This alteration resulted in the D70 PRO sounding incredibly clean and highly transparent, without adding a smidge of grain, digitus, and aggressiveness which I heard when linked to a PC, making the music enjoyable even at higher sound pressure levels."

Veri

Master Contributor
The DMP-A6 played music directly from its internal memory or via streaming services like Qobuz and Tidal, completely bypassing a desktop PC and its operating system. This alteration resulted in the D70 PRO sounding incredibly clean and highly transparent, without adding a smidge of grain, digitus, and aggressiveness which I heard when linked to a PC, making the music enjoyable even at higher sound pressure levels."
Audiophile bullshit lingo for "I added another expensive device, and suddenly everything sounders clear-er and better-er" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

soerenssen

Audiophile bullshit lingo for "I added another expensive device, and suddenly everything sounders clear-er and better-er" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This was his explanation:
"Even when using the same USB input of D70 PRO, it sounded better when I completely removed my PC from the acoustic chain. This is due to the noise that goes through the USB port, along with latency and the cleanliness of the signal. For the best performance out of this stack, an EverSolo DMP-A6 felt like a must-have unit."

Veri

Master Contributor
This was his explanation:
"Even when using the same USB input of D70 PRO, it sounded better when I completely removed my PC from the acoustic chain. This is due to the noise that goes through the USB port, along with latency and the cleanliness of the signal. For the best performance out of this stack, an EverSolo DMP-A6 felt like a must-have unit."
Must-have. Night and day! Wife heard it from the kitchen, came over and asked him oh what component did he change, the change is D R A S T I C..
Don't buy into these kind of stories. USB noise.. just ask yourself, can you hear any noise right now? What 'USB noise' is there even to fix??

Last edited:

soerenssen

I'm planning to run an Audirvana / Dirac Live 2.1 setup from MacOS, using D70 Pro DAC for LR and a cheap second DAC for my active sub. In MacOS a virtual audio device can be created for the 2 DACs. In order to avoid clock sync issues, what DAC do you recommend pairing the D70 Pro with?

MLaranjeiras

My biggest concern with these DACs is investing US$ 500.00 in an upgrade (my E50, which I like a lot and many who own very expensive DACs liked it too) and get frustrated if I don't find a relevant gain, in my "non-audiophile" room . Amir gives great technical reviews and, for them, there would be no reason to change a Topping D10s for any other. I look on Youtube for comparisons "on the ear" of a simpler Topping DAC vs a top of the line, but for now, it's a lot of talk and always the newest is the best. As I have a Sansui Integrated from 1990, I know that this is not the case.

soerenssen

My biggest concern with these DACs is investing US$ 500.00 in an upgrade (my E50, which I like a lot and many who own very expensive DACs liked it too) and get frustrated if I don't find a relevant gain, in my "non-audiophile" room . Amir gives great technical reviews and, for them, there would be no reason to change a Topping D10s for any other. I look on Youtube for comparisons "on the ear" of a simpler Topping DAC vs a top of the line, but for now, it's a lot of talk and always the newest is the best. As I have a Sansui Integrated from 1990, I know that this is not the case.
I don't have a 2ch DAC currently, so in my case this won't be an upgrade but a first buy. I'm looking for the best bang for buck DAC and matching pre-amp to drive an NCx500 + Kef Reference 3 Meta combo. I don't know how much difference I would hear between an E50 and a D70 Pro. According to Sandu from soundnews it's better than previous Topping DACs. But will I hear it? I don't know.

cheapmessiah

Youtube people are influencers, the majority of them are in it as advertisers and hype-creators, not necesarily to be just in cahoots with the brands, but also to keep their audiences invested on the content.

Realisticly, topping D10S, D10B and SMSL D-6 are the only kinds of DACs that make sense to buy depending on how many features one might need, then RME ADI-2 is the only DAC that gives something extra thtas useful, the PEQ.

If topping or SMSL took the D-6 concept, added 10 band PEQ with 5 to 10 memory slots, and package it so it can be sold for under 400$ that would be it, endgame dac.

soerenssen

Can I combine the D70 Pro with the E50 or will I have sync issues with this setup?
D70 Pro would be connected to LR. E50 would be connected to 1 or 2 active subs.

soerenssen

I'm starting to have the same gut feeling. If a DAC is just a DAC, clean/natural enough and anyway it is not supposed to change anything, then I'm wondering what one is paying for beyond audible levels besides features and design. In my case, I'm looking for a DAC for my living room, so it's a plus if it looks good and also convenient so I don't have to go there to turn it on/off or adjust volume, it can trigger the pre-amp and the amp, and it can be turned on by my Wiim Pro.

Edit: personally I like the E50 but that trigger is missing for me.

MLaranjeiras

I'm starting to have the same gut feeling. If a DAC is just a DAC, clean/natural enough and anyway it is not supposed to change anything, then I'm wondering what one is paying for beyond audible levels besides features and design. In my case, I'm looking for a DAC for my living room, so it's a plus if it looks good and also convenient so I don't have to go there to turn it on/off or adjust volume, it can trigger the pre-amp and the amp, and it can be turned on by my Wiim Pro.

Edit: personally I like the E50 but that trigger is missing for me.
A bought a Hiby FC4 DAC and it is fine, but generates noise when connected to the integrated amplifier. In terms of sound, once more, no audible diference compared with the Topping E50. Its advantage for using as a desktop (Mac Mini) DAC is its stealth form. Dissapears behind the forniture. Again, some folks stimulated me to spend almost US$ 2,000.00 on R2R or a Wyred 4 Sound 2v2 SE DAC and I said ok, maybe. If I listen before paying. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-wyred4sound-dac-2v2-se-dac.6507/

Bob101

I got this because of the VU meter option. Ever since I changed my amp from a Yamaha A-S1100 to the audiophonics purify power amp, something was missing in the visual department, and it delivers:)
I now have a Topping E50 and a Yamaha A-S1100 for sale.

Attachments

• 20230811_134947.jpg
    20230811_134947.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 183

MLaranjeiras

I got this because of the VU meter option. Ever since I changed my amp from a Yamaha A-S1100 to the audiophonics purify power amp, something was missing in the visual department, and it delivers:)
I now have a Topping E50 and a Yamaha A-S1100 for sale.
Did you hear any major diference between the "sound quality" between the Topping E50 and the Topping E70 Pro that makes for you worth the investiment? Also, can you comment about the sound of the Purifi compared with the Yamaha. Class D Hypex is smooth or trends to be more dry/agressive, needing care on pairing?

MLaranjeiras

Did you hear any major diference between the "sound quality" between the Topping E50 and the Topping E70 Pro that makes for you worth the investiment? Also, can you comment about the sound of the Purifi compared with the Yamaha. Class D Hypex is smooth or trends to be more dry/agressive, needing care on pairing?
A70, I meant.

MLaranjeiras

Once i like de smooth sound of vintage Sansui, I am curious about the D class amplifiers, Hypex etc. Also, need a testimony to think in giving a leap on DACs.

Top Bottom