• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Mushidon

Yes, as far as I can tell, the pro+ has a relay at the headphone output. It's probably this you're hearing switching on.

That's a relief, reading the manual, it seems that the topping dx3 pro+ doesn't turn off properly like other dac/amps I had but goes into standby when I press the button on the remote, so I thought the noise might be a problem, thanks!

@Mushidon about the power, fortunately you can't do much wrong as long as it's 15V DC (can anyone confirm the default supplied amperage?) so it should be fine really. Most switching supplies have wide compatibility though so a travel adapter on the topping supplied one will likely work too. That's what I did with the US THX 789 I had.

Thats nice to me, I'll look for an adapter to buy, thanks.

860lacov

In similar price. Can I find something better to use as a USB/Bluetooth DAC only?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Better in what way? The D50s is a bit more expensive, but it has Bluetooth and no headphone amp.

860lacov

Better in what way? The D50s is a bit more expensive, but it has Bluetooth and no headphone amp.
Better functionality, build quality, reliability or sound quality (I don't think test I'll be able to hear better sound quality than dx3 provides)

Simply alternative in similar price.

I don't care about headphone amp

I read (on asr too) some information about dx3 blowing up headphones (probably not blowing but destroying somehow- not sure how to call it in English).

For me topping d10s/b would be perfect but it doesn't have Bluetooth.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I read (on asr too) some information about dx3 blowing up headphones (probably not blowing but destroying somehow- not sure how to call it in English).

That was an older hardware revision. There was a PRO and a PRO v2 before the PRO+.

xnor

If yes, its possible to use a plug adapter US to EU without risks?
It should say very clearly on the adapter itself which AC mains voltage/frequency it accepts. Plugging an adapter that is designed only for 120V/60 Hz into a EU 240V/50 Hz socket would probably cause damage.

Mushidon

It should say very clearly on the adapter itself which AC mains voltage/frequency it accepts. Plugging an adapter that is designed only for 120V/60 Hz into a EU 240V/50 Hz socket would probably cause damage.

I bought another power suply adapter on aliexpress with the same AC Main voltage/frequency of the power suply who came with the topping dx3 pro+. Apparently this type of adapter is universal.

BXLMatt

Well, I'm glad I didn't pay a penny for this DAC because 3 weeks in and it has developed a very noticeable crackle through the headphone jack.

My experience: sounds great but can't deal with the optical out from my LG TV without cutting out. Hugely powerful headphone amp that develops a serious fault within a month. Do they test these things?

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The amazon service representative said there was nothing she could do because the seller blocked the return.
The story ended with my friend,
who got the refund from amazon,
and can do whatever he wants with the device. So the employee...
Who was the seller?

jani80k

Ask for a replacement unit ;)

thorn

Yea, I have Amazon Prime so Amazon Music and Youtube Music mostly. Like most people or even seasoned Audiophiles ;), I can't really tell the difference between 128KBs-320KBs MP3, even when compared to Flac lossless music so I don't download Flac.

I know I can't hear anything above ~13khz. As you get older, the highs seem to go. :( I think the mp3s drop the high freq to save space/bandwidth.

dreamscene

Conclusion

Considering the current market conditions, the DX3 Pro+ comes out as a very competitive and well-priced device. It offers an incredible price-performance ratio, especially compared to past years, with many good features combined in a small package and affordable price. If you are a beginner to the hobby and want to buy a DAC & AMP, this product should be one of your first choices. If you have been in the hobby for a long time, I would definitely recommend listening to this product to see how much equipment under 200 dollars has improved.

Last edited:

Jj_chandy

I've been using the hd58x, grado hemp and dt770pros and my experience with the dx3 pro + is similar to yours, it's not natural sounding and the notes have a slightly hard/painful edge to them. I didn't experience this with my topping nx4 dsd, modi 3+ and heresy stack, nor with my modius and asgard 3 stack. I don't know what's going on, It's very slight but it's troublesome enough that it is getting in the way of my music enjoyment

jani80k

I've been using the hd58x, grado hemp and dt770pros and my experience with the dx3 pro + is similar to yours, it's not natural sounding and the notes have a slightly hard/painful edge to them. I didn't experience this with my topping nx4 dsd, modi 3+ and heresy stack, nor with my modius and asgard 3 stack. I don't know what's going on, It's very slight but it's troublesome enough that it is getting in the way of my music enjoyment
A buddy of mine reported the same. I think it is the headphone out.

Barry_G

Thanks. Driver 5.0 works
Driver v5.12 is on the Topping Web site and is last version that will run under Windows 7. They don't publish revision history so no idea the differences between all the versions and what is missed in not being able to upgrade to current v5.30

Am I correct in assuming there is no way to constantly display sampling frequency rather than gain level in USB mode?

gael

There is a very noticeable noise floor when on SPDIF and running a game on a PC (namely Total War: Warhammer 2). Totally silent on USB. Can someone test it please?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am thinking of getting this. Is Apos audio reliable, or should I stick to Amazon ?

GeorgeWalk

I bought mine through Apos and I have no issues. I have also bought a bunch of other things from Apos and I have had no problems.

Love Symbol

Mine arrived today and there was a night and day difference from the old V2 version. My wife came running from the kitchen, tears in her eyes, overwhelmed by the beauty. And then I woke up and realised I had nodded off without even unpacking the new one. I thought it was odd because I'm not even married.
Now it's plugged in and there is a night and day difference - the new one being black instead of shiny silver - and I'm basking in the improved measurements that sound exactly the same to me. Happy days.
333 / 5 000
I can't help laughing since I read this post which led me to register on the forum!

After buying a Sennheiser HD 660S, I tried to learn about headphone amplifiers. That's how I found out about ASR and this thread in particular.

Thank to all, especially Amir and Erin for sharing knowledge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom