• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ordered a dx3 pro+ and a sennheiser 560s. Looking forward to my first non cheapo headphone setup! Thanks @amirm for making this easy for us

860lacov

In general
Which option is better (better quality)
Low gain and volume level around -30
Or
High gain and volume levels around -50
?

dreamscene

In general
Or
?
Most audiophiles can't tell the difference between 256KB/s MP3 vs uncompressed music and also most cannot even tell the difference between a modern built in pc motherboard soundcard vs expensive Dac and Amp at the same volume. Don't overthink.

MCH

Major Contributor
In general
Or
?
Theoretically the first one, in practice dreamscene might be right, or not (if you can hear noise)

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
My DX3 Pro+ arrived today. I mostly listen to music from Spotify and Apply Music, with the occasional hi-res track thrown in. USB from Macbook Air, system volume at max and software (Spotify/Apply Music) volume at 50%; daily headphones are Oppo PM-3 with occasional listens on my Drop (Sennheiser) 6XXs. It is replacing/augmenting/sitting on top of a SMSL SU-8 and a Topping L30. I have previously used an O2/ODAC, Drop THX amp (preferred the L30, didn't need balanced), and a few other products in that price range. My go-to testing album is Bela Fleck's Tales from the Acoustic Planet.

First impressions: Headphone jack is physically very tight. Sound is very clean. Not overwhelming power. Very *clear* instrumental separation, to the point that it's distracting compared to what I'm used to. Bass drum kicks sound outstanding. There's a little "whump" that hits you in the chest (ok, ear, fine) like it would at a live show. Studio recordings sound live, and I mean that in a value-neutral way: I can visualize folks in the studio, carefully putting down tracks, and hear little human or engineering imperfections (an out of tune note, a little too much emphases on that bass drum, maybe that piano shouldn't be so far into the right channel) that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Am I biased because I am sitting here doing active listening in an otherwise silent house? Absolutely. Honestly, it's so clear it's a little hard to listen to sometimes - I can see why a previous reviewer said it sounded tinny. (I'm also obviously biased by his comments. C'est la vie.) I'm not a drum and bass guy but I started looking for tracks to try out. The bass on this thing sounds *superb.*

To compare, I switched back and forth between the DX3 Pro+ and my old SMSL SU-8/RCA/Topping L30 stack. (Switching involved moving the USB cable and headphone cable. Levels were matched by ear.) Even at fairly uncomfortable listening volumes (the L30 can go *way* louder than the DX3 Pro+; I never take the L30 past 12 o'clock on low gain), I didn't hear the same clarity as with the DX3 Pro+.

In short: it sounds fantastic. I didn't think I'd hear a difference but I am (or I am imagining it, and either way I am a satisfied customer!). Now if Apple Music could just throw in some Exclusive Mode... great work @JohnYang1997 and co!

Hxx

in my opinion it does not beat a dac+amp combo, but let's see what you say.
it replaced my motu m2 interface+liquid spark stack :) if you can call that a stack i guess. I genuinely think the dx3pro+ sounded better plus BT more power and way cheaper.

davidrf

It doesn't have infinite capability as far as low impedance headphones are concerned so for that, you need to step up to myriad of other options from Topping.
Hi there, I wonder if my Sennheiser HD595 are considered "low impedance headphones" and if I thus must avoid the Topping DX3 Pro+. I can't be sure but I think I have the 50ohm model (the first series of HD595 were 120ohm). Thanks!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there, I wonder if my Sennheiser HD595 are considered "low impedance headphones" and if I thus must avoid the Topping DX3 Pro+. I can't be sure but I think I have the 50ohm model (the first series of HD595 were 120ohm). Thanks!

The DX3 Pro+ only has a problem with very low impedance, very low sensitivity headphones. Your HD595 will be fine. Most lower impedance headphones would be fine.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The DX3 Pro+ only has a problem with very low impedance
Does it though?
THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

jani80k

it replaced my motu m2 interface+liquid spark stack :) if you can call that a stack i guess. I genuinely think the dx3pro+ sounded better plus BT more power and way cheaper.
I also have liquid spark. In my opinion, dx3+ in DAC mode connected to Liquid Spark as AMP sounded smoother and more natural that dx3+ headphone out. If you try it out, make sure you put the volume to 0 db.

Bun-Bun

Can anyone comment on the volume knob of the DX3 Pro+? How does it compare to the original? Satisfying clicks with accurate response? (That is not double stepping or skipping volume?)

Also are there siliencing relays on this unit? Or at least no audible thud through the amp/speakers when the unit powers on/off?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm such a newbie I can't properly read those graphs.
The clipping points are at the very end. Performance is very good right up to the point where it runs out of juice..

staticV3

Master Contributor
@raistlin65
Then how do you explain the extra power that WolfX-700 saw on his unit?
I can see how Amir's results may stem from low resolution (high step size) + long enough test duration for each step to make the DX3Pro+ overheat, causing early clipping.
I can not see how the DX3Pro+ could trick Wolf's APx555 into seeing more power than it is actually capable of.

Edit:
I plotted output voltage @knee vs load for both measurements:
chart export.png

Which one looks like the Amp's actual performance I wonder

Last edited:

davidrf

@raistlin65
I can see how Amir's results may stem from low resolution (high step size) + long enough test duration for each step to make the DX3Pro+ overheat, causing early clipping.
I can not see how the DX3Pro+ could trick Wolf's APx555 into seeing more power than it is actually capable of.

Edit:
View attachment 191057

So I should avoid the Topping having 50 omhs headphones? I also considered the Fiio K5 Pro MKII but I read the Topping is quite superior in almost every aspect.

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I should avoid the Topping having 50 omhs headphones? I also considered the Fiio K5 Pro MKII but I read the Topping is quite superior in almost every aspect.
No, I don't think you should avoid the DX3Pro+.
Impedance alone is no indicator of whether an amp is suited to your headphone.
Look up your headphone's sensitivity as well as its impedance, then look up how much watt/volt the Amp can supply at that impedance.
Finally, use a calculator like this or this to calculate the max SPL that the Amp can drive your headphone to. Then decide.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@davidrf For example:
The HD595 has an impedance of 55Ω and a sensitivity of 115dB/Vrms (as measured by Solderdude and innerfidelity).
At 55Ω, the DX3Pro+ can put out about 7.9Vrms before clipping according to measurements by L7.
That means that it could theoretically drive the HD595 to about 133dB SPL (in reality, the headphone will reach Xmax far sooner).
Listening at that volume would give you permanent hearing damage real quick.

-> Even the A2049 Apple headphone dongle has enough power to drive the HD595 to very loud levels. The DX3Pro+ has absolutely no issues with that headphone whatsoever. It can provide enough voltage to probably destroy the headphone along with your hearing.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@raistlin65

Edit:
View attachment 191057

I didn't take the measurements. You'll have to discuss that with Amir and Wolf. But since this IS the ASR thread for the DX3 Pro+, without additional explanation, I go with Amir's measurements.

davidrf

@davidrf For example:
The HD595 has an impedance of 55Ω and a sensitivity of 115dB/Vrms (as measured by Solderdude and innerfidelity).
At 55Ω, the DX3Pro+ can put out about 7.9Vrms before clipping according to measurements by L7.
That means that it could theoretically drive the HD595 to about 133dB SPL (in reality, the headphone will reach Xmax far sooner).
Listening at that volume would give you permanent hearing damage real quick.

-> Even the A2049 Apple headphone dongle has enough power to drive the HD595 to very loud levels. The DX3Pro+ has absolutely no issues with that headphone whatsoever. It can provide enough voltage to probably destroy the headphone along with your hearing.
Thanks a lot, I will get the Topping. One last thing: what kind of improvement can I expect coming from an Asus Xonar Essence STX (the first series)? Will the improvement be noticeable?

Top Bottom