• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
Fantastical thinking.

Non-destructive testing (NDT) is the test method. Anything can be damaged by over testing it. Creating a destructive test simply results in a fried unit that probably smells too.
It was a thought. Maybe it doesn't work that way with HiFi?

Otherwise, you drive the crap out of cars so you know what they can go for/manage. When and how they break, that is. But ok, cars are not HiFi.:)

So you don't stress test electronics? Stress in the sense of long-lasting stress, not just when something is pushed into clippig for a short while for example?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a thought. Maybe it doesn't work that way with HiFi?

Otherwise, you drive the crap out of cars so you know what they can go for/manage. But ok, cars are not HiFi.:)

So you don't stress test electronics? Stress in the sense of long-lasting stress, not just when something is pushed into clippig for a short while for example?
Heat could be applied in a temperature controlled environment. To simulate a reduced life expectancy due to heat, search out PCB hot spots and identify failing components. This is destructive testing though. If simply measuring cooling efficiency or some such metric it's good but the manufacturer could say that the test method does not represent average operating conditions. So room temperature environment and engaged often to simulate the operation of the respective device. It's a manual effort of manually operating each device near daily or daily and keeping a record of the tests for adding the details to the review as a chronological timeline of operation.

Taking a amp to clipping can be destructive if not done properly and abusing the process.

Lräk

What I'm really wondering about is if the things are tested to the max, to their braking point, when they break? What extremes it takes to destroy them? Then based on that "counting backwards" to figure out what a reasonable braking point is.

Note not only Topping now but all other manufacturers with i HiFi. That regardless of HiFi gadget.
As a retired semiconductor test engineer, that isn't always a good idea. It's possible to create what we call a 'walking wounded'. So a perfectly good device may break in the future because it's been weakened from pushing it too much.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted well for the Topping E-30 II. Even though we have no long term operation test results at this time.

4. Great (golfing panther)​

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
My Topping E30 still works after 2 years. It's weird hearing DACs dying under 12 months.

artsky

E30 having a refresh leads me to think that E50 might have a II soon (and my E50 is just 5 months old lol).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ok. Many a discussion regarding Topping reliability of certain models. I have a pre90 that's been flawless for over a year, so it seems to be stable, and I've yet to see anyone complaining about that model. But ...... If I do need service?

JohnYang1997 advises to stick with the regional distributors. For me that is Apos, and also where I purchased the pre90.

But what exactly does that mean as far as service, warranty or otherwise? My only experience was with the pre90 which was "apos certified". I received the unit with wrong remote control, and even for something this basic, the turn-around time was approximately 3 weeks before resolution. Yes, they ultimately resolved it, but it was like pulling teeth to even get their attention to my issue. Don't get me wrong, they took care of me, but it took herculean effort to finally get their attention and get me a new remote.

Now, the pre90 itself is stellar but if I ever needed *real* service, I suspect my pre90 wouldn't have a chance at seeing service.

So, anyone ever go through one of the distributors for a warranty or non-warranty repair? Of course, I'm especially interested in Apos but I would like to hear about any experience. Perhaps @JohnYang1997 would also be interested in hearing the anecdotal stories?
Usually you send back the broken one and get a new one.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is more of a wish than an identification. What's the point of designing stuff with lower SINAD when from the starting point it still is inaudible? Seriously, I don't get it.

Shouldn't the focus then be on something else? SINAD level is sufficient. Even more than adequate.Why this ( in my eyes) meaningless race to the bottom? It's not something we hear anyway? Or?
It sells, just like high horsepower cars and fancy watches sell. Who wants to buy mediocrity, even if it lasts forever? I know I don't want mediocre equipment, especially if I have to listen to it for years and years while I wait for it to fail.

respice finem

Major Contributor
SINAD is not the only thing to think about.:)
But perhaps the simplest common metric to show the quality of the design?

While things you are postulating are per se not wrong (stress testing stuff, mind the power etc.), I think we shouldn't forget, we are @ ASR and not @ NASA or SpaceX. You would need a quite different budget and workforce to even try.
Another factor: Would you send in your device for "stress testing", knowing it won't come back?
Last but not least: Does amp power really mean that much, for the home user? PA is another scenario, but at home, we listen at anywhere from 1 to maybe 5 m distances. A growing margin (myself included) has active speakers, so no standalone amp any more. From own experience: Yes I can drive the active speakers into protection, but I have to put on my Peltors first :)

Ceterum censeo: Facile dictu, difficile factu.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
As a retired semiconductor test engineer, that isn't always a good idea. It's possible to create what we call a 'walking wounded'. So a perfectly good device may break in the future because it's been weakened from pushing it too much.
AFAIK even the military doesn't do "100% burn-in testing" any more, for exactly this reason.

MAB

Major Contributor
What I'm really wondering about is if the things are tested to the max, to their braking point, when they break? What extremes it takes to destroy them? Then based on that "counting backwards" to figure out what a reasonable braking point is.
Yes, this is exactly what is done to find the wear-out characteristics of a population. The "back-calculation" is based on the Weibull distribution, see here for instance: https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda3668.htm
Weibull was a Swedish mathematician, who perhaps was obsessed with failure distributions in order to make cars that were extremely reliable, and boxy too.
You can estimate the life expectancy of all sorts of things by analyzing a population that has been run to failure.
The trick is to do the experiment at various accelerated conditions. For instance, groups of light bulbs could be aged to failure at various elevated voltages. The results of these accelerated life tests are then used to estimate the mean time to fail for light bulb when run at normal voltage (these various accelerated wear-out experiments allow you to calculate the values of γ, μ, and α that describe the Weibull distribution). Or you can be patient and let a population naturally wear out and do the Weibull analysis that way, but it takes a long time;). Also, temperature is a great accelerator for wear-out modes too. Both T and V can be stressed simultaneously.
But, like you suggest, this can all be back-calculated from a population that is run to fail, and we can all thank Weibull!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Aha, interesting. Then that's it. I can't argue against that because you worked whit it/this. What I raised in my posts above are meant to be questions and not statements. Best to point out.:)
It sells, just like high horsepower cars and fancy watches sell. Who wants to buy mediocrity, even if it lasts forever? I know I don't want mediocre equipment, especially if I have to listen to it for years and years while I wait for it to fail.
Well, I don't agree with you there. Something I use daily, I want to last a long time. A car for example.

A fast sport car can be fun to have if you have the opportunity to drive it on the track sometimes. A really powerful HiFi equipment can be fun to have if you have the opportunity to pull on like hell sometimes without the neighbors going crazy.:D

SINAD. What is the difference between inaudible and extremely inaudible? That regarding listening, not from a theoretical point of view.
Also, regarding DAC what does it matter when speakers can have 1000 times higher distortion for example?:)

Last but not least: Does amp power really mean that much, for the home user? PA is another scenario, but at home, we listen at anywhere from 1 to maybe 5 m distances. A growing margin (myself included) has active speakers, so no standalone amp any more. From own experience: Yes I can drive the active speakers into protection, but I have to put on my Peltors first :)

Ceterum censeo: Facile dictu, difficile factu.
It will be the usual, listening distance, listening volume, how dynamic the music is, speaker sensitivity.

If you have a pair of destop speakers very close to you, which you only listen to at low volume, with undynamic music, a few amp watts are enough, for example.

But it's nice to secure it with a little power headroom regarding amplifiers, isn't it?:)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes, this is exactly what is done to find the wear-out characteristics of a population. The "back-calculation" is based on the Weibull distribution, see here for instance: https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda3668.htm
Weibull was a Swedish mathematician, who perhaps was obsessed with failure distributions in order to make cars that were extremely reliable, and boxy too.
You can estimate the life expectancy of all sorts of things by analyzing a population that has been run to failure.
The trick is to do the experiment at various accelerated conditions. For instance, groups of light bulbs could be aged to failure at various elevated voltages. The results of these accelerated life tests are then used to estimate the mean time to fail for light bulb when run at normal voltage (these various accelerated wear-out experiments allow you to calculate the values of γ, μ, and α that describe the Weibull distribution). Or you can be patient and let a population naturally wear out and do the Weibull analysis that way, but it takes a long time;). Also, temperature is a great accelerator for wear-out modes too. Both T and V can be stressed simultaneously.
But, like you suggest, this can all be back-calculated from a population that is run to fail, and we can all thank Weibull!
That was interesting. Today, for most people in Sweden, Wiebull is associated with this:

Weibull is owned by Econova, which is the Nordic region's leading company in soil and garden products and an innovative actor/ player company in recycling and biofuel.
(not the best translation but you get the point) :)

Attachments

• 20220729_081525830.jpeg
    20220729_081525830.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 75

MAB

Major Contributor
That was interesting. Today, for most people in Sweden, Wiebull is associated with this:

Weibull is owned by Econova, which is the Nordic region's leading company in soil and garden products and an innovative actor/ player company in recycling and biofuel.
(not the best translation but you get the point) :)

Very nice!
Same family? I only know about his math and physics background.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Very nice!
Same family? I only know about his math and physics background.
For the thread OT but ok:

Most likely a family relation.

From 1929, W. Weibull AB was the name of the company Weibull's seed business and plant breeding institute founded in 1870, which had its headquarters at Weibullsholm, a farm in Landskrona (in Sweden) and the adjacent parish of Örja.

Weibull is a Swedish surname that is carried by a single family. The name comes from a village in Jylland (Jutland , see wikipedia link below) but the family has been Swedish since the 17th century.[1]

On 31 December 2013, there were 294 people with the surname Weibull who were resident in Sweden.[2]

Jutland (Danish: Jylland [ˈjyˌlænˀ]; German: Jütland [ˈjyːtlant]; Old English: Ēota land [ˈeːo.tɑˌlɒnd]), known anciently as the Cimbric or Cimbrian Peninsula (Latin: Cimbricus Chersonesus; Danish: Den Kimbriske Halvø, Den Jyske Halvø; German: Kimbrische Halbinsel), is a peninsula of Northern Europe that forms the continental portion of Denmark and part of northern Germany. The names are derived from the Jutes and the Cimbri, respectively.

250px-Jutland_Peninsula_map.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi, I don't understand, is this latest version MQA?

respice finem

Major Contributor
Perhaps, the MQA mixup is: the chip can do it, but the company would have to pay a license fee first to enable it.

HappyMetalGuy

Usually you send back the broken one and get a new one.
@JohnYang1997 Hi there John don´t know if you can confirm two thinks (of this topic).
1. Are the signal amps of DX5 all TI OPA 1612A like the ones in E50?
2. What's the frequency of the DSD cut-off filter in DX5? (if any)
I'm deciding on buying the DX5 or SMSL M500 MKII
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220721_231506640_2.jpg
    PXL_20220721_231506640_2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom