• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D2R Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 14.0%

• Total voters

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review Amir. The streak continues :)

Glad to see a well performing and relatively cheap R2R DAC from a Chinese manufacturer. Curious to see what excuse "Hi-End" DAC manufactures like Chord that offers zero additional functionality and performance advantage will hide behind this time. My bet is on the filter.

gvl

Major Contributor
Thank you for the review Amir. The streak continues :)

Glad to see a well performing and relatively cheap R2R DAC from a Chinese manufacturer. Curious to see what excuse "Hi-End" DAC manufactures like Chord that offers zero additional functionality and performance advantage will hide behind this time. My bet is on the filter.
It’s D2R, not to be confused with R2R.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't get it. $1,000 for a DAC that is certainly not 'state of the art', not that such even matters for a DAC.
150-200 dollars is what anyone needs for transparency. Anything above is for features. But sometimes I wonder, wait are the features alone worth that much, since the heart of the dac unit itself is the dac chip+its D/A conversion electronics. If that’s achievable at 200, then the700, 800 dollars what some topping dacs cost is pure ripoff. The e30 sounds exactly like a d90. Is the extra features worth that much ? I don’t think so!!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
hmmm that default 'slow' filter might be audible different from the fast filter which adheres better (but far from perfect) to the sampling theorem.
Typical 'filterless' roll-off in default, this means we will see the typical stair-step shapes in the analog signal. It is simulated though but steps are there.
Would have been fun to see the difference of say a 6kHz sine wave between the 2 filter settings.

What I find most amusing about this is that the 'analog sound' lovers always say digital sounds bad because of the 'stair steps' yet they claim that filterless sounds 'more analog' yet they are in fact listening to the stair steps...:)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One question I ask myself in buying audio gear is whether an Ebay buyer will want to even pay 50 percent of the list price of the gear five years later provided it's still in good working condition. Can anyone envision someone wanting to pay $500 for this particular DAC?

gvl

Major Contributor
One question I ask myself in buying audio gear is whether an Ebay buyer will want to even pay 50 percent of the list price of the gear five years later provided it's still in good working condition. Can anyone envision someone wanting to pay $500 for this particular DAC?

Higher end Topping DACs seem to hold their values well enough, blame this forum for it.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I find most amusing about this is that the 'analog sound' lovers always say digital sounds bad because of the 'stair steps' yet they claim that filterless sounds 'more analog' yet they are in fact listening to the stair steps...:)
What do you mean? Filterless does not mean there are stair steps. Or do you mean R2R? Maybe you do - I am very confused this morning :)

If it is not R2R, I don't understand what is the point of this device. How is it different than all of the other 36 DACs SMSL has in their portfolio these days? Did they fire the Product Manager and hired another design engineer again?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For $1000 the enclosure could at least be standard 430 mm and not have different font styles on the display. Really don't understand its value as I don't even find it really beautiful.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Filterless means steps. NOS not necessarily so.
Only when you perform sample and hold, which by definition is already a filter of sorts. A delta-sigma DAC like this cannot even run filterless. At best you could emulate sample and hold.

My guess is this DAC will not show stair steps, but rather does something that resembles linear interpolation for the slow filter.

For an expensive flagship DAC chip performance isn’t very great. A much cheaper AKM or ESS chip would match or best this performance for way less money.

testp

i like the mini-cd slot or atleast what looks like a mini-cd slot, that gold thing could be in 500€ Special Edition dac's as well (then again, ahh never mind, with time this look gets old i guess)

daniboun

Major Contributor
Really beautiful DAC.

Thanks Amir!
Hummm really looks like the Sabaj A30A

1701675923180.png

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @amirm !

Marketing-wise, I don't understand the very existence of this one. It's some "High End" VMV, yes, but doesn't come with R2R buzzwords. The choice of a Rohm DS chip... meh. It doesn't mean anything to the audiophile audience it targets, and at the end of the day, is not even able to perform any better (while very good) than other AKM/ESS/Cirrus implementations from the same brand... Question is : who would buy this ?

I would never spend $1,000 for a DAC.
Oh, I would. Just not for an S.M.S.L DAC.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Expensive for its measured performance when compared to other offers. However it does have a AES/EBU digital input. There might be an advantage using the AES/EBU in terms of noise, spurious & jitter and FFT. The least expensive DAC with AES/EBU I found was the Gustard X16.
Right....

The SMSL D300 uses the same chip offers same performances for $389.
Why would you spend $ 999 )

Top Bottom