• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers to buy to make my system better ?

OP
S

Sieniek

There are a lot of speaker reviews on this site. You should look through them. Keep in mind the preference score does not take into account the ability to play loud. There are all kinds of speakers available which can play loud, but have very uneven frequency response or unfavorable dispersion characteristics. Unfortunately, speakers which do it all, are not cheap. Look at the F208 review on this site.

Yeah I know, I prefer to buy something which is recommended from this forum than something which was not measured over here but still...these Arendal’s are very tempting.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know that with subwoofers obviously I would have more bass but what about an spl of the whole system ? Will Revel M105 play loud enough to keep pace with these subwoofers ?
No, the M105 can not keep up with two F18's, but keep in mind we want more bass than treble. So if your subs are doing 105 dB and your mains 85 dB, that is normal for movies. A pair of F18's can actually hit 120 dB I believe.

If your room is larger I would suggest speakers with 8" drivers, or more than one 6.5".

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To answer your question, you will need a higher crossover with the M105's., even 100 might not be high enough. There are comments by our host about how the 106 can handle much more power. It might not seem like it when looking at the price and comparing specs, but going to the larger Low/mid driver makes a big difference in dynamic range. There are people using a 130 Hz crossover with small stand mounts. I'm at a seemingly crazy 170 Hz with LS50's and L12 subs. Yeah, the L12's aren't supposed to go that high, but I can cheat because of room acoustics.
Crossover point depends on the room as well. I can run my speakers down to 30 Hz in my room, but in a large room they would need 60 Hz. So keep that in mind, OP.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
These are what I use, but active with audiolense:
1623539558870.png
also with Salk/Rythmik subs

From JBL
1623539526278.png

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/screenarray-systems-2-way/4722_4722n

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because that small 5" driver will bottom out when low frequencies hit it at high volume. The plot doesn't show that. The rest of your gear is great, why try to save a few bucks on your mains?
No, it doesn't. I listen at 85-90db, which is plenty loud for most people. I have a 75 wpc Hypex amp, and I never even get close to halfway on my pre amp volume. I get your point about max spl and physics, I just don't think you will get near the limits of this speaker in a regular sized room. The M105 is rated at 120 wpc, the M106 at 150 wpc. These are just guidelines, but in a medium sized room, you will not bottom out these speakers before it becomes very uncomfortable (100 db+).
One of the main benefits of this site is being able to trust Amir's measurements and plan partnering equipment accordingly. I'll keep my crossover point where the graph suggests it should be, verified by sounding good afterwards in the particular setting.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it doesn't. I listen at 85-90db, which is plenty loud for most people. I have a 75 wpc Hypex amp, and I never even get close to halfway on my pre amp volume. I get your point about max spl and physics, I just don't think you will get near the limits of this speaker in a regular sized room. The M105 is rated at 120 wpc, the M106 at 150 wpc. These are just guidelines, but in a medium sized room, you will not bottom out these speakers before it becomes very uncomfortable (100 db+).
One of the main benefits of this site is being able to trust Amir's measurements and plan partnering equipment accordingly. I'll keep my crossover point where the graph suggests it should be, verified as sounding good afterwards. Thanks.

I suggest you find some of Amir's comments on M105 vs M106. The M105 will bottom out way before the M106. It's all relative to room size, LP, and your tastes.

dkinric

I suggest you find some of Amir's comments on M105 vs M106. The M105 will bottom out way before the M106. It's all relative to room size, LP, and your tastes.
I have read them all. If your suggestion was for OP to get the 106 over the 105 for an extra $500, then sure, I don't disagree.
In my 200 sq ft living room (so, smallish to med for US), you will damage your hearing before the speaker is overloaded. It would take a much larger room before this becomes a factor.
Edit: OPs room is about 400 sq ft, so twice the size of mine. I would still think with 2 massive subs, it's within the wheelhouse of well built bookshelves like the Revels.

Last edited:

Slayer

No, it doesn't. I listen at 85-90db, which is plenty loud for most people. I have a 75 wpc Hypex amp, and I never even get close to halfway on my pre amp volume.
You may or may not already know this.
But your comment about the volume knob positioning means nothing ( without knowing the preamps output voltage and the amps input sensitivity for max power ) in relationship to the power being output by your amplifier. You could still be getting full power from the amp with the pre at half volume. Just like I am able to get full power from my amp with the pre at around the 10'oclock position.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks ! These THX speakers looks like some great speakers especially being THX certified.

Now I am thinking mostly about these three models:

Revel M105
Kef R3
Arendal 1723 THX Monitors

What do you think guys ?
These THX monitors look really tempting, anyone have any experience with them ?

I own the Revel M105, they sound excellent, but they don't get very loud before they start hurting and sounding too loud. M106 would be a slightly better speaker imo for your situation. KEF R3 is another great option.

Given that you have 2x Rythmik F18, I don't think the great full range options(D&D 8C, Neuman KH420) are the best value. What's your budget(even if it's a big range)? We can offer great suggestions once we have an approximate budget.

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has ASR shown that open baffle speakers are a bad idea in a general sense? I’ve seen the Magnepan LRS review but I don’t think I’ve seen many others yet.
Open baffle speakers often have limited low bass response, but offer subjective benefits. If you can match them with an amplifier you like, they can be satisfying.

The challenge is at the frequency limits of your room.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sieniek

Thank you for the input !

I think I have found my next speakers Seriously, they seems to be exactly what I am looking for, hopefully.

Can you tell me please how to they sound with your subs ? Where I can find them to buy and for how much ? And what do you mean by active with audiolense ?

Update:
Ok, I have learned a little bit what is audiolense and from what I understand I am ready to go with these and my Rythmik‘s if I have Minidsp SHD ?

Also I do not know if that could help but I have four Purifi mono blocks overall as it was bought by myself for an open baffle project but I have changed my mind some time ago.

I prefer to stay with Subwoofers for low end and use these Purifi’s for passive speakers like these JBL‘s 4722.

Update 2:

Also, do you have 4722 or 4722N and what is the difference if I can ask ? I am doing a research about these but I am not sure if I understand everything correctly so I have thought I will better ask.

In my country it is 3:59 at night right now, my eyes are so tired. I am really determined to level up my audio system !

Last edited:
OP
S

Sieniek

I own the Revel M105, they sound excellent, but they don't get very loud before they start hurting and sounding too loud. M106 would be a slightly better speaker imo for your situation. KEF R3 is another great option.

Given that you have 2x Rythmik F18, I don't think the great full range options(D&D 8C, Neuman KH420) are the best value. What's your budget(even if it's a big range)? We can offer great suggestions once we have an approximate budget.

thanks for the interest.
To be honest with you I am looking for the cheapest and most satisfying option which I know is not easy to achieve. I think the maximum I would pay for the speakers would be around €3000 maybe. It all depends on what I will get for the price and if that will be enough.

I am very curious about these JBL’s 4722 mentioned by Eurasian member, do anyone have heard them ? And where to buy these monsters ?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the interest.
To be honest with you I am looking for the cheapest and most satisfying option which I know is not easy to achieve. I think the maximum I would pay for the speakers would be around €3000 maybe. It all depends on what I will get for the price and if that will be enough.

I am very curious about these JBL’s 4722 mentioned by Eurasian member, do anyone have heard them ? And where to buy these monsters ?
€3000 is definitely enough for a fantastic setup, especially given that you already have near perfect subs.

The KEF R3 is a great value here imo. JBL 708p can go much louder(while still sounding excellent), but may be slightly above budget depending on deals.

sfdoddsy

I’d question the OPs overall premise.

Single driver open baffles like those you apparently have do indeed measure badly, and sound not so good. IMHO.

However, for the past 15 years or so I’ve been using open baffles based on the science of Siegfried Linkwitz. They measure well and sound great.

I’ve also owned some of the speakers that measure and sound best here: KEF R3, Revel etc etc.

Currently I have Revel equivalents in the family system and active dynamic OBs in my man-room system.

Both measure very well. Both sound great. Both are EQed.

The monopoles are for the head. the OBs the heart.

OP
S

Sieniek

€3000 is definitely enough for a fantastic setup, especially given that you already have near perfect subs.

The KEF R3 is a great value here imo. JBL 708p can go much louder(while still sounding excellent), but may be slightly above budget depending on deals.

Thank you for your interest and nice propositions. I think I have already chosen my next main speakers and soon I will make a post about that.

gonzoucab

I have KEF they are nice, but im gonna try next ELAC, seems really good and a reasonable price

Top Bottom