• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Witterings

EDIT: I've done a factory reset and that seems to have resolved it.

Does anyone know if you can force an update to start and if so how?

The manual says it does it automatically between 2 and 5.00am but I'm trying to set up some groups on Alexa, one of the devices is greyed out and there's a warning triangle on one of my devices, if I click on it, it says software update available.

Last edited:

flz

EDIT: I've done a factory reset and that seems to have resolved it.
What is the "it" that the factory reset resolved? I tried looking at your older posts but couldn't find anything relevant. Maybe I missed it.

tsoltan

Has anyone tried AUX in? Is it bad?
Do you think it is possible to connect the output of the phono preamp like "art dj pre ii" to the wiim AUX IN in order to pass it to the OPTICAL OUT in order to pass it to the external DAC?

Witterings

What is the "it" that the factory reset resolved? I tried looking at your older posts but couldn't find anything relevant. Maybe I missed it.

It was the rest of the post underneath about forcing an update to start ... I put the edit at the top so people didn't waste time reading it ... maybe I should of put the EDIT at the bottom to be clearer.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On their support FAQ they said Chromecast needs special hardware which this unit doesn't have but they said they are working on other hardware that will have it.
I think the issue is Chromecast needs relatively powerful board. Chromecast applications may send a webpage to the streamer, which runs a browser. That needs sufficient CPU and RAM.
I suppose simpler streamers take the URL of an audio stream and start playing, much less resource-intensive.

Dumdum

Thank you ralph, also found this on that page... looking forward to this.. might have to sell the blusound and get one of these and hook it up to a topping e50 which will render mqa through toslink

Tidal Connect - will this pass through hifi quality or even master quality to an external dac to unfold? Does this support an external dac through tos? Print

Modified on: Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 11:39 AM

It passes through HiFi quality (not Master MQA) to the external DAC via TOSLINK. We have a plan to support MQA later this year.
I was under the impression that you couldn’t pass mqa via a digital connection, there is a reason why you will never find an mqa digital output device

Brantome

Major Contributor
Can you cast from Amazon music app to the Wiim?
Yes, and it can be grouped along with Amazon echos (probably a curse word in this group ;) ) in a multi room music group. However, I don’t think you can cast lossless amazon music HD/UHD - I currently can’t to my Heos Link HS2 although it’ll play such from its app.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yes, I do. You will find quite a number of measurements on this site supporting my opinion.
Not in my experience - I use a gen 2 Fire tv Cube over HDMI into my Linn MDSM/4 and a Heos Link HS2 over coax into the same amp. I much prefer playback via the HEOS Link (it’s more full bodied) - perhaps it’s because it plays bit perfect whereas the Cube always registers as 24/192.

telemike

Yes, and it can be grouped along with Amazon echos (probably a curse word in this group ;) ) in a multi room music group. However, I don’t think you can cast lossless amazon music HD/UHD - I currently can’t to my Heos Link HS2 although it’ll play such from its app.
I can cast 44.1/16 HD from Amazon. It’s not gapless tho

Brantome

Major Contributor
I can cast 44.1/16 HD from Amazon. It’s not gapless tho
I’m never quite sure if casting is converting a lossy mp3 to a 16/44.1 wav/pcm stream rather than casting a lossless HD 16/44.1 version. The Amazon music app is very coy about what it’s actually casting

imral3

I’m never quite sure if casting is converting a lossy mp3 to a 16/44.1 wav/pcm stream rather than casting a lossless HD 16/44.1 version. The Amazon music app is very coy about what it’s actually casting
This is from an email to Wiim support:

That's right, we will support Amazon Music Ultra HD in two ways that you referred to. Please stay tuned!

Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Ning
On Mon, Mar 21 at 5:59 PM , wrote:
Is there a difference in playback resolution between the following options? 1. Using Wiim Home app to stream Amazon Music HD on Wiim Mini. 2. Using Amazon Music HD app to cast music to Wiim Mini. Will future support of Amazon Music Ultra HD change this in any way?

telemike

Currently, it supports Amazon music 44.1 kHz/16 bit in bit-perfect resolution. However, it doesn't support the Amazon Ultra HD (up to 24 bit, 192 kHz). We have a plan to support it around the end of April with a software update. From faq

Glades

For those of you who already have this device and are using the optical out, are you using the supplied optical cable or some other optical cable? If something else, is it for aesthetic/build quality (of the cable) reasons or you think you can hear a difference between different optical cables?
I used the supplied optical cable vs Amazon basic cable to optical in on my Audiolab 6000a DAC > Polk R200's. Can't hear any difference. Also no issues playing 24/192kHz.

Last edited:

Glades

I have had it on Tidal and Spotify.

The wiim mini release notes page in the app says the latest update fixed the stuttering issue with Tidal, but that is not the case for me.

Perhaps the fact that I have the problem on Tidal and Spotify would indicate it may be an in house wifi issue. More feed back will be helpful.
When you have the option, set your router to (QOS) prioritise streaming services, that may help (it did for me). Also make sure you are on the 5Ghz band.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Currently, it supports Amazon music 44.1 kHz/16 bit in bit-perfect resolution. However, it doesn't support the Amazon Ultra HD (up to 24 bit, 192 kHz). We have a plan to support it around the end of April with a software update. From faq
To be honest, I’ve had similar emails and long discussions elsewhere on this - their responses can be ambiguous, almost political in my experience, it’s as if they want to be as positive as possible in their responses. As I said, the output of 16/44.1 over spdif may well be bit perfect into the amp, but I’d argue that stream is derived from the conversion of a lossy mp3 track into a wav/pcm 16/44.1 stream.

I also have an email (see below) saying that all they support just now is lossy SD amazon music, but not lossless HD and UHD, so I take what they say in the context of my experience with amazon music, echo devices, my Heos Link etc. I’ve not experienced casting anything better than HD to my echos (I don’t have an echo studio which I understand is the only one that might support UHD casting), and I suspect I get no better than SD casting to my Heos link.

Here’s my question to Linkplay:
”Hi, apologies for the followup question, as I feel there’s still a little ambiguity in your answer.
What about lossless 16bit HD tracks from Amazon Music HD - are they played bit perfect at the moment?
I see two distinct services - lossy 320Kbps SD tracks from ‘vanilla’ Amazon Music, and lossless 16bit HD (typically up to 16/48) and lossless 24bit UHD (up to 24/192) in the Amazon Music HD service. The former is what you currently support (i.e. lossy SD), and it’s both the lossless HD and UHD service you’re hoping to have verified.
Am I correct in saying you currently do NOT support lossless bit perfect 16bit Amazon Music HD tracks?”

And their response:
”1. We will support both lossless HD and Ultra HD service in April.
2. You are right, now we only support standard quality (up to 320kbps).
Amazon Music is the highest priority task for us, yesterday we have received the Amazon Music HD/UHD developer document and we are checking it. Please stay tuned!”

Ambiguities aside, I think they’re making good progress…

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
This is from an email to Wiim support:

That's right, we will support Amazon Music Ultra HD in two ways that you referred to. Please stay tuned!

Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Ning
If they do indeed manage to do that, it’ll be one of the first devices (outside the echo studio afaik) that will allow that - my Heos Link which currently supports bit perfect HD/UHD playback only supports HD at best (and I suspect it’s just SD) when casting from the amazon music app. That may be down to how it and other third party devices currently implement their support via an Alexa skill.

telemike

Well my old ears thought Amazon SD was sounding good.

I do wish we could know exactly how Apple Music is streamed with Airplay2. Is it lossy or losless?

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Mine too :)

Looking forward to proper lossless Amazon Music HD/UHD support though…

Last edited:
Top Bottom