• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

I don’t like interruptions while I’m in the zone
I will have been lucky but I never had any problem with interruptions, neither with qobuz nor with Tidal hifi, many hours every day. The only sporadic unwanted interruptions, I had them in March, when I moved it to a point too shielded for wifi, at that moment I was using amazon (not HD yet)

Pep2020

Anyone else seeing the last few secs of songs go silent on DLNA occasionally??

Same for Bubbleupnp and hifi cast.

Witterings

wiim is a toy and we are beta testers i think :) its not really reliable , signal drop, bit perfect output flaky, it just breaks the music trance

I know there are a lot of "Fan Boys" out there but I'm 100% with you on this!

I'd literally just sat down at the end of an evening to relax and start started playing some music and switched on my laptop to look through the forum and the music just stopped ...... I did check it wasn't the Amazon App 1st and it wasn't.

Whilst this is potentially an outstanding piece of equipment for the price at the moment it's little more than a toy and the people that have bought it .... as you say and I've mentioned at least 2/3 times previously are just unpaid testers.

I mistakenly thought it was a Chinese product / company and previously mentioned how many Chinese companies seem to have little regard for their buyers and just treat them like testers delivering sub standard products and using their buyers as early stage testers that "The West" wouldn't find acceptable.

At a later stage, someone from WiiM commeneted they were an American company .... however they had a lot of senior Chinese staff .... seemingly trying to infer it wasn't run the way some Chinese companies seem to be.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the whole finance for this comes from China and they believe a US address lifts them to a higher level of credibilty but they still adopt the same way of running it that's seen as acceptable in China and if funded by them that's the way it'll be done irrespective of the address.

I have absolutely NO INTEREST in being their unpaid tester, I just want it to work FULL STOP!

If they actually want to take this product to the next level they need to understand their market, the Audiophiles / people happy to tinker with things like rasberry pie and are happy to be testers is probably less than 1% of the people that listen to music .... the rest just want it to work and be reliable!

Narnian

While I do not disagree that there is a lot of free testing going on for the WIIM, from my research there are plenty of more mature products that cost a lot more that have a lot of issues from looking at other forums and review sites. Here we have the ear of the company and get quick fixes that can take months (if ever in many cases) in other companies.

So far the only issue I had turned out to be a bad setting on the receiver that was incorrectly set out of the factory (Marantz) so even big companies make mistakes.

This product easily offers the best bang for the buck at the moment and, as a “fan boy”, I am rooting for them to put pressure on all other streamers to improve their products and lower costs like SMSL, Topping, etc. are doing for the amp and DAC markets.

Anybody who does not like their approach (frequent, small software updates, aka rolling releases) can always switch to a different streamer.

JimmyMac

Anybody else getting a stuttering problem when playing Tidal MQA tracks (via Tidal Connect) ? I get no stuttering at all with non-MQA tracks.
This only started happening this week, after the latest firmware (20221011). I'm using optical out to a Gustard X18 dac, and MQA decoding has been working perfectly up until this week.

And yes, I've submitted a ticked to WiiM.

Thanks! Jim

Witterings

100% works for me and 100% reliable

It's probably your networking :)

That was my issue initially too

And everytime I get a problem I instantly jump onto a speed tester (in favaourites and on it in 1/2 a second) and I'm sure you can guess what the results are.

The fact others are reporting it as well and I'm guessing they're not havng problems streaming Hi Def from Netflix / Amazon bearing in mind video is massively larger than music files.

olbobcat

I have had a lot of problems with tidal on NAD c658, Chromecast, and the Wiim. It all started after the update about a month ago. I get stops quite frequently and Tidal connect gets lost. Actually, the Wiim has the least amount of problems now. This is after 2.5 years of no problem. I would say that the Wiim might not always be the problem.

mediocrebutarrogant

And everytime I get a problem I instantly jump onto a speed tester (in favaourites and on it in 1/2 a second) and I'm sure you can guess what the results are.

The fact others are reporting it as well and I'm guessing they're not havng problems streaming Hi Def from Netflix / Amazon bearing in mind video is massively larger than music files.
i have no problems streaming 4k HDR , Mac to USB to dac , no problems, i have 5Ghz exclusive, and im a software engineer ,so its not me network, also wiim mqa beta stuttered and screeched like nails over chalk board screechhhhh!!

mediocrebutarrogant

I know there are a lot of "Fan Boys" out there but I'm 100% with you on this!

I'd literally just sat down at the end of an evening to relax and start started playing some music and switched on my laptop to look through the forum and the music just stopped ...... I did check it wasn't the Amazon App 1st and it wasn't.

Whilst this is potentially an outstanding piece of equipment for the price at the moment it's little more than a toy and the people that have bought it .... as you say and I've mentioned at least 2/3 times previously are just unpaid testers.

I mistakenly thought it was a Chinese product / company and previously mentioned how many Chinese companies seem to have little regard for their buyers and just treat them like testers delivering sub standard products and using their buyers as early stage testers that "The West" wouldn't find acceptable.

At a later stage, someone from WiiM commeneted they were an American company .... however they had a lot of senior Chinese staff .... seemingly trying to infer it wasn't run the way some Chinese companies seem to be.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the whole finance for this comes from China and they believe a US address lifts them to a higher level of credibilty but they still adopt the same way of running it that's seen as acceptable in China and if funded by them that's the way it'll be done irrespective of the address.

I have absolutely NO INTEREST in being their unpaid tester, I just want it to work FULL STOP!

If they actually want to take this product to the next level they need to understand their market, the Audiophiles / people happy to tinker with things like rasberry pie and are happy to be testers is probably less than 1% of the people that listen to music .... the rest just want it to work and be reliable!
Exactly, it should work , maybe they have put in too many features , just Amazon Music, DLNA, and Tidal enough.Why they need to enable everything on the planet i dunno
Anyone else seeing the last few secs of songs go silent on DLNA occasionally??

Same for Bubbleupnp and hifi cast.
This , i mean over DLNA also, too many issues.

derl

Hey everyone, new to the WiiM party (was using an iPod Touch into integrated amp) but having no sound at 24/192 when I'm running via Toslink through a Schiit Modi 3E, which according to specs should be able to handle it.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? 24/96 works fine.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Hey everyone, new to the WiiM party (was using an iPod Touch into integrated amp) but having no sound at 24/192 when I'm running via Toslink through a Schiit Modi 3E, which according to specs should be able to handle it.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? 24/96 works fine.
I’m sure it’s been mentioned here that that DAC works ok at 24/192 (try searching the thread) withWiiM - can you try another cable? I presume you’ve done the spdif setting tests in the app

morillon

Major Contributor
the toslink was originally not made to pass more than 96k..
can be your dac on this format can not receive more

derl

I’m sure it’s been mentioned here that that DAC works ok at 24/192 (try searching the thread) withWiiM - can you try another cable? I presume you’ve done the spdif setting tests in the app
Thanks, I was just using the cable included in the WiiM box.

the toslink was originally not made to pass more than 96k..
can be your dac on this format can not receive more
Hmm the Schiit Modi 3E specs say "Sample Rates and Bit Depths: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB, Coax, and Optical" https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

morillon

Major Contributor
have you already played 192k via toslink on this dac with other sources?
(
well settled the digital output in 192k 24bit side wiim home?.
sometimes it also crosses souccis with certain connectors not so compatible in toslink)

Top Bottom