• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

Sephula

People are selling 789s for $200? So, buy them all, and resell them for $250, and then use the profit to buy the Topping.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What is your source? I remember John said BOM itself was significantly lower.
First of all. I never gave a clear BOM number initially. Secondly, the referred model ended up being L30. Thirdly, BOM needs to be considerably considerably lower than the retail price for the whole thing to work. And I don't have the information of it being $499 either. It can be but may not be.

Kazuma

As all interested users here, I too was awaiting for A90 amp, and when the sale date is so close, hearing such a number is scary.

Now, when theres quite a few solid products out there on the market (Geshelli, SMSL, Monoprice), figures such as usd 500 sure is a massive overkill and deal breaker.

But will wait & see.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
As all interested users here, I too was awaiting for A90 amp, and when the sale date is so close, hearing such a number is scary.

Now, when theres quite a few solid products out there on the market (Geshelli, SMSL, Monoprice), figures such as usd 500 sure is a massive overkill and deal breaker.

But will wait & see.
There will be other models filling out the price brackets. So absolutely no worries.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m thinking my earlier prediction on pricing is probably spot on:
Interesting... I was looking at the Gustard P26... Now I'll have to wait to see what the Topping preamp looks like (P90?). Based on the pricing differential between the D50/A50 pair I'm expecting the A90 to be between $475 and 499. I'd love to see a DX9 Pro to replace my DX7 Pro but just might jump on a D90/A90 pair. :D

Martin

I have a DX7 Pro now and am still pondering whether I’ll go with the D90/A90 pair. I may wait for the matching preamp and buy all three.

Martin

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I’m thinking my earlier prediction on pricing is probably spot on:

I have a DX7 Pro now and am still pondering whether I’ll go with the D90/A90 pair. I may wait for the matching preamp and buy all three.

Martin
In the same boat,gonna match up the DX7 pro with the A90 and see what happens,I'm anal like that,They tried to make me go to rehab but y'all no what i said

babak147

There is room in current market for an amp that can run difficult to run cans like Susvara. My 789, Dx7 pro , Phonitor 2 , RME 2DAC can not adequately run Susvara. I’ll give A90 a chance before I switch to speaker amplifiers.

Hemi-Demon

There is room in current market for an amp that can run difficult to run cans like Susvara. My 789, Dx7 pro , Phonitor 2 , RME 2DAC can not adequately run Susvara. I’ll give A90 a chance before I switch to speaker amplifiers.

You may want to consider the Flux FA-12 ($749), amp only unit, supposedly it is 16W, Class A.

There is a review of the combo unit, but the amp information is pertinent to a user such as yourself.

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/he...n-10-review-a-muscle-car-for-your-headphones/
https://www.headfonia.com/flux-lab-acoustics-fa-10-review/

Take the reviews for what they are worth, considering both sites rave about audio-gd gear;)

babak147

16 watts... Now, we're getting into driver exploder territory.
I have a Yamaha WXA-50 sitting around, I was thinking about getting an adapter cable ( XLR-Banana) and give it a shot. Its 55wpc@8ohms.

Sephula

I have a Yamaha WXA-50 sitting around, I was thinking about getting an adapter cable ( XLR-Banana) and give it a shot. Its 55wpc@8ohms.

I was only teasing that one guy who was complaining about the lack of child-proofing. I'm well aware that there are more powerful amps out there. 16 watts is nothing. That's what it takes to light a CFL lamp equivalent to a 60 watt incandescent. And, 6.5 watts is LED territory.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You may want to consider the Flux FA-12 ($749), amp only unit, supposedly it is 16W, Class A.

There is a review of the combo unit, but the amp information is pertinent to a user such as yourself.

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/he...n-10-review-a-muscle-car-for-your-headphones/
https://www.headfonia.com/flux-lab-acoustics-fa-10-review/

Take the reviews for what they are worth, considering both sites rave about audio-gd gear;)
Quote from the spec

Output power
300Ohm: 360mW RMS per channel,
32Ohm: 2600mW RMS per channel,
50Ohm: 1700mW RMS per channel

Where's 16W?

Top Bottom