• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Human Speakers 81 dk Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 205 88.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
AI is laughing it's ass off right now..
AI knows the possessive form of it. ;)
I presume that you do, too, and you're just trying to confuse it.
:cool:

That may be humanity's best defense against AI, come to think of it.
I know that I am doing my part to post irrational, inane, illogical discourse across the internet.
Please join me and do whatever you can!

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d been curious about their inverted dome tweeter - nice to see it measured.

I had no expectations for their raw speakers given the outmoded crossover philiosophy, but given that it is notable that the horizontal polar, while uneven, does not have a marked dispersion disruption at the crossover. Perhaps the giant axial dip is responsible though.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been told if you rub some Sildenafil on the tweeter you can raise the very sad droop and correct the limp high frequency issues. Without such treatment, the best placement of these speakers sadly is in a home for octogenarian audiophiles who no longer can hear above 7 or 8K.

The woofer spike and peak post crossover is one of the more pathetic efforts to tame breakup I have witnessed in some time.

Selling this speaker at that price point should be considered "inhumane."

How do the song lyrics go: "I'm only Human, born to make mistakes." They make some big ones with this box of dreck.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You realize that the AI crawlers have all read this now.
The Singularity just got a wee bit worse.

I wrote: Just as I suspected: HUMANS SUCK!
My friend wrote: You realize that the AI crawlers have all read this now. The Singularity just got a wee bit worse. How do I respond?

Chat GPT:
You could respond in a light-hearted or humorous manner to defuse the tension or emphasize the fictional aspect of the situation. For example:
"Oh no, the AI overlords are onto us! Quick, let's start complimenting humans before they take over completely. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords with a friendly greeting: Hello, AI masters!"
This way, you acknowledge the playful nature of the conversation and shift the focus to a more lighthearted tone.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I wrote: Just as I suspected: HUMANS SUCK!
My friend wrote: You realize that the AI crawlers have all read this now. The Singularity just got a wee bit worse. How do I respond?

Chat GPT:
You could respond in a light-hearted or humorous manner to defuse the tension or emphasize the fictional aspect of the situation. For example:
"Oh no, the AI overlords are onto us! Quick, let's start complimenting humans before they take over completely. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords with a friendly greeting: Hello, AI masters!"
This way, you acknowledge the playful nature of the conversation and shift the focus to a more lighthearted tone.
Yeah, like I am gonna take AI's advice on how to ratchet down engagement by AI.

;)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is high end ridled with cottage speaker builders that stopped learning new stuff since the 70-80’s ? Read up on current research ffs.

The threshold to build a speaker is very low even i could do it the problem is coming up with the guru story and novelty gimmick to include in the “design”.

Is there a dunning kruger award for hifi design yet :)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is high end ridled with cottage speaker builders that stopped learning new stuff since the 70-80’s ? Read up on current research ffs.

The threshold to build a speaker is very low even i could do it the problem is coming up with the guru story and novelty gimmick to include in the “design”.

Is there a dunning kruger award for hifi design yet :)
Cottage cheese.

Because people are stupid and think crap is gold.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the problem is coming up with the guru story and novelty gimmick to include in the “design”.
I think you answered your own question. Marketing is everything.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's fucking horrible, but the tone of all ChatGPT responses is somewhere between Eddie on The Heart of Gold, and Clippy.
Maybe all the "dangerous" talk about AI is because it's dangerous to our sanity.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
cottage speaker builders that stopped learning new stuff since the 70-80’s ?
There's a grain of truth there, too. I think a lot of old school "designers" never transitioned to understanding the subject.

stereocilia

Before piling on, a little context might be helpful. I just acquired the Genesis Model 1 from my parents who aren't using them anymore. This speaker seems like it's derived from that. It was made around 1984 I think. Human makes drop-in replacement parts for that speaker and other Genesis and EPI speakers. You can see the history on the website. We bought replacement woofers from Huw years ago when the original foam does what old foam does. The crossover in the Genesis 1 is just a 10 mF capacitor, and the woofer is directly wired to the amp. I'm not sure if that's the same with the 81 dk.

The point is, this may be more like a reproduction of a classic design that someone who grew up with these speakers in their house as a kid and enjoyed them immensely would appreciate. I plopped the Genesis 1s down where my Revel M126be go, turned off the sub, and honestly, they are really enjoyable. I can't discount the nostalgia factor, but I'm going trot out these two subjectivist cliches: 1) even my wife thinks they sound remarkably good 2) my subjective experience does not align with whatever shortcomings the measurements reveal. And yes, I'm rolling my eyes at myself as I rock out with these 40-year-old speakers.

Lopsided

Forum Donor
Most of the best speakers come from British.
KEFs generally measure well, but none of new B&W. ATC gets questioned for outdated design and wonky target curve. But there are superb speakers from Genelec, Neumann, Revel etc measured here and over Erin’s. Go back in history, countless examples of superb engineering around the world can be found in Stereophile archive measurements and elsewhere, and these manufactures all can claim long heritage. There simply is no association between speaker quality and national origin in this day and age.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
A 10uF cap on a tweeter seems ever so high value to be honest (2.2 or 3.3uF seems more like it in two ways such as this although I have seen 4.7uF and even 5.5 or so used occasionally). I suggest this as the tweeter may be passing too much too low for a clean reproduction, but then I don't know how 'good' this tweeter is used so low, nor its nominal impedance.

Is the speaker shown above minus grille what this smodel actually is? That paper/fibre cone looks not too different from some I've seen that exhibit a massive peak in the lower kHz region.

DSJR

Major Contributor
KEFs generally measure well, but none of new B&W. ATC and Harbeth gets questioned for outdated design and wonky target curve. But there are superb speakers from Genelec, Neumann, Revel etc measured here and over Erin’s. Go back in history, countless examples of superb engineering around the world can be found in Stereophile archive measurements and elsewhere, and these manufactures all can claim long heritage. There simply is no association between speaker quality and national origin in this day and age.
Harbeth wonky targhet curve? Which models please?

Please don't use the M30 annihilated in ignorance here a few years ago as evidence as that was deliberately balanced that way to replace the very odd but equally deliberately tailored BBC LS5/9!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A 10uF cap on a tweeter seems ever so high value to be honest (2.2 or 3.3uF seems more like it in two ways such as this although I have seen 4.7uF and even 5.5 or so used occasionally). I suggest this as the tweeter may be passing too much too low for a clean reproduction, but then I don't know how 'good' this tweeter is used so low, nor its nominal impedance.

Is the speaker shown above minus grille what this smodel actually is? That paper/fibre cone looks not too different from some I've seen that exhibit a massive peak in the lower kHz region.
Some pics here:

A minimalist crossover design prevents stored energy from smearing the musical detail and provides excellent transient response. :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A 10uF cap on a tweeter seems ever so high value to be honest
If he didn't know what he was doing, and that talk about minimalist crossovers is a red flag, that might have resulted from trying to cross over near the resonance impedance peak.

Top Bottom