• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I appreciate the community spirit here, but I don't know that I could stomach contributing a single penny of money that would end up in Eric Alexander's pocket.

IMHO @Eric Alexander 's behavior here has gone way over the line in multiple ways on multiple occasions. I don't see the point in measuring his speakers anymore, as it's not about the speakers and it's not about his design approach. It's about stuff that can't be tested with a Klippel or an AP analyzer.

That's why people mentioned buying a second hand set!

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why people mentioned buying a second hand set!

D'oh! Sorry, I missed that, my bad.

I still would question giving Alexander any more free publicity via a review here, but a used set would solve the main ethical problem I mentioned.

Thanks for the correction!

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
@Eric Alexander seems to have lost any connection to reality, the truth nor has he any moral compass:

View attachment 364188

I always have the feeling that part of the US high-end community is strongly bonded with the Pentecostal one. there is an audition on Tekton's Youtube which also feels a lot like a cult.

VeryDeafMan

New here. I registered just now, mainly to lend well deserved support to ASR and Erin.

After seeing Erin's original review I had made a mental note to listen to a set of Tektons if they should ever pop up locally. The review was fine and I was curious.

But after the speaker designer's subsequent threatening behavior, I won't waste a moment on any Tekton product. And on that note, I'd urge reviewers to focus their attention on anything other than Tekton. There are plenty of excellent speakers out there made by individuals and companies who listen to reviewers and don't threaten them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
$2350 for a pair of a pair of double impacts.

a bunch of other models as well.
I don't think it is a good use of our funds to buy and test a speaker from him. When I was saying I would review more Tekton speakers, I meant in general. That is, if someone has one to test. Not that we go and buy one for the sake of testing. There are plenty of other things we could buy and test that would be more useful.

AaronJ

"Vindication" of what?? Erin and Amir updated their measurements to show almost no change at all, just +/- ~1dB in the upper treble IIRC. And his entire narrative about the feet was shown to be erroneous. "Admitted he couldn't correct the step response" with step response in scare quotes as if it's some exotic thing he's not sure of? No such thing occurred... "A win"? What did he win? What was gained here? Nothing really changed except that he turned a lot of previously neutral people against him.

Maybe the win is a small handful of existing customers will develop a bunker mentality and feel as if they're under attack along with Eric. That might generate some sympathetic FB comments, but I'm not sure how well that will pan out in terms of sales...
You're getting yourself worked up over the inexplicable behavior of a narcissist trying to spin a narrative. Don't try to rationalize anything he writes or says.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I don't think it is a good use of our funds to buy and test a speaker from him. When I was saying I would review more Tekton speakers, I meant in general. That is, if someone has one to test. Not that we go and buy one for the sake of testing. There are plenty of other things we could buy and test that would be more useful.

To be perfectly honest I’d rather read a review of you testing out a new garden spade by digging a Tekton mini-lore sized hole then……………

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The word has spread, the history written, and the Tekton guy will be remembered.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Maybe have the seller, who should be the original buyer, send a letter or affidavit clearly stating it hasn't been 'mistreated' or suffered any mishaps in any way that they are aware of, and there have been no alterations done. An age limit might be appropriate under the circumstances as well.

Oh, and preferably in the PNW. :cool:
Here's a set in Portland, just a few hours south of Amir.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/hillsboro-tekton-double-impact-speakers/7729253529.html

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always have the feeling that part of the US high-end community is strongly bonded with the Pentecostal one. there is an audition on Tekton's Youtube which also feels a lot like a cult.
Not to make comments about religion, but any niche or movement that is high on personal commitment and rejects scientific evidence will tend to resemble high-end audio. Whether it's $20K ethernet switches, flat-earth theories or homeopathic remedies, the pattern of behavior is always the same.

1) "Discover" an imaginary benefit from something
2) Acknowledge counter-evidence or disputes only as erroneous or conspiracies against your worldview
3) Double down within the community that's "under attack"
4) Realize the error of your ways, or go back to step 2

It's funny, but not that funny, but I think the evidence-based audio movement (ASR, Erin, etc.) is hardening the resolve of certain subjectivists because they're moving through stages 2 and 3 now.

dday84

View attachment 364168View attachment 364167
In what world are these speakers white?

Also, can Tekton call their colors "Lamorghini Green" and "Ferrari White" without getting permission or paying Ferrari and Lamborghini to use their brand name in marketing his speakers? I doubt it......and how funny would it be of those companies issued him a cease and desist or a lawsuit for that matter.

He likely just wants his speakers to be thought of as the equivalent of an exotic and expensive sports car, which performance wise there is no valid analogy between Tekton and those companies.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, can Tekton call their colors "Lamorghini Green" and "Ferrari White" without getting permission or paying Ferrari and Lamborghini to use their brand name in marketing his speakers? I doubt it...
I doubt it also.

how funny would it be of those companies issued him a cease and desist or a lawsuit for that matter.
I'd say it would be pretty funny. Maybe someone (especially someone that knows italian?) should send a little email to the legal departments of those firms...

edit: I can't find those brands in use on his site, actually, just in FB messages... maybe still enough to get a mean letter from the brand, but not sure he'd stand to lose much in court or anything.

Those car companies do occasionally do co-branding in other categories - there is a Ferrari edition of certain B&O speakers, for example. They probably pay quite a bit in royalties for those. And so I think they would take it quite seriously if someone was using their trademarks without permission. It would undermine the deal with B&O, not to mention the fact that there could be trademark dilution from associating Ferrari / Lamborghini with the less-than-stellar reputation of Tekton...

Of course we'll never get to see the correspondence, but I'd pay money to see Eric's face when he opens the C&D and/or demand letter...

e: @Danny23 points out that this is how the paint Eric uses is actually named/sold: https://everestautomotivemarket.com/custom-mixed-paint/ferrari/page-2/ - so I am not sure this is a case of Eric saying something he's not entitled to say.

Last edited:

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I don't see it as a high end thing. I've seen people get bent out of shape because people ragged on their favorite $10 pen. I've also seen elitists photography snobs say you aren't a real photographer (professional or hobbyist) if you use a phone.

In general I think it's more a function of social class, and ones self worth.

Two extreme examples would be:
  1. A low income person who saves for multiple months or years to buy a product.
  2. A high income person who purchases a top tier product because they see it as something that distinguishes them from people they deem lesser than themselves.
Both individuals can have very hostile reactions when their chosen product/brand doesn't turn out to be as good or as special as they think. but the reasoning behind their hostile response will be drastically different.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate the community spirit here, but I don't know that I could stomach contributing a single penny of money that would end up in Eric Alexander's pocket.
I think the money that he will make on one pair of speaker, is incomparable to the data and valuable insight, be it good or otherwise, that can be used to educate the consumer en masses.

It's also important to show the audiophile community, that (1) neither bullying nor misinformation/disinformation can stop the right to fair review by media (2) to uphold the value of scientific methods and data (3) to show the objectivity and fairness of ASR to those who doubt it.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, in that case, then there will be no GoFundMe for this effort. Thanks for your clarification!

Tell

Why would you review any more of his speakers after all this? He'll probably have more weird rejections giving you even more headaches. Would probably be way better to flat out ignore him since he's proven so many times now that he's fully unreasonable and shouldn't be given any more attention at all.

dday84

It looks like Eric also likes to use Maserati branding when describing his speaker colors. I just took this snapshot of in-stock speakers on the Tekton website.

Tekton Stock Page.png

dday84

edit: I can't find those brands in use on his site, actually, just in FB messages... maybe still enough to get a mean letter from the brand, but not sure he'd stand to lose much in court or anything.
He uses sports car names to describe colors on the "Specials" in-stock ready to ship speakers listed on the Tekton website.

Danny23

It looks like Eric also likes to use Maserati branding when describing his speaker colors. I just took this snapshot of in-stock speakers on the Tekton website.

View attachment 364199
When ordering bulk automotive paint, they cite the brand in the name. I painted my DIY speakers “Jeep Sting Grey,” from Everest Paints. He’s probably using actual automotive paint that have paint codes with those names.

Edited for typos.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Here's an example of how to handle this kind of issue. Competence combined with passion, and enough humility to entertain the idea he might have something to learn.

This whole thing will probably end up as a Case Study in Business and law schools.

Top Bottom