• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

morillon

Major Contributor
if the case is a sacred news ... a big blow for wiim etc ...
much more than if you become a "roon certified"( for people who would not be interested in the first place by a modest wiim at 100 dollars)

;-))))
(after amazon ,now...because of major markets by size etc
offer, via wiim and the deezer application, a really flac 44k16bits . ..)

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Me too - the more people that do, hopefully the less bug free the actual release will be. They seem to whitelist by release - I got an early version of the bit perfect firmware and had thought that put me on their whitelist for later releases, but apparently not.
Been waiting for AMHD since Feb when I bought my WiiM….

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not long to go ladies.

This will either be a game changer and Darko will make a video about it.

Or it will fizzle lol

Brantome

Major Contributor
Not long to go ladies.

This will either be a game changer and Darko will make a video about it.

Or it will fizzle lol
For me, as long as they support lossless bit perfect playback up to 24/192 AND allow access to my Amazon Music playlists, I’ll be a happy bunny. Being able to cast even just lossless HD, if not UHD, would be icing on the cake.

At the moment on my Heos Link HS2, I can get bit perfect up to 24/192, but no access to my own playlists; conversely, I can get access to my playlists thru my Fire TV Cube, but it’s not bit perfect and sounds ‘thinner’ on playback.

It’s like waiting for Santa ;)

Brantome

Major Contributor
I can’t wait till Amazon HD get release. Hopefully, this week.
If we’re lucky, we’ll get a beta release this week - it’s not a trivial task to implement otherwise the market would be awash with implementations which it isn’t…

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
The question is why the heck does Amazon make it so difficult?

I can play lossless all day long from the Tidal app via Tidal Connect to the WiiM. Spotify would be the same if they ever get around to implementing lossless.

Brantome

Major Contributor
The question is why the heck does Amazon make it so difficult?
They do seem to go out of their way to make it difficult - part of it may be that they seem to prefer dealing with very large multinational brands like Denon and Yamaha, and less so with smaller (but still significant in the audiophile market) makes like Linn which I have, or Naim as per this recent link on their forum.

Also, Amazon are very USA centric when it comes to Alexa features, and users in other regions are poorly served in comparison. Linkplay seem to be making better inroads but I guess they still have some of the barriers mentioned on the Naim post to navigate round too.

Brantome

Major Contributor
They do seem to go out of their way to make it difficult - part of it may be that they seem to prefer dealing with very large multinational brands like Denon and Yamaha, and less so with smaller (but still significant in the audiophile market) makes like Linn which I have, or Naim as per this recent link on their forum.

Actually, it has been a while since I properly read that Naim forum entry, and seeing what WiiM are doing of late, I think I can now better understand it. The first part gives a good indication of early Amazon Music implementations and the basic API available there for “quick and nasty/cheap” third party implementations.

The second part puts it more in the context of Alexa Multi Room Music (MRM) with implementation almost as an actual Echo device which is how the WiiM MinI appears in the Alexa app - the first time I’d seen that from a third party device. Doing it that way circumvents the limited API available for the limited Amazon Music implementations and exposes the device to the full range of music access that a real echo has - including casting that recognises the device’s capabilities. So, it’s almost like WiiM are enhancing their current implementation as a cuckoo echo to better exploit AMHD than it is for them actually developing AMHD support via a third party API.

Or am I over thinking this? ;)

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amazon UHD will be release on June, see FAQ on wiim website.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There’s new firmware appear on their website but I haven’t got the latest update. New features airplay 2 bit perfect but no tidal master or amazon uhd.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Can anyone please test the Airplay 2 bit perfect claim?

Using WiiM's optical output connected to a DAC that shows incoming sample rate.

Jpdelaney.tml

Here is ver#

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220524-235704.png
    Screenshot_20220524-235704.png
    758.5 KB · Views: 97

Brantome

Major Contributor
Full release of AMHD pushed back another three weeks till 6/20 :(

Latest
released on 5/24
New Features:
  • New music service: Sound Machine (Works with the latest app that will be updated in a few days)
  • Bit perfect AirPlay 2
Performance Improvements:
  • Bit-depth and sample rate information added to app UI for Spotify Connect, TIDAL Connect
  • WiFi disconnection when the device is idle for a day on certain routers
  • Random no sound issue when casting music from Amazon Music App to WiiM Mini
  • Small gap for Qobuz hi-res and Amazon music with WiiM Home App

Updates to be
released by 5/31
New Features:
  • Universal Search - Search across multiple music services
  • Two-way Bluetooth communication
  • Overriding Volume +/- with Next/Prev to control playback
  • Amazon Ultra HD support (Beta)
  • TIDAL Master support (no MQA)
  • OOBE experience improvements by separating network connection status update from device discovery
  • Audio quality improvements for analog output when using digital volume control

Updates to be
released by 6/20
New Features:
  • Favorites section - User's favorite tracks, playlist, stations, podcast, and recently played are listed in the favorites section of app
  • Users can select streaming quality in the "Now Play" app UI
  • Preset function - Double-click play/pause on WiiM Mini device to play preset music services, playlists, radio stations without using the app.
  • Amazon Ultra HD support (Release)
  • New music service: Calm Radio
  • Enhance play queue functions

I always expected AMHD to be an uphill struggle, but must admit I’m worried that we seem to have a succession of failed targets with little explanation of why. If I’d known in February that it would have been at least the end of June before we saw AMHD, I probably would have held off buying the Mini :(

Top Bottom