• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

thomasward00

Just signed up for Qobuz, transferred playlists from Amazon, problem is that no tracks play over CD quality on the Wiim.
Has anyone had this issue?

Bamyasi

Just signed up for Qobuz, transferred playlists from Amazon, problem is that no tracks play over CD quality on the Wiim.
Check Qobuz settings for the streaming quality on the device: WiiM Home app->Browse->Qobuz->Top left corner (hamburger icon)->Streaming.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All i care about is Alexacast. Wiim slays any other streamer for Amazon HD
Indeed all for just 99. It often goes on sale. I’m not sure what those 6000 dollars streamer would provide you aside more features and better dac but even that it won’t sound day and night knowing wiim is bit perfect on its optical out. Just big profit margin.

WiiM Support

Hi Thomas, please go to WiiM Home App and select browse tab > Qobuz > Menu icon (left to new Releases) > Streaming. You can adjust the streaming quality there. You can also find the tutorial here. Thanks!

Merifon

old small chromecast__ wiim
You should specify what set-up was for those measures.
Beside this, do you really think that anything below -130dB, could be audible?
Last but not least, if you think chromecast is better, why don't go with it?

Last edited:

RadioBuddha

Indeed all for just 99. It often goes on sale. I’m not sure what those 6000 dollars streamer would provide you aside more features and better dac but even that it won’t sound day and night knowing wiim is bit perfect on its optical out. Just big profit margin.

Apologies because I'm certain the answer is contained in this thread, I will go back and look through it but if anyone can answer, in general, how is the Wiim software gui for tuning into internet stations, do they take a long time to load, do they sound clear?

I'm looking for a low power system that I can cycle through some preset internet radio stations and allows me to turn off the Iphone while the station can play on the Wiim natively.

I am not an audiophile, the sound on the analog out of a Sangean WFR-28 to my ancient tower loudspeakers sounds perfect, I'm certain this would be no different, but in general, how is the sound from the Wiim dac?

Thanks.

morillon

Major Contributor
You will never give up on this, no matter how many times it's shown to be a non-issue. Pathetic.
more than struggling to switch from ultra hd 192k to amazon echos etc?
especially since many lip service recognize not even hear obvious differences between a not bit perfect and a bit perfect ..
so between a 48k24bits and 192k 24bits...
just like the simple eq mode in flat which degrades .... not bit perfect , normal
I just politely invite wiim to take some precautions on this point... that's all...
there shouldn't be any difference...and there is...
we continue to use the dac "classify them" according to a sinad on a simple 1k while what we listen to is so so so much more complex ... while recognizing not hearing the differences in the lab above 110 of sinad. ..
amazing
ca feeds a market certainly ... but as much to smile right?
the marketing of 192k to listen to jazz rock, non-acoustic music etc. also right?
while obvious impacts on the ecological side...

"I don't hear but at least... am at the top numbers in support"

me too I recognize over the months to find it honestly a little pathetic
:-o
ps
reading you shouldn't have any differences in dac outputs according to the nature of the inputs and we can clearly see from the tests here that this is not necessarily the case?
to read you can not even exist..
the Chinese dacs so appreciated here even integrate functions to manage jitter the dac in inputs, right?
don't forget also that a test such as a multitone in ap32 you has simplified observation is of a simplicity compared even to a simple agreement of a piano...
etc then a 1k!
;-)
sorry for my bad written expression then automatically translated..
just that all this is hardly serious you will agree..
and that we all try to stop our reasoning where it suits us.. it's human
;-)

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
more than struggling to switch from ultra hd 192k to amazon echos etc?
especially since many lip service recognize not even hear obvious differences between a not bit perfect and a bit perfect ..
so between a 48k24bits and 192k 24bits...
just like the simple eq mode in flat which degrades .... not bit perfect , normal
I just politely invite wiim to take some precautions on this point... that's all...
there shouldn't be any difference...and there is...
we continue to use the dac "classify them" according to a sinad on a simple 1k while what we listen to is so so so much more complex ... while recognizing not hearing the differences in the lab above 110 of sinad. ..
amazing
ca feeds a market certainly ... but as much to smile right?
the marketing of 192k to listen to jazz rock, non-acoustic music etc. also right?
while obvious impacts on the ecological side...

"I don't hear but at least... am at the top numbers in support"

me too I recognize over the months to find it honestly a little pathetic
:-o
ps
reading you shouldn't have any differences in dac outputs according to the nature of the inputs and we can clearly see from the tests here that this is not necessarily the case?
to read you can not even exist..
the Chinese dacs so appreciated here even integrate functions to manage jitter the dac in inputs, right?
don't forget also that a test such as a multitone in ap32 you has simplified observation is of a simplicity compared even to a simple agreement of a piano...
etc then a 1k!
;-)
sorry for my bad written expression then automatically translated..
just that all this is hardly serious you will agree..
and that we all try to stop our reasoning where it suits us.. it's human
;-)
The tests you are showing demonstrate - that for this topic at least - the devices are audibly identical.

Merifon

i tried switching from EQ off to EQ flat, back & forth many and many times, in near field and in the listening spot. I don't perceive anything different, even the smallest "click" of something switching. Shurely it's my fault...
In any case, no problem I do not use the equalizer...

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I have atmost av receiver. My question how do I listen just by turning on the decoder or the music has to be atmost? Can wiim do atmost?
AFAIK WiiM doesn't read Atmos metadata nor decode DD+ or TrueHD tracks. It could probably send DD+ sound unaltered over toslink but not TrueHD due to insufficient bandwidth.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Apologies because I'm certain the answer is contained in this thread, I will go back and look through it but if anyone can answer, in general, how is the Wiim software gui for tuning into internet stations, do they take a long time to load, do they sound clear?

I'm looking for a low power system that I can cycle through some preset internet radio stations and allows me to turn off the Iphone while the station can play on the Wiim natively.

I am not an audiophile, the sound on the analog out of a Sangean WFR-28 to my ancient tower loudspeakers sounds perfect, I'm certain this would be no different, but in general, how is the sound from the Wiim dac?

Thanks.
Typically takes less than one or two seconds to start playing when I select a radio stream, and yes, even low bitrate stations sound good feeding my Linn MDSM/4 amp over spdif optical.

timmo

I have kind of a stupid question for this device if I may : ) I wanted to buy a streamer (originally was going to get Bluesound Node until I learned of this wonderful device) so that I can use my bluetooth headphones connected to it to listen to music (Sennheiser Momentum 4) instead of listening to music connected directly to my iPhone (so that I can put my phone down and not rely on it at all, save battery, etc.). It seems like most people buy a streamer to hookup to speakers/wired headphones instead (via receiver, DAC, etc.) which is not my main use case. Do many people do what I’m doing with a streamer in using it with Bluetooth headphones only?

The experience is not the greatest with WiiM Mini with having the output set to Bluetooth. I run into all sorts of differing problems (e.g. loses the Bluetooth connection and have to reboot, get noise at times that ruins the experience, it defaults back to SPDIF a lot of time and won’t let me go back to Bluetooth unless I reboot, etc.). Just wondering if this Bluetooth experience is expected to improve, or is this as good as its gonna get? If as good as its gonna get, would I have a much better experience with Bluesound Node or would I run into similar Bluetooth issues as described above? And … am I crazy having this use case of strictly using Bluetooth headphones with a dedicated streamer? : ) I appreciate any help/comments on this so that I can re-adjust my thinkin’ … thx

Music1969

Major Contributor
But only if it does Utra HD in multiroom, the website is still sales orientated with the current mini, heavily promoting multiroom and 24/192 with absolutely no mention that the two don't work in tandem.

I genuinely don't think anybody that bought the 1st version thought that'd be a limitation and woud now think the sales advertising literature is misleading, in other words it's not fit for it's "inferred" purpose.
Fair enough but I don't feel upset when it plays lossy with multiroom, when I walking from the kitchen to toilet and back.

Not sure if anyone does critical listening with multiroom listening?

Would also be a challenge for my Dirac room correction - I need to see if Dirac make "multiroom correction" !

thomasward00

Call me crazy folks but the same equipment going between Amazon HD and Qobuz for the same songs...
To me Qobuz sounds better, it's subtle but better.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Call me crazy folks but the same equipment going between Amazon HD and Qobuz for the same songs...
To me Qobuz sounds better, it's subtle but better.
Sometimes Amazon UHD and Qobuz (and Apple) have different sample rates for same albums

And of course Tidal different again with MQA.

So it's not always comparing the same bits.

So it helps if you can share which album specifically?

thomasward00

To me Qobuz sounds better, it's subtle but better
Sometimes Amazon UHD and Qobuz (and Apple) have different sample rates for same albums

And of course Tidal different again with MQA.

So it's not always comparing the same bits.
Even at the same bit rates, it just seems like Qobuz sounds deeper... More detailed.

Top Bottom