• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coaxial speaker - near-field measurements. Correct microphone placement?

Snoop

Hello,
I would like to measure the Fluid Audio FX80 speaker (quasi-anechoic method). I encountered trouble with near-field measurements cause I didn't know how to set up the microphone (UMIK-1). It should be as close as possible to the center of a speaker's diaphragm but there is a waveguide for twitter. I tried to set it in front of twitter, but the result is: hard to splice results. Port and near field measurements are way apart - 28db SPL. I am following the procedure from this thread :

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

Is it correct to place the microphone in front of the central tweeter or should I place it between the woofer membrane and wave guide ?

Thank You for the clarification!
20230906_130535.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd place it right on-axis. Sometimes a coaxial will have a treble null there, so don't be surprised.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Hello,
I would like to measure the Fluid Audio FX80 speaker (quasi-anechoic method). I encountered trouble with near-field measurements cause I didn't know how to set up the microphone (UMIK-1). It should be as close as possible to the center of a speaker's diaphragm but there is a waveguide for twitter. I tried to set it in front of twitter, but the result is: hard to splice results. Port and near field measurements are way apart - 28db SPL. I am following the procedure from this thread :

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

Is it correct to place the microphone in front of the central tweeter or should I place it between the woofer membrane and wave guide ?

Thank You for the clarification!
View attachment 310055
:) by design a 'nearfield' won't work. You may want to get back asking what you want to achieve,

Top Bottom