• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 215 49.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 175 40.0%

• Total voters

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
yeah, i read about it later. but V3 is great as it is, dont see where is this PFFB noticeable in general use. Is there an actual audible difference to sound output, or this is just spec war.
I like the sound of the V3 just fine...using at present with some Elac Debut 6.0 speakers. I think for people with speakers that lean even further towards a bright sound, the rise in high frequencies may be an annoyance. For me, with my hearing top end at about 12khz, it's not a factor. If you look at Amir's graphs, the difference is pretty slight. The V3 has about +1 db at 20khz, the new mono amps about +.5 to .6 db at 20khz. Fosi had posted a revised graph that shows even less of a rise, which is cool. I think that's what they need to do for these to be considered competitive with the lower range of Hypex-based amps.

The other issue/improvement would be if one wants more power than the V3 can offer. Again, not a factor for me, as I'm using with a 36v power supply and it's plenty loud for our smaller room applications.

doug s.

yeah, i read about it later. but V3 is great as it is, dont see where is this PFFB noticeable in general use. Is there an actual audible difference to sound output, or this is just spec war.
if you look at frequency response and impedance graphs of speakers, you can determine if an amp w/o pffb will make a difference in your speakers. in the majority of cases, the answer will be no. the impedance of the speaker needs to be really high (or low) to affect the speaker's output - it will increase or decrease depending on the speaker's output being above or below 8 ohms at high frequencies. and even if the response is increased (or decreased) a db or two above, say, 10khz, most people will not be able to hear a difference. re: the improved distortion levels, there's no way you could hear the difference as distortion levels are already below audibility.

doug s.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I suspect the noise and distortion difference won't be audible. Load dependency may be, depending on the load. See Erin's tests of the za3 or Wiim Amp to see the 0.5dB peak at ~2kHz produced by a 20R impedance peak for an example of why it may be audible even to the older population. Some speakers have more extreme impedance swings that would produce larger changes, others not so much, so you would need to check. You can correct for it with filters - say the PEQ in the Wiim Amp.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Kimbrough Xu

Most people can not hear the difference, even in comparison test, as myself, I can not sense the 0.5dB difference. And different speakers have different impedances, it also depends on your speakers.

-Jim-

so to conclude, not worth the hassle for someone who owns V3 and ZA3 lol
This is a very decent Mono amp at this price point, and suitable for new systems and the delta isn't worth it for folks who already own a V3 or similar. But going forward, I expect this would be a leading candidate to evaluate if one wanted to build something up with Class D Mono Block Amps.

G-Can

This is a very decent Mono amp at this price point, and suitable for new systems and the delta isn't worth it for folks who already own a V3 or similar. But going forward, I expect this would be a leading candidate to evaluate if one wanted to build something up with Class D Mono Block Amps.
I get the proper mono block amps, due to their size and power, so they would be really big to have them in one enclosure.

But I trully dont see why this would exist as a solo amp, or they need to just make a 2ch straight power amp, like combining two of these in one enclosure.

burkm

A mono amp has for multichannel applications its advantages, or how would you power the 3-channel front arrangement (L,C,R etc.) ?
This is one of the many advantages a single channel (mono) may have...

G-Can

A mono amp has for multichannel applications its advantages, or how would you power the 3-channel front arrangement (L,C,R etc.) ?
This is one of the many advantages a single channel (mono) may have...
how? with something made for it, less cables, less power bricks, less mess, as in
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-m5100-amp

To buy 3 x mono V3, it will cost you over $400, I would spend extra few $ to buy a dedicated 3ch amp.

single box with built in power supply, and way less cables and mess, then 3 x V3.

And in my experience, V3 is actually not good for HT use, at least original V3. It sounds like crap comapred with my AVR output dut to low gain or something, I was explained.

C0mbat

I see that the Kickstarter campaign will provide two options. One with a single power supply and one with two power supplies. I'm easily able to hide my power supplies so would there be any sonic benefit in getting two or should I stick with one? I don't play my music above 75db and I'm only feeding the signal above 85hz to them as I'll be using the high pass filter on my Kef KC62 sub.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Quick question, would it be better to have the volume control in Windows 11 set to 100% and then control the volume through the Fosi V3 amp, or can I just leave the amp at maximum volume and control it through Windows?
Depending of your set-up,I would read this one first:

It might need to be a tad lower to avoid stuff.

Kimbrough Xu

I see that the Kickstarter campaign will provide two options. One with a single power supply and one with two power supplies. I'm easily able to hide my power supplies so would there be any sonic benefit in getting two or should I stick with one? I don't play my music above 75db and I'm only feeding the signal above 85hz to them as I'll be using the high pass filter on my Kef KC62 sub.
Then just one 48V 5A is enough.

Falco

Forum Donor
I ordered this little amp for the play room of my boys so they can play some music, quite eager to receive it...

I plan to use it with a SMSL SU-1, RPi streamer with moOde OS and some Q Acoustics 2020 speakers.
Nice that it's such a simple amplifier as my kids basically only use Spotify as music source, hope this little amp delivers.

Top Bottom