• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the new Gustard H16 balanced headphone amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by one of their dealers, shenzhenaudio. It has a retail cost of US $399.99 but it is on sale for $363.99 as of this writing.

From the outside, there is nothing that gives away the difference between this high-end headphone amplifier and others:

Gustard H16 Review Headphone Amplifier Balanced.jpg

Rotate the optical encoder on the right though and the chatter of the relays tells you that it is a digitally controlled "R2R" volume control. This assures perfect channel matching as you will see in measurements. For sensitive IEMs, this can be an issue as analog potentiometers are least accurate at their lowest settings. Channel shift can occur as a result which can be annoying.

The rear panel shows that it can be useful as pre-amplifier as well:

Gustard H16 Review Headphone Amplifier Balanced back panel.jpg

You can select inputs and gain setting via short or long press of the center button on the volume control or use the supplied remote control. The remote is another advantage of the digitally controlled volume control.

The H16 is very hefty which I think due to internal toroidal transformer. AC input means doing away with an external power supply which can be substantial in size in some competing products.

Gustard H16 Measurements
Let's start with our usual pass-through test which required use of medium gain (low gain is -6 dB from what I recall):

Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier unbalanced.png

As noted, that is with balanced input but "unbalanced" 1/4 inch headphone jack. Switching to balanced XLR headphone jack improves performance a bit:

Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier Balanced.png

Notice how the mains trace at 60 Hz is highly reduced in level. I would have wanted to see the rest of the power supply spikes to go away as well to match the incredibly low harmonic distortion (down to -140 dB or so). Mind you, the power supply spikes are down to -130 dB which is hugely below threshold of hearing so is not an audibility issue but sheer engineering prowess. As it is, ranking is below top of the class:

best balanced headphone amp review.png

Here is our dynamic range which contributes to lower ratings:

Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier dynamic range.png

Lowering the volume so that the output gets down to just 50 millivolts, gives a middling performance:
Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier dynamic range 50mv.png

Most quite noise headphone amplifier review.png

It is a bit ironic that the volume control is designed for sensitive IEMs yet the noise level is not as low as it needs to be for that class of device.

Frequency response is as perfect as you can get it up to 100 kHz and likely beyond:
Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier unbalanced Frequency Response.png

Distortion+noise relative to frequency shows excellent performance, beating once reference Drop THX AAA 789 amplifier:

Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier Balanced THD vs frequency.png

Power versus distortion and noise is the name of the game in headphone amps so let's jump in there with 300 ohm load, using balanced output:

Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier Balanced power into 300 ohm.png

The low gain mode doesn't seem to be that great. It has slightly lower noise but distorts much earlier. Medium gain seems to be a good everyday setting with high gain reserved for less efficient headphones. Max power while more than enough, loses out to competing products which go as high as 1 watt or twice as much.

My 33 ohm load is only unbalanced:
Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier Balanced power into 33 ohm.png

In high gain mode, we have decidedly higher noise than competing products. Max power is a bit short again but balanced mode is available for more power.

Channel matching as predicted is perfect:

Gustard H16 Measurements Headphone Amplifier Channel Matching R2R Relay.png

Note that the curve has some discontinuity in it indicating either lack of accuracy in selection of resistors or on-purpose ramping.

Gustard H16 Headphone Listening Tests
As usual I start with my headphone amp killer test which is the 25 ohm, inefficient Drop Ether CX. The H16 drove these like it was child's play. There was incredible clarity, bass and dynamics. I turned up the level to 75 and could not tolerate going higher. There is a ton of reserved, absolutely clean power. If the sound is bad, it is either your music or your headphones.

I did notice a minor issue though: at some increment levels of volume control there is a faint tick. I think this happened between levels 31 and 32 and then in 70s. It is a bit annoying but again, it is faint.

Next test was the Sennheiser HD-650. Despite using the unbalanced 1/4 inch headphone jack, the H16 drove them with absolute authority. At the extreme, the bass was so powerful that it not only gave my ear lobes a tingle but provided a nice skull massage as well! If you want to loose your hearing fast but enjoying it very much along the way, the H16 will do it!

Conclusions
The race in building the most perfect DAC and headphone amplifier has been beautiful to watch. We have achieved what I call "instrument grade" performance, going way beyond any level of transparency we could ever aspire. Tons and tons of power is available which provides incredibly fun moments where you dare to lose a few hair cells in order to have nirvana. What can I say: perfection is what you get. The Gustard H16 delivers on all of these promises in addition to perfect channel matching through its relay controlled digital volume. And ability to use it with remote.

There is a small performance penalty relative to top of the class products here. As a practical matter it does not register but as numbers go, you have given up a tiny bit here and there. And then there is that slight audible ticking sound in the volume range.

I have become such a perfectionist that the above two items kept me from giving the H16 my highest rating. But I ultimately made a call and that was that. Your priority will be different than mine.

Overall, I am very happy to recommend the Gustard H16.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than being very slightly underpowered, which per the listening test has little if any significance, hard to see how this isn't first rate performance. And it has everything anyone could possible want in a headphone amp, and does away with that stupid power brick.

boselover61

Other than being very slightly underpowered, which per the listening test has little if any significance, hard to see how this isn't first rate performance. And it has everything anyone could possible want in a headphone amp, and does away with that stupid power brick.
Isn't the SMSL SH-9 better performance than this with lower price?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Two things to notice.
1, The amplification circuit is discrete. So this proves that discrete circuit can also have great performance.
2, The max output power for 300ohm is hindered by its gain setting. There's no excuse in relay based design. Would be great to see 50ohm bal output power tho. @amirm

Overall Atom level of THD+N, SP200 level of noise, Violectric level of power(supposedly). Pretty ok. Not as impressive as X16 but still good enough in most cases nonetheless.

Great review as always.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Two things to notice.
1, The amplification circuit is discrete. So this proves that discrete circuit can also have great performance.
2, The max output power for 300ohm is hindered by its gain setting. There's no excuse in relay based design. Would be great to see 50ohm bal output power tho. @amirm

Overall Atom level of THD+N, SP200 level of noise, Violectric level of power(supposedly). Pretty ok. Not as impressive as X16 but still good enough in most cases nonetheless.
Good enough for me and priced right too

gvl

Major Contributor
4.7/10kOhm input impedance for RCA/XLR. Not as low as we've seen before but the trend continues.

raif71

Major Contributor
The volume knob looks kind of recessed but there are bumps around it. Can we still use that "knob" to control volume without using the remote?

Sunship

You're being a bit tough on this one :) It ticks all boxes as a hifi Pre-amplifier for people who have an analog source (Especially with efficient speakers). An alternative to the Benchmark HPA4 or Dangerous music monitor controller etc.: XLR/RCA ins and outs. Relais volume control and remote control. What seems to be a nice buid quality and internal power supply. With this kind of measurements for under 400 bucks!!!

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You're being a bit tough on this one :) It ticks all boxes as a hifi amplifier for people who have an analog source (Especially with efficient speakers). An alternative to the Benchmark HPA4: XLR/RCA ins and outs. Relais volume control and remote control. What seems to be a nice buid quality and internal power supply. With this kind of measurements for under 400 bucks!!!
Well. SH9 exists. (as well as sp400, a90) And Amir gives recommendation on this one.
Also if Amir reviews HPA4 at this time around it won't get nearly as good response.

Sunship

Do they have remote control? SH9 does not have pre-outs does it? Also at this price point A90 being $100 more is not nothing. I'm not trying to pick a winner, they're all incredible value. But just looking at this Gustard as something pretty great.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The volume knob looks kind of recessed but there are bumps around it. Can we still use that "knob" to control volume without using the remote?
Yes. The little dots on that wheel give you enough friction to rotate the volume knob. It is not as nice as a real knob but works.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do they have remote control? SH9 does not have pre-outs does it? Also at this price point A90 being $100 more is not nothing. I'm not trying to pick a winner, they're all incredible value. But just looking at this Gustard as something pretty great.
Well yes. One thing to notice is that both preout and phone out are on all the time. So it's a little inconvenient. Other than that it's solid.

Veri

Master Contributor
Lots of functionality and good price. Digital volume control & pre-amp function gives it an advantage. Distortion is really low considering the discrete nature, wonder how they've done it... however, to drive both high impedance loads as well as the most sensitive ones like IEMs, a THX-based amp still looks to be the most versatile. If the residual noise and 50mW were a little better this would have been a solid A. As it stands it will suit a lot of people, will tick most boxes, but perhaps not all. Note the similarity to SH-9 though: digital volume control => lower 50mW SINAD.

Overall though, great engineering by Gustard, keeping into consideration its price point.. :)

F1308

Major Contributor
Channel shift can occur as a result which can be annoying.
Excuse my lack of very basic knowledge...
At times I think I know just nothing...
Are you saying that volume control matches both channels perfectly while moving, say, from 10 to 95, but left channel could become being reproduced on the right hand one and viceversa if I happen to move the volume down to zero and insist doing so ?
Thank you...

Top Bottom