• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

okok

heard that the new topping a30pro will destroy everything

-124.xx dB thd+n uwt

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I am going to try to sum it up: we don't want H16. We want X16 deliveries, and we don't care MQA. Deactivate it by software modification and deliver the X16 already paid please.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review Amir.

Nice combimation of features and excellent, but mostly unimpressive performance. I like mains in, volume attenuator, input and output layout and selection.

As a discrete circuit, it does really well. If I wanted to try that for some reason, I would probably go for the less impressive SINAD, much less featured, but excellent, Schiit Asgard to match all my other Schiit.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Can someone explain to me what do you mean by discrete circuit? Any advantages/disadvantages?
It means they designed the whole amplification circuit with transistors (one could also use tubes) and capacitors and resistors etc. rather than using an operational amplifier or chip, which is a device made by a chip company that amplifies the signal. A chip or op amp is more complex and simplifies the engineering and design. There is no sonic or measurement advantage to a discrete circuit. It is just that they pulled off a difficult challenge in getting this level of performance in a discrete circuit.

A long time ago, the first op amps might have been cheap junk not for hifi, but that is no longer. Some people dislike them because if this. They cost a lot less, so people may think they are not as good because people also tend to value things that are scarce.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I am going to try to sum it up: we don't want H16. We want X16 deliveries, and we don't care MQA. Deactivate it by software modification and deliver the X16 already paid please.
The ESS chip is MQA capable. Not sure you can just de-activate it. In any case, it feels like ESS is partly to blame.. was there any procedure for the licensing? Really just "you can buy our chips, rest is up to you" ??. That's some Wild, Wild West shit, honestly.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Can someone explain to me what do you mean by discrete circuit? Any advantages/disadvantages?
A discrete circuit is constructed of components which are manufactured separately. Later, these components are connected together by using conducted wires on a circuit board or a printed circuit board. The transistor is one of the primary components used in discrete circuits, and combinations of these transistors can be used to create logic gates. These logic gates can be used to obtain the desired output from an input. Discrete circuits can be designed to operate at higher voltages.
Disadvantages of Discrete Circuits
  • Assembling and wiring of all individual discrete components take more time and occupies a larger space required.
  • Replacement of a failed component is complicated in an existed circuit or system.
  • Actually, the elements are connected using soldering process so, that may have caused less reliability.
  • To overcome these problems of reliability and space conservation, integrated circuits are developed.
Integrated Circuits
An integrated circuit is a microscopic array of electronic circuits and electronic components (resistors, capacitors, inductors…) that are diffused or implanted into the surface of semiconductor material wafer such as silicon. Integrated Circuit invented by Jack Kilby in the 1950s. A chip is commonly termed as Integrated circuits (IC).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The ESS chip is MQA capable. Not sure you can just de-activate it. In any case, it feels like ESS is partly to blame.. was there any procedure for the licensing? Really just "you can buy our chips, rest is up to you" ??. That's some Wild, Wild West shit, honestly.
One can deactivate it in the dac registers. It's eventually up to the end manufacturer to decide to use it and to go through the certification or not. It's basically an equivalent to a program or a section of a code built inside the chip. Just like whether you want to use the MQA library for XMOS. It's the same. It's there and if the designer wants to use it the product will need to go through the MQA certification process.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
This is just only audio, a cheap DAC. Not a really big affair anyway.

I guess it's possible to program the XMOS for not sending MQA to the DAC.

Parkerjon

The Gustard manual for this unit is somewhat sparse in regard to information.
I already have an X16 on order and am wondering if I go XLR from the X16 to the H16 whether the pre-out can be configured for fixed level output on the XLR output?
I am hoping to use the H16 to pass the audio on to an integrated with XLR input but don't want to worry about the current volume level.
The Topping A90 manual definitely indicates that the pre-out is subject to the current volume setting.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The Gustard manual for this unit is somewhat sparse in regard to information.
I already have an X16 on order and am wondering if I go XLR from the X16 to the H16 whether the pre-out can be configured for fixed level output on the XLR output?
I am hoping to use the H16 to pass the audio on to an integrated with XLR input but don't want to worry about the current volume level.
The Topping A90 manual definitely indicates that the pre-out is subject to the current volume setting.
It would be unusual to have a seperate volume control for pre out, line level pre out, or a selection. Most people prefer to have the gain and control there. Good luck.

Neel

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review @amirm.

I was interested in getting a Gustard x16 and pair it with the H16 for a headphone setup that I am building. However, based on this review I am not so sure. Now, I am considering pairing the x16 with the Topping A90 - Has anyone considered this pairing for a headphone setup? Do you anticipate any issues with this pairing?

Tks

Major Contributor
Two things to notice.
1, The amplification circuit is discrete. So this proves that discrete circuit can also have great performance.
2, The max output power for 300ohm is hindered by its gain setting. There's no excuse in relay based design. Would be great to see 50ohm bal output power tho. @amirm

Overall Atom level of THD+N, SP200 level of noise, Violectric level of power(supposedly). Pretty ok. Not as impressive as X16 but still good enough in most cases nonetheless.

Great review as always.

I like the volume control. Not having to deal with scratchy pots is so high on my list of purchasing amps these days. Also nice to see no channel issues practically speaking.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I like the volume control. Not having to deal with scratchy pots is so high on my list of purchasing amps these days. Also nice to see no channel issues practically speaking.
I like and will pay for a good attenuator. I don't require it, but if good attenuators continue to become more common, I will.

It is certainly a more important factor than 6dB SINAD when we are at 'instrument-grade' performance.

The Jniac

You do know that product development and product distribution are separate parts of the company, right? It is not like the R&D of the H16 delayed the manufacturing and delivery of the X16.

The Jniac

Excuse my lack of very basic knowledge...
At times I think I know just nothing...
Are you saying that volume control matches both channels perfectly while moving, say, from 10 to 95, but left channel could become being reproduced on the right hand one and viceversa if I happen to move the volume down to zero and insist doing so ?
Thank you...

Potentiometers tend to track very well until you get near the bottom of their range. Once you reach a certain point, one channel will drop in volume more than the other, creating a volume difference between the channels.

See here, where the dashed blue line indicates the difference between the channels, with the scale being on the right of the graph.

The Jniac

Pretty solid performance, and combined with the preamp functionality, proper volume control (I'm sorry, but if you are charging anything more than budget prices for your product, it should not be relying on a potentiometer for volume control), and being able to be used with a remote control, I think that this unit will sell pretty well. If only the rotary encoder was not recessed...

Top Bottom