• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

gvl

Major Contributor
It would be unusual to have a seperate volume control for pre out, line level pre out, or a selection. Most people prefer to have the gain and control there. Good luck.

Pre-out is usually just tapped to the headphone output and if there's no way to turn off the phones output line output must track the same level. Sabaj D5 however remembers separate levels for the headphone and line outputs, which is nice but no gain control for the headphones which sucks.

dlieb

Should we expect the preamp output to behave similarly to the headphone out? I'm interested in using this as a preamp to feed my Ncore amplifier.

Reactions: wje

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Next test was the Sennheiser HD-650. Despite using the unbalanced 1/4 inch headphone jack, the H16 drove them with absolute authority. At the extreme, the bass was so powerful that it not only gave my ear lobes a tingle but provided a nice skull massage as well! If you want to loose your hearing fast but enjoying it very much along the way, the H16 will do it!
Dude, your HD650s will one day blow up on you with those listening levels, lol.

F1308

Major Contributor
Potentiometers tend to track very well until you get near the bottom of their range. Once you reach a certain point, one channel will drop in volume more than the other, creating a volume difference between the channels.

See here, where the dashed blue line indicates the difference between the channels, with the scale being on the right of the graph.
But, once you increase the volume again...will it recover or what ?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review @amirm.

I was interested in getting a Gustard x16 and pair it with the H16 for a headphone setup that I am building. However, based on this review I am not so sure. Now, I am considering pairing the x16 with the Topping A90 - Has anyone considered this pairing for a headphone setup? Do you anticipate any issues with this pairing?
I have the H16 and the A90,if you're willing to wait until 2021 I'll let you know, still waiting for the X16

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we're easily at the point here where the most important differentiators are ergonomics, appearance, and feature set within one box.

For my computer set up I use a MOTU m4 because it checks all the boxes for me - adequate performance, great control of both monitors and headphones, sufficient output for each. I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit on the absolute hifi performance to get features which are important to me (nice meters, 4 audio inputs, good mic preamps, low latency).

When are we going to see products like this with the DAC built in?
Does such a product exist or am I missing something?

- Preamp outs and headphone outs with some kind of switching or two volume controls
- USB input
- 100db+ SINAD for the whole system
- A remote and good quality volume control
- Under $400

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I badly need such a product myself. Need one analog input for my Reel to Reel. Others have turntables. Wish someone would make one.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All I dislike in the A18/X16 (small volume fonts) vanish if pairing with present H16. = GREAT combo.
Dac mode (fixed vol) and use of a preamp for speakers and HP amp.
Considering end 2020 standards, It would be nice if it was better measuring (only due to discrete circuit?), but that's a very small point.

I wish the A90 would have a remote and volume monitor ;)

PS- The idea to have all integrated in one box = Nirvana :p

MrOtto

Great review, thanks. Could one expect the same quality of output on the RCA or XLR preout on this unit? I would really like to see these output tested on units that could double as a preamp as well as headphone amp.

Edit: it was answered, but could one be certain if the output is not analyzed?

Ajax

Forum Donor
I badly need such a product myself. Need one analog input for my Reel to Reel. Others have turntables. Wish someone would make one.

Hi Guys,

Benchmark Media have been making studio quality DACs / Preamps with digital volume control, analogue inputs and great headphone amps for may years now.

IMO the sweet spot is the DAC2 HGC, which has an Asynchronous USB Audio interface, and can be found secondhand for around $US900. I appreciate it is more than twice the money of the Gustard, however, it is made in the US.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...to-analog-audio-converter-factory-refurbished

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the sweet spot is the DAC2 HGC...
There is no doubt that these relatively inexpensive products coming from China are impressive, spec-wise. Having spent a lot of time there, their high tech does not surprise me anymore. Although you don't read about it over here much, China is bringing back rocks from the moon as I type.

For their home market these little electronic products are a no brainer, representing great value. As an import product, especially here in the US, questions must be asked. Questions regarding long term viability. Questions about their ability to be imported at a low price point. Questions about service. Those questions are not easily answered. It is (or at least has the potential to be) a complicated situation. Perhaps those questions are beyond the scope of ASR's technical oriented concerns. But for a consumer they are relevant.

Personal story: a year or two ago I was set to buy a Hauwei phone. My carrier was going to sell and support the brand. I was happy about that and ready to make the purchase. Then everything changed overnight. If I needed an inexpensive DAC or headphone amp, I'd buy quickly. Who can say how any of this will turn out?

raif71

Major Contributor
There is no doubt that these relatively inexpensive products coming from China are impressive, spec-wise. Having spent a lot of time there, their high tech does not surprise me anymore. Although you don't read about it over here much, China is bringing back rocks from the moon as I type.

For their home market these little electronic products are a no brainer, representing great value. As an import product, especially here in the US, questions must be asked. Questions regarding long term viability. Questions about their ability to be imported at a low price point. Questions about service. Those questions are not easily answered. It is (or at least has the potential to be) a complicated situation. Perhaps those questions are beyond the scope of ASR's technical oriented concerns. But for a consumer they are relevant.

Personal story: a year or two ago I was set to buy a Hauwei phone. My carrier was going to sell and support the brand. I was happy about that and ready to make the purchase. Then everything changed overnight. If I needed an inexpensive DAC or headphone amp, I'd buy quickly. Who can say how any of this will turn out?
Any chance story can turn around for Huawei under new administration?

Parkerjon

It would be unusual to have a seperate volume control for pre out, line level pre out, or a selection. Most people prefer to have the gain and control there. Good luck.
Thanks for reply
I guess I'll need to use the SE outputs from the X16 to my Integrated and the XLR outputs to a headphone amp.

Top Bottom