• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Niles SI-275 Amplifier Review

KA7NIQ

I've picked up a couple of the Sonance amps on eBay. They are designed and built for the same purpose - installers and system integration. Build and sound quality I would expect to be comparable to the Niles. They are generally bridgeable and can have high output - I got a 2x125w for $100 shipped. Some of the their amps are also 2.7 ohm stable.
I have BOTH the Sonance and the Niles amp that Amir just reviewed. My speakers are 94 db efficient, but dip down to 2 ohms~! I know the Sonance is stable at 2 ohms, not sure about the Niles. Both amps appear to be made by the same company, they are very similar.

Niles300z

Excellent writeup. I like mine as well. I do find them a great value. Russound is another that mimics this style. Also seem well done. Its nice to have a good source of clean affordable power for audiophiles on the cheap.

Old Iron

I just bought a Niles SI-275 and SI-245 from Craigslist today. Both amps have identical PCB's. Just larger output transistors and Transformers. The input signal path is all discrete transistors. The input capacitors are both good grade NP with a 220uF bypassed with a 22uF. My first plan is to use both amps to Bi-amp my Totem Rainmakers to see if I can make them behave better. You can see my post on the Rainmaker review.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A few months back I bought two Speakercraft BB-2125 commercial amps, same target market.

Here's a snap shot of the inside I found on google.

images

I had considered it was possible Speakercraft, Sonance and Niles shared the same OEM, but if they do the quality may vary greatly. One of the amplifiers was DOA and the other made a lot of noise, both the amp itself as well as line noise at the speakers. Generally unacceptable performance for any level of HiFi. I've not tried a Sonance yet, but the exterior quality on units I've seen seems in between that of the Niles and Speakercraft with Niles being superior to both in fit and finish. The Speakercraft quality was alarmingly poor. The front panel flexed from the top of the chassis on both units. I could have easily stashed my junk mail in through the gap of the front panel and the chassis while I was prying.
I've heard nothing good about Speakercraft. A lot of failures.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just bought a Niles SI-275 and SI-245 from Craigslist today. Both amps have identical PCB's. Just larger output transistors and Transformers. The input signal path is all discrete transistors. The input capacitors are both good grade NP with a 220uF bypassed with a 22uF. My first plan is to use both amps to Bi-amp my Totem Rainmakers to see if I can make them behave better. You can see my post on the Rainmaker review.
Since my earlier comments on this thread, I've had two Niles SI-245s. As good amps as any I've heard and reliable as heck.

Top Bottom