• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yeah I did. Looks like they have a lot of tickets - mine is 400 up from my last one a couple of weeks back, now #2222
Got a response and WiiM say they’ll release a fix this week. They also say they’ve got certification from Amazon for Amazon Music Cast and will release that next week, and will maybe remove the beta whitelist. They are also testing gapless AMHD playback in the WiiM app and might send me firmware to try that.

They’re maybe not sticking to their roadmap, but they’re making progress.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Long delays :(
Yeah, but hopefully they’ll meet those dates - I was particularly looking forward to the parametric EQ this week :(
Maybe they’ve lost some dev resources, but if they sell lots more on the back of AMHD support, maybe that’ll bring in revenue to increase that again.

derek13

As a former software engineer I’m actually pleasantly surprised by how quickly they have been rolling out new software releases - especially as they are adding functionality as well as bug fixing. Their roadmap was always a bit too optimistic. The good news is that they do eventually deliver.

Brantome

Major Contributor
As a former software engineer I’m actually pleasantly surprised by how quickly they have been rolling out new software releases - especially as they are adding functionality as well as bug fixing. Their roadmap was always a bit too optimistic. The good news is that they do eventually deliver.
Yeah, it was mentioned way back in this thread that they’d be better off publishing a slower, more realistic roadmap rather than the over optimistic one they have been. While I’d love a parametric EQ, Amazon Music HD/UHD support was my main focus for buying the WiiM and it’s (almost) achieved that. Maybe I’ll get the PEQ for my birthday ;)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yeah, it was mentioned way back in this thread that they’d be better off publishing a slower, more realistic roadmap rather than the over optimistic one they have been. While I’d love a parametric EQ, Amazon Music HD/UHD support was my main focus for buying the WiiM and it’s (almost) achieved that. Maybe I’ll get the PEQ for my birthday ;)
No chance for the PEQ on my birthday with current roadmap.

Raver

Got a response and WiiM say they’ll release a fix this week. They also say they’ve got certification from Amazon for Amazon Music Cast and will release that next week, and will maybe remove the beta whitelist. They are also testing gapless AMHD playback in the WiiM app and might send me firmware to try that.

They’re maybe not sticking to their roadmap, but they’re making progress.

Thanks for this feedback. I might be missing something here. I now have 3x Wiim Mini's connected throughout the house. I have linked them to Alexa via Amazon account and now I can see the Wiim Mini's in the Amazon Music app on my Android phone and select them as a target to cast to. I can also create speak groups in Alexa adding the Wiim Mini's to it and play them in multi room setup using the Amazon Music app on my Android phone.

Multi room also works using the Wiim Home app as does streaming Amazon Music to the Wiim Mini obviously. Issue with the Wiim Home app is it appears I need to establish a link with 2 or more speakers before playing music from Amazon or Qobuz. If I am already playing music in the Wiim Home app on one speaker it will not allow for a second speaker to be added. The stream just continues from one Wiim Mini, this had me stumped for a few minutes until I did it in the correct order to get this working.

With Amazon Music I can simply stop casting to one Wiim Mini and start casting to a speaker group I have defined in the Alexa app with more than 1 Wiim Mini in it. Seems to work better in the Amazon Music app for Multi room and casting.

The statement above "They also say they’ve got certification from Amazon for Amazon Music Cast and will release that next week" indicates that this is still coming when it already works... what am I missing here?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Thanks for this feedback. I might be missing something here. I now have 3x Wiim Mini's connected throughout the house. I have linked them to Alexa via Amazon account and now I can see the Wiim Mini's in the Amazon Music app on my Android phone and select them as a target to cast to. I can also create speak groups in Alexa adding the Wiim Mini's to it and play them in multi room setup using the Amazon Music app on my Android phone.

Multi room also works using the Wiim Home app as does streaming Amazon Music to the Wiim Mini obviously. Issue with the Wiim Home app is it appears I need to establish a link with 2 or more speakers before playing music from Amazon or Qobuz. If I am already playing music in the Wiim Home app on one speaker it will not allow for a second speaker to be added. The stream just continues from one Wiim Mini, this had me stumped for a few minutes until I did it in the correct order to get this working.

With Amazon Music I can simply stop casting to one Wiim Mini and start casting to a speaker group I have defined in the Alexa app with more than 1 Wiim Mini in it. Seems to work better in the Amazon Music app for Multi room and casting.

The statement above "They also say they’ve got certification from Amazon for Amazon Music Cast and will release that next week" indicates that this is still coming when it already works... what am I missing here?
If I remember correctly WiiM is registered as other brand device for Alexa Casting. Maybe it will be registered as WiiM Mini after certification.

Joffieb

No chance for the PEQ on my birthday with current roadmap.
This PEQ thing is so weird. I mailed them last Friday and they replied that it would be done this week.

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE: On the subject of the PEQ, how will it affect the quality of the source file? I think we all love this thing because its bit perfect and punches way above its weight when connected to a decent DAC, but how will using the planned EQ affect that?

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
QUESTION FOR EVERYONE: On the subject of the PEQ, how will it affect the quality of the source file? I think we all love this thing because its bit perfect and punches way above its weight when connected to a decent DAC, but how will using the planned EQ affect that?
By definition, EQ is not bit-perfect. Every sample is changed by the addition of the EQ filter.

Does it affect the "quality" of the source file? Well, it shouldn't add noise or distortion so long as the signal is not driven into clipping. Big boosts in any combination of EQ bands do risk clipping, however. Hopefully, the PEQ they implement will have a "pre-amp" function where you can reduce the gain of the original samples before applying EQ.

Brantome

Major Contributor

Unless you have the beta firmware, you won’t be casting lossless Amazon Music HD at the moment.

Edit: also, I don’t believe WiiM’s multi room supports more than 16/48

Brantome

Major Contributor
By definition, EQ is not bit-perfect. Every sample is changed by the addition of the EQ filter.

Does it affect the "quality" of the source file? Well, it shouldn't add noise or distortion so long as the signal is not driven into clipping. Big boosts in any combination of EQ bands do risk clipping, however. Hopefully, the PEQ they implement will have a "pre-amp" function where you can reduce the gain of the original samples before applying EQ.
While it might be audiophile heresy, I find using the Treble Reducer in the current app sounds better to my ears using my Linn MDSM/ M109 combo. Clearly my room acoustics and speaker setup, as well as my hearing aids, need some attention ;)
Also, when I had a Roon trIal, use of its DSP and PEQ sounded better for me after I altered the sound profile a bit. At the end of the day, how something sounds to me is a more important measurement than ticking a “bit perfect” box.

Joffieb

I was using the bit perfect issue as a yardstick only and was more concerned that once the Wiim Mini EQ's and therefore "gets involved" in the digital file, will it still be such a miraculously fantastic streamer for the money?

Brantome

Major Contributor
I was using the bit perfect issue as a yardstick only and was more concerned that once the Wiim Mini EQ's and therefore "gets involved" in the digital file, will it still be such a miraculously fantastic streamer for the money?
True, it might be asking too much for its equaliser to be world beating in amongst its other qualities , but at least it’ll still have the option of feeding a bit perfect stream into whatever equalizer might do better. Still a snip at the price anyway I look at it.

Raver

Unless you have the beta firmware, you won’t be casting lossless Amazon Music HD at the moment.

Edit: also, I don’t believe WiiM’s multi room supports more than 16/48

Ok thanks for the feedback on Amazon HD casting. It does show in the Amazon Music app as Ultra HD but I am guessing that is wrong. I don't have an external DAC so I can't see the exact bitrate coming from the Wiim Mini before the amp.

Are we expecting lossless Amazon Music HD to work correctly when cast to a multi room under the Amazon Music app once Wiim firmware moves from beta or just cast to a single device?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Ok thanks for the feedback on Amazon HD casting. It does show in the Amazon Music app as Ultra HD but I am guessing that is wrong. I don't have an external DAC so I can't see the exact bitrate coming from the Wiim Mini before the amp.

Are we expecting lossless Amazon Music HD to work correctly when cast to a multi room under the Amazon Music app once Wiim firmware moves from beta or just cast to a single device?
While the Amazon music app may well show that ultra hd badge that’s the source track, not playing quality - if you click on it it’ll tell you that the resolution isn’t available when casting, you need to rely on your DAC to show what’s actually playing.

I can also cast to an Alexa multi room group, but as that group also contains echo devices which don’t support UHD, all devices including the WiiM only play at 16bit HD. In theory, if the group only contains WiiM Minis, it should play at UHD but as I only have one WiiM, I can’t confirm that.

Top Bottom