• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

JLGF1

You can't deploy 8 filters (think dots) on the wiim, only 4.

Progger

That EQ is for the ES200, not for the ES20.

Even if it was for the right speaker, you cannot implement that EQ on the WiiM, because it does not support the required number of bands.
The PEQ preset would have to be recomputed with the WiiM's PEQ limitations in mind.
I found these settings under the elite es20 title. As far as I know, there is no model called elite es200.
You can't deploy 8 filters (think dots) on the wiim, only 4.
Do you have any advice on how I can reduce these settings to 4? Also, do you have any recommendations for the sample rate and bit depth values in the spdif output settings? Thank you very much.

Progger

Amir'in ilk sayfa incelemesine bakarak bu şekilde yapabildim. Ancak olumlu bit değişim olmadı.
Screenshot_20231001-131122_WiiM Home.jpg

Merifon

I found these settings under the elite es20 title. As far as I know, there is no model called elite es200.

Do you have any advice on how I can reduce these settings to 4? Also, do you have any recommendations for the sample rate and bit depth values in the spdif output settings? Thank you very much.
Am i wrong or you want apply a generic correction to your room?
If it's the case, forget that it can fit with your room. Any ambient has its proper Schroeder frequency and its own resonance mode behavior for basses and reflections and decay for upper ones.
A generic (and random) equalization applied without test measures in listening position, can worse instead of resolve.

Progger

Am i wrong or you want apply a generic correction to your room?
If it's the case, forget that it can fit with your room. Any ambient has its proper Schroeder frequency and its own resonance mode behavior for basses and reflections and decay for upper ones.
A generic (and random) equalization applied without test measures in listening position, can worse instead of resolve.
It was a great change from the EQ setting I used for my headphones before. I am also looking for the best sound and equalizer setting for the speaker (of course for the room I use it in).

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ah it's just a typo. That makes sense.

Do you have any advice on how I can reduce these settings to 4?
You can load the EQ graph into HPToy (iOS/Android), then try to match the response as best as possible with four peak filters:
Screenshot_20231001-122004_HPToy.png
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 640 Hz Gain -3.2 dB Q 4.78
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1949 Hz Gain 1.6 dB Q 1.02
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 5429 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 1.25
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 8475 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 6.03

As you can see, with only four bands, I had to compromise by leaving out the corrections at 55Hz, 1kHz, and 3.5kHz

Alternatively, you can download the raw measurement data from Amir's review post as .csv/.txt, then load that into REW or autoeq.app, then let it generate PEQ values with the WiiM's limitations in mind.

As others have said though, this approach of applying an anechoic correction of Amir's ES20 to your ES20 in your room has limited use.

Ideally, you'd make in-room response measurements with something like the UMIK-1 and the MMM method, then create PEQ filters based off those.

Merifon

It was a great change from the EQ setting I used for my headphones before. I am also looking for the best sound and equalizer setting for the speaker (of course for the room I use it in).
Of course, headphones have a relatively closed and stable reference.
As far for rooms, I would suggest to get a response measure, at least with some app, House curves for iOS for example, android models are too much to have so reliable result. Believe me, the measure of real behavior of room, is a must starting point.

Progger

Ah it's just a typo. That makes sense.

You can load the EQ graph into HPToy (iOS/Android), then try to match the response as best as possible with four peak filters:
View attachment 315857
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 640 Hz Gain -3.2 dB Q 4.78
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1949 Hz Gain 1.6 dB Q 1.02
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 5429 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 1.25
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 8475 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 6.03

As you can see, with only four bands, I had to compromise by leaving out the corrections at 55Hz, 1kHz, and 3.5kHz

Alternatively, you can download the raw measurement data from Amir's review post as .csv/.txt, then load that into REW or autoeq.app, then let it generate PEQ values with the WiiM's limitations in mind.

As others have said though, this approach of applying an anechoic correction of Amir's ES20 to your ES20 in your room has limited use.

Ideally, you'd make in-room response measurements with something like the UMIK-1 and the MMM method, then create PEQ filters based off those.
Of course, headphones have a relatively closed and stable reference.
As far for rooms, I would suggest to get a response measure, at least with some app, House curves for iOS for example, android models are too much to have so reliable result. Believe me, the measure of real behavior of room, is a must starting point.
Thank you very much for your interest and detailed answers, I am investigating.

Progger

Hello, I just couldn't get an answer to one of my questions. How do you recommend me to choose the sample rate and bit depth values in the SPDIF output resolution section? Thank you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello, I just couldn't get an answer to one of my questions. How do you recommend me to choose the sample rate and bit depth values in the SPDIF output resolution section? Thank you.
Choose 24bit if your DAC supports it.
The sample rate should ideally be matched to the audio files.
Does the WiiM change sample rate automatically?

Greenman

It may depend a a few factors.
1. what is your dac capable of processing.
2. What internet speed do you have.
3. What streaming service are you using.

For me, I just set it to 192khz and 24 bits. i just want the WiiM passing the source file through unaltered (from Qobuz in my case). In theory a higher sample rate moves some filter artefacts out of the audio band (or to less important areas of audio band) even though the extra theoretical bandwidth is not audible).

The 24 bits probably makes little difference either way as almost no end to end systems are capable of resolving past 16 bits (even if the dac can do it), but it shouldn’t cause any issues other than higher download volumes. if you are paying per downloaded Gb then setting this to 16bits should not be audible.

EDIT - just thought that these settings probably don’t impact the volume of the data downloaded to the WiiM so ignore (2). To limit in that way you would need to change the streaming service settings.

Last edited:

Progger

Choose 24bit if your DAC supports it.
The sample rate should ideally be matched to the audio files.
Does the WiiM change sample rate automatically?
It may depend a a few factors.
1. what is your dac capable of processing.
2. What internet speed do you have.
3. What streaming service are you using.

For me, I just set it to 192khz and 24 bits. i just want the WiiM passing the source file through unaltered (from Qobuz in my case). In theory a higher sample rate moves some filter artefacts out of the audio band (or to less important areas of audio band) even though the extra theoretical bandwidth is not audible).

The 24 bits probably makes little difference either way as almost no end to end systems are capable of resolving past 16 bits (even if the dac can do it), but it shouldn’t cause any issues other than higher download volumes. if you are paying per downloaded Gb then setting this to 16bits should not be audible.

EDIT - just thought that these settings probably don’t impact the volume of the data downloaded to the WiiM so ignore (2). To limit in that way you would need to change the streaming service settings.
I listen to flac with deezer. There is no external DAC. I am using the amp Yamaha A-S301 internal DAC. There is no problem with internet speed or download capacity.

Greenman

I listen to flac with deezer. There is no external DAC. I am using the amp Yamaha A-S301 internal DAC. There is no problem with internet speed or download capacity.
A quick look in the AS301 manual suggests this digital input supports up to 192/24 So in theory anything that the WiiM puts out the Yam should be able to handle. On the other hand as far as I can tell Deezer max quality is CD quality nothing higher than 44.1/16 is going to be coming down from Deezer. So basically whatever you set the WiiM to should make no difference in your case as you aren’t going to get anything higher than CD. I don‘t think setting the WiiM to, say, 192/24 would cause issues, it won’t change the sample rate it only downsamples not upsamples.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
seems like the Yamaha 301 DAC accepts up to 192//24. Good amp. So I'd set it to that limit - although the audible purist in me says we wouldn't be able to hear anything above 16/44 so why bother. But I set my own limits higher except for multi-point casting.

att007

Hi. Do we have anybody here who has an SMSL SU-1 with Wiim Mini? I experienced a weird operation yesterday and I don't know the answer for it. When I played an mqa file from Tidal the magenta led came up which means the final unfolding as per SU-1 user's manual (Magenta: Delivering the final unfold of the MQA file and displays the original sample rate.) Then I switched on the EQ to use one of my custom eq settings and the magenta led went off, switched off the eq completely, magenta led came back on. Is this an anomaly or is there a clear reason why this is happening?

RosalieTheDog

Hi. Do we have anybody here who has an SMSL SU-1 with Wiim Mini? I experienced a weird operation yesterday and I don't know the answer for it. When I played an mqa file from Tidal the magenta led came up which means the final unfolding as per SU-1 user's manual (Magenta: Delivering the final unfold of the MQA file and displays the original sample rate.) Then I switched on the EQ to use one of my custom eq settings and the magenta led went off, switched off the eq completely, magenta led came back on. Is this an anomaly or is there a clear reason why this is happening?

This is normal. EQ cannot operate on MQA. Pick one.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Smitty2k1

I've been away for a while but did the Wiim Mini ever get full squeezelite support like the Wiim Pro? My research is telling me "no".

That's a real bummer if true, my Wiim Mini is great but I'm missing ReplayGain by using LMS in the UPNP bridge mode. $150 for a new Wiim Pro seems unreasonable for that single feature.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I've been away for a while but did the Wiim Mini ever get full squeezelite support like the Wiim Pro? My research is telling me "no".

That's a real bummer if true, my Wiim Mini is great but I'm missing ReplayGain by using LMS in the UPNP bridge mode. $150 for a new Wiim Pro seems unreasonable for that single feature.

No support for Squeezelite on the WiiM Mini - per post #104 on this thread from the WiiM Forum

Occasionally Linkplay sells 'refurbished' WiiM 'Pro' audio streamers for $99.99 USD at their outlet store on Ebay

Top Bottom