• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smitty2k1

No support for Squeezelite on the WiiM Mini - per post #104 on this thread from the WiiM Forum

Occasionally Linkplay sells 'refurbished' WiiM 'Pro' audio streamers for $99.99 USD at their outlet store on Ebay

Thanks for the confirmation about the Mini and the tip about their eBay store. I've got a notification set now.

fquails

I have multiple Wiim Mini devices and noticed that when streaming HiRes files from UPnP server to more than one synced Wiims, the Wiim defaults to 16/48kHz (as shown on my external DACs). Curious if the Pro does the same? Also, does the Wiim Mini at least retain the original kbps?

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Linkplay multiroom is restricted to 16/48 at the moment but WiiM have mentioned in the past that they were looking at hi res multiroom groups. However it wasn’t said whether that would encompass the mini as it has only a quarter of the storage iirc of the Pro/Plus so might not have sufficient resources for hi res multiroom. Plus there‘s a school of thought who assert that in multiroom or party mode , you don’t need any better than 16/48…

fquails

Linkplay multiroom is restricted to 16/48 at the moment but WiiM have mentioned in the past that they were looking at hi res multiroom groups. However it wasn’t said whether that would encompass the mini as it has only a quarter of the storage iirc of the Pro/Plus so might not have sufficient resources for hi res multiroom. Plus there‘s a school of thought who assert that in multiroom or party mode , you don’t need any better than 16/48…
Thanks. Your response made me explore the Wiim website, and found the below under the Wiim Mini Roadmap as of Feb 2023. Looks like they do plan to have multi-room Hi-Res playback for the mini. Hope they can do it!!
IMG_9125.jpeg

Brantome

Major Contributor
Thanks. Your response made me explore the Wiim website, and found the below under the Wiim Mini Roadmap as of Feb 2023. Looks like they do plan to have multi-room Hi-Res playback for the mini. Hope they can do it!! View attachment 325546
It’s been a while since they updated or stuck to that roadmap tbh, so I’d wait and see

Esss

Looks like Wiim has implemented the Tidal Connect FLAC - I am not a beta tester so I would think this means it's rolled out to all and sundry

lusterbrill

Hi all,
I have a problem upgrading the firmware of my Wiim Mini.
My current firmware is 4.6.509552 and i'm trying to upgrade to 4.6.536231.
I have tried all the suggestions provided by the Wiim forum but with no luck.
I reset the Mini, restore it to factory defaults and tried to upgrade the firmware from an android and IOS devices.

The upgrade procedure always stops immediately after the download indication with the message "upgrade failed", wiim mini rebooted: retry.
The Wiim mini is brand new so this will be the first firmware upgrade.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
cheers from Italy

Merifon

Hi all,
I have a problem upgrading the firmware of my Wiim Mini.
My current firmware is 4.6.509552 and i'm trying to upgrade to 4.6.536231.
I have tried all the suggestions provided by the Wiim forum but with no luck.
I reset the Mini, restore it to factory defaults and tried to upgrade the firmware from an android and IOS devices.

The upgrade procedure always stops immediately after the download indication with the message "upgrade failed", wiim mini rebooted: retry.
The Wiim mini is brand new so this will be the first firmware upgrade.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
cheers from Italy
Open a ticket with with app. They are usually fast responding.

lusterbrill

Open a ticket with with app. They are usually fast responding.
Hi,
Yes, I opened a ticket with the app and my Wiim mini resulted to be defective.
They have already sent me a new unit as a replacement.
Very good customer support, kudos to Wiim!

Regards

Bogda

If I want to listen to the TuneIn radio and I am using Android phone, must I stream bluetooth through my phone?
Can I simply control TuneIn Radio from WiiM App, sending stream through WiFi to Mini and avoid stream going through my Android phone?

Brantome

Major Contributor
If I want to listen to the TuneIn radio and I am using Android phone, must I stream bluetooth through my phone?
Can I simply control TuneIn Radio from WiiM App, sending stream through WiFi to Mini and avoid stream going through my Android phone?
Tunein is supported within the WiiM Home app

fquails

Does anyone know if the Wiim Pro is a better DLNA/UPnP renderer than the Wiim Mini? I have over 3,000 HiRes tracks in my laptop. When I play all tracks in shuffle mode, the Wiim Mini only selects a fraction of my tracks to play, leaving the rest out of the queue. I am hoping the Wiim Pro with more robust hardware can include all tracks in the shuffle queue.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if the Wiim Pro is a better DLNA/UPnP renderer than the Wiim Mini? I have over 3,000 HiRes tracks in my laptop. When I play all tracks in shuffle mode, the Wiim Mini only selects a fraction of my tracks to play, leaving the rest out of the queue. I am hoping the Wiim Pro with more robust hardware can include all tracks in the shuffle queue.
Unlikely, I understand they basically share the same codebase for common functions. What UPNP server are you using?

Bubbleupnp on Android is largely accepted as the best upnp client app - if you use that instead of the WiiM Home app to play to your Mini, do you get better results?

Last edited:

fquails

Unlikely, I understand they basically share the same codebase for common functions. What UPNP server are you using?

Bubbleupnp on Android is largely accepted as the best upnp client app - if you use that instead of the WiiM Home app to play to your Mini, do you get better results?
I tried basic Windows DLNA, and Foobar 2000 on my laptop. I also used Bubbleupnp on my Fiio M11 plus ESS (android based portable Music player)

Using the Fiio M11 with Bubble UPNP as the server AND controller to play music to the Wiim Mini works well. But I wanted something that will work with iOS, as all my other devices are Apple, for which Bubble UPNP is not compatible.

I did try using the Bubble UPNP in the Fiio as the server, playing to the WIIM, controlled via Wiim app on my iPhone. As described in my initial post, the Wiim app only plays a fraction of the available tracks. Same results with using laptop as server, playing to Wiim, controlled via Wiim app on iPhone.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Maybe try mConnect on ios, pointing at your server with the WiiM as player? While I think WiiM are hoping to improve their UPNP client in the WiiM Home app to be as good as BubbleUPNP (which is ambitious), it may still have a way to go to achieve that.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
You might also try JPlay on iPhone, iPad or Windoze. A bit overpriced, but perhaps worth it for you.

fquails

Maybe try mConnect on ios, pointing at your server with the WiiM as player? While I think WiiM are hoping to improve their UPNP client in the WiiM Home app to be as good as BubbleUPNP (which is ambitious), it may still have a way to go to achieve that.
Thanks for the recommendation! Currently trying mConnect Lite and so far it works great! Not sure I need the full version. Will see. Only thing lacking is Replaygain, but I can live with that. Thanks again!

Top Bottom