• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

AKR

Airplay depends on the source. Airplay 2 from iPad is still lossy.
Did you verify this? Is it still AAC 256.

Has anyone tried to stream Apple Music hi res after this latest firmware update.

AKR

I checked both Apple Music and a local file, Airplay from iPad was AAC.
It’s confusing. I thought the ASC 256 was an Airplay 2 limitation not IOS compressing the output. So if WiiM can receive lossless streams over Airplay 2 why is IOS compressing it.

AKR

It’s confusing. I thought the ASC 256 was an Airplay 2 limitation not IOS compressing the output. So if WiiM can receive lossless streams over Airplay 2 why is IOS compressing it.
An iPhone/iPad directly connected via USB to a DAC ( with the CCK adapter) streaming Apple Music gets lossless through. Therefore assuming somehow WiiM has managed to trick Airplay 2 that it’s an Airplay 1 device to get lossless streams in from any source, the IOS constrain over Airplay 2 is strange.

Mojorisin35

Go morning audio friends.

I would like to probe your collective hive mind to get the best solution for my audio set up.

I have recently purchased the WiiM mini and have it working with my vintage Sharp Optonica receiver. However, as I understand it to get the best streaming resolution, I will need to use the optical out. Naturally my vintage receiver does not include an optical out.

I want a simple DAC with a high quality optical in to 3.5/or RCA out to the receiver.

The only solution I have found is:

Hifime S1 SPDIF Optical DAC (ES9018K2M)

https://hifimediy.com/product/s1-spdif-optical-dac-es9018k2m/

So, am I looking at this solution for my setup correctly? Are there other simple DACs that are better than this one that would fulfill this spot in my system.

Thank you

Gary

Brantome

Major Contributor

I would like to probe your collective hive mind to get the best solution for my audio set up.

I have recently purchased the WiiM mini and have it working with my vintage Sharp Optonica receiver. However, as I understand it to get the best streaming resolution, I will need to use the optical out. Naturally my vintage receiver does not include an optical out.

I want a simple DAC with a high quality optical in to 3.5/or RCA out to the receiver.

So, am I looking at this solution for my setup correctly? Are there other simple DACs that are better than this one that would fulfill this spot in my system.

Thank you

Gary
Several Topping DACs have been mentioned in this thread - the D or E series 30 or 50 according to a search.

AKR

So, am I looking at this solution for my setup correctly? Are there other simple DACs that are better than this one that would fulfill this spot VG

I suggest a Schitt Modi 3E which is as simple a DAC as you can get. One toggle switch for modes in the front - in your case set to Optical and that’s it. No display. Plug in and forget you have it. Does the job well.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Dear user,

We are testing the Amazon Music HD/UHD now. If you want to experience it early, we can whitelist your device and then you can listen to Amazon Music HD/UHD.

Have a nice day!

Best,
WiiM Support
Any confirmation that they put you on the list? I’m getting cloth ears on my request…

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dear user,

We are testing the Amazon Music HD/UHD now. If you want to experience it early, we can whitelist your device and then you can listen to Amazon Music HD/UHD.

Have a nice day!

Best,
WiiM Support
Did you get your device whitelisted?

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any confirmation that they put you on the list? I’m getting cloth ears on my request…
I was asked if I want to be in whitelisted and replied to them. I haven’t got any answer yet.

Mojorisin35

Patience it sounds like it is still being worked on.

"We are fixing some issues and it maybe take a few days. Could you go to Device Settings portal -> Info -> MAC address to check the Mac address and send it to us? We will use the MAC address to whitelist your device.
Have a nice day!
Best,
WiiM Support"

Witterings

I was asked if I want to be in whitelisted and replied to them. I haven’t got any answer yet.

Maybe they're actually trying to get it to work .... the more people that keep submitting requests will just delay that process as nobody can do two things at once so .... they have choice ...... reply to yours ... and I'm sure several other people's requests which will take up their time ..... OR spend their time actually trying to get it to work.

Which would you prefer?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Tested with the RME 16/44.1 test files. It is bit-perfect now.
Thanks!

If you Airplay Apple Music or Deezer or Tidal from an iPad, just a 16/44.1k file (not MQA, not 24bit), does your router have ability to show data transmission rate?

Is it around ~1.4 mbps roughly?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Thanks!

If you Airplay Apple Music or Deezer or Tidal from an iPad, just a 16/44.1k file (not MQA, not 24bit), does your router have ability to show data transmission rate?

Is it around ~1.4 mbps roughly?
Most of them pull a buttload, then cache, so very hard to tell average rate. I do have a FLAC account with The Jazz Groove, which doesn't appear to cache; getting about 0.8Mpbs on average, which is correct for FLAC, as it is (losslessly) compressed. Would only get 1.4Mpbs for WAV or other uncompressed files.

This was through my LMS server. Don't have an iPad.

Top Bottom