• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

telemike

Airplay update. Using Amazon, it is showing 24 bit/48khz in the app but my DAC shows 44.1khz.

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    111 KB · Views: 96
  • 8652E60A-7A45-490C-A52F-0E5675DC4EE3.jpeg
    8652E60A-7A45-490C-A52F-0E5675DC4EE3.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 100

Music1969

Major Contributor
Airplay update. Using Amazon, it is showing 24 bit/48khz in the app but my DAC shows 44.1khz.

Airplay is currently limited to 16/44.1

WiiM have told me they are seeking approval from Apple to support 24/48kHz.

Much respect to the WiiM team.

They are pushing along, step by step.

For Amazon use though, the coming UHD support update might be of more interest to you.

Have you asked WiiM to be on the whitelist? to beta test

Jpdelaney.tml

Just a quick comment regarding the Wiim Mini. Seems to be top topic on ASR. Very interesting!

Jpdelaney.tml

No more FLAC indicated in Mini app running Deezer? Seems to be full spectrum sound from speaker. Appears to filter after 20kHz app scale should say 20000.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-234420.png
    Screenshot_20220525-234420.png
    716.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20220525-234355.png
    Screenshot_20220525-234355.png
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 73

Jpdelaney.tml

Try a different source

We need a summary list
Deezer is a little messed up, but it sounds okay. Ending its' trial soon, back to lossy AM, maybe I can't tell the difference anyway.
Would be nice to supply my 113 SINAD DAC with something tasty.
That is why I bought the Mini, optical out @ 24/192 to my new DAC. And it does that from my NAS perfectly when it finds the NAS.

Now for the same from Amazon's streaming service would be so nice. They will deliver soon, Who cares what the app does if it does AM lossless out the spdif cleanly.
Cheers.

Music1969

Major Contributor
It’s 16/48 via iOS
When I say Airplay is limited to 16/44.1k - I'm talking about WiiM's Airplay implementation at the moment, not Airplay in general.

WiiM confirmed they are getting approval from Apple for 48k support.

Can you show some evidence you are getting 16/48k via Airplay with your WiiM?

tsammyc

Airplay is currently limited to 16/44.1

WiiM have told me they are seeking approval from Apple to support 24/48kHz.

Much respect to the WiiM team.

They are pushing along, step by step.

For Amazon use though, the coming UHD support update might be of more interest to you.

Have you asked WiiM to be on the whitelist? to beta test
Audirvana can use Airplay 2 off MacOS (in addition to uPnP) to communicate with WiiM. When I send a 24/48 file from Tidal to WiiM, Audirvana reports that it is sending at 24/44.1 file through Airplay 2. It's possible, as you say, WiiM then truncates the extra bits to 16/44.1, but WiiM is reporting to Audirvana that it can receive 24 bit files. Indeed all MQA files from Tidal whether 192Khz 96Khz etc are sent as 24/44.1 to WiiM over Airplay 2 by Audirvana.

Not completely sure if I did it right, but the WiiM 5G bandwidth seems to be about 115kb/s

Attachments

• IMG_5455.jpg
    IMG_5455.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 58

Music1969

Major Contributor
Audirvana can use Airplay 2 off MacOS (in addition to uPnP) to communicate with WiiM. When I send a 24/48 file from Tidal to WiiM, Audirvana reports that it is sending at 24/44.1 file through Airplay 2. It's possible, as you say, WiiM then truncates the extra bits to 16/44.1, but WiiM is reporting to Audirvana that it can receive 24 bit files
WiiM can receive 24 bits from Audirvana - via UPnP. That's a completely different protocol to Airplay2.

WiiM Support told me yesterday Airplay right now is limited to 16/44.1 in WiiM Mini and they are applying for approval for 24/48k.

Thanks for testing.

Not completely sure if I did it right, but the WiiM 5G bandwidth seems to be about 115kb/s
That is very low. CD quality is ~1400kbps

But see post #980 above by @Ralph_Cramden . It can be a bit tricky to use this bitrate data.

Everyone needs to ask WiiM Support to add bitrate data to their Home app, so there will be much less guessing.

Music1969

Major Contributor
You can't trust anything in the Amazon app other than "track quality". Everything else in that screenshot is bollucks (not your fault)

Hopefully one day "track quality" matches what DAC input shows.

Brantome

Major Contributor
You can't trust anything in the Amazon app other than "track quality". Everything else in that screenshot is bollucks (not your fault)

Hopefully one day "track quality" matches what DAC input shows.
The ios/android app has got worse in that respect, around the same time as they introduced Dolby Atmos/3D tracks. I've even seen the device capability change between tracks which makes no sense at all...

Music1969

Major Contributor
The ios/android app has got worse in that respect, around the same time as they introduced Dolby Atmos/3D tracks. I've even seen the device capability change between tracks which makes no sense at all...
It's hilarious that none of these huge companies have got it all worked out.

Spotify Connect is superb but 'limited' to lossy.

Tidal Connect is very good except stuck with fake hi-res MQA lol, just give us the real thing. If they dump MQA , this is the best of the bunch.

Amazon is a complete joke, not sure where to start but I'm sure you already know.

Apple could update Airplay to support 24/192 but haven't yet. For now it's a mess. They are closest to possibly get it perfect.

I reckon by the end of this year one of the above will be 'sorted'.

Who will it be ! Who knows. Maybe YouTube Music comes out of nowhere and does it properly. Although Chromecast at present is not gapless.

Reactions: AKR

Witterings

It's hilarious that none of these huge companies have got it all worked out.

Spotify Connect is superb but 'limited' to lossy.

Tidal Connect is very good except stuck with fake hi-res MQA lol, just give us the real thing. If they dump MQA , this is the best of the bunch.

Amazon is a complete joke, not sure where to start but I'm sure you already know.

Apple could update Airplay to support 24/192 but haven't yet. For now it's a mess. They are closest to possibly get it perfect.

I reckon by the end of this year one of the above will be 'sorted'.

Who will it be ! Who knows. Maybe YouTube Music comes out of nowhere and does it properly. Although Chromecast at present is not gapless.

Hate to say it as I don't like them as a company but I've got this funny feeling it may be Amazon, I think they'll do it and offer the best at the lowest cost, kill their competitors and then increase their prices.

If you think where Amazon started you ordered something before Prime and it was there the next day with no postage cost, they then introduce free delivery for over £20, the then introduced Prime (for a monthly / annual fee) and gave you next day delivery with no delivery cost .... they very recently changed that and the Prime that your paying for is no longer neccessarily next unless it states Prime Next day .... and if you look around and trawl through the site, I bought some water filters recently, £52 with prime or you can find them on there for £48 with delivery 4/5 working days so in essence you're paying a fee for Prime which is supposed to include delivery cost but the products are more expensive hiding the fact there is actually a 2nd delivery cost despite you've supposidly paid for it by being a Prime member ..... scam to me.

telemike

Spotify would be PERFECT if they offered lossless. Spotify Connect works the best. Tidal Connect is ok, but it doesn't offer lockscreen control on IOS or from desktop app

Reactions: AKR

Music1969

Major Contributor
I know a high end company that already did the background work to support Spotify HiFi on their products.

They are ready to release firmware update for it, for their products.

But they have no word from Spotify if/when the actual service it will actually go 'live'

telemike

Before the latest update, Airplay was 48khz on my DAC. Now it's 44.1khz on my DAC. So that's probably 266k AAC 44.1/16

tsammyc

WiiM can receive 24 bits from Audirvana - via UPnP. That's a completely different protocol to Airplay2.

WiiM Support told me yesterday Airplay right now is limited to 16/44.1 in WiiM Mini and they are applying for approval for 24/48k.

Thanks for testing.

That is very low. CD quality is ~1400kbps

But see post #980 above by @Ralph_Cramden . It can be a bit tricky to use this bitrate data.

Everyone needs to ask WiiM Support to add bitrate data to their Home app, so there will be much less guessing.
Using Tidal MQA, Audirvana sends 24 bits up to 192 KHz to WiiM via uPNP. Using Audirvana with Airplay 2, MQA is fixed at 24/44.1

Top Bottom