• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

Tidal app is very nice to use and it looks great (the track credits is really awesome) and Tidal Connect works very nice with lots of streamers.

If just wish Tidal would replace the fake hi-res with the original hi-res files !

But let's leave deep MQA discussion for a different thread :D
I already pleaded with Tidal customer service, to give up on MQA (and to be on topic, asked to Deezer and Qobuz to drive natively Wiim)... :cool:
In the meantime I hope they leave the original 44.1 16bit files unscathed, not as with all the kraftwerk discography, miraculously "transformed" into MQA 24 bit ...

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
In the meantime I hope they leave the original 44.1 16bit files unscathed, not as with all the kraftwerk discography, miraculously "transformed" into MQA 24 bit ...
MQA CD is the main the reason I quit Tidal. The rest of the MQA I could probably tolerate because the app is nice and Tidal Connect works really well

(and to be on topic, asked to Deezer and Qobuz to drive natively Wiim)... :cool:

Qobuz Connect is happening and I'm sure WiiM will support it once it officially launches.

Deezer is all 16bit/44.1k so technically you can Airplay bit perfect to WiiM right now. But this doesn't help Android and Windows users of course

Pep2020

MQA CD is the main the reason I quit Tidal. The rest of the MQA I could probably tolerate because the app is nice and Tidal Connect works really well

Qobuz Connect is happening and I'm sure WiiM will support it once it officially launches.

Deezer is all 16bit/44.1k so technically you can Airplay bit perfect to WiiM right now. But this doesn't help Android and Windows users of course
Android users could always use this:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Those require rooting your phone, not something most will be willing to do. mConnect will work for Qobuz, though like the WiiM Home app, it uses an embedded version of the Qobuz app.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Those require rooting your phone, not something most will be willing to do. mConnect will work for Qobuz, though like the WiiM Home app, it uses an embedded version of the Qobuz app.
BubbleUpnp doesn't require rooting. Using it on both Pixel and LG phones.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
BubbleUpnp doesn't require rooting. Using it on both Pixel and LG phones.
Yes. However, like WiiM Home and mConnect, you can't use the native Qobuz app with it. Only by rooting the phone can this be done, AFAIK.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Yes neither does Airmusic.
Screenshot 2022-06-14 7.29.34 AM.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
Try Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon first/second tracks and you will hear it. DJ mixes sound OK but many other records are not. In particular, it produces some annoying effect when the second track is starting loud.

Comparing to Qobuz, same tracks play perfectly gapless on WiiM app, so it is definitely AM implementation issue.

I tried Dark Side of the Moon - there is 1/10th of a second gap.

Agreed it isn't perfectly gapless like Qobuz in the same WiiM Home app. It's a very very small gap compared to casting but yes it's there.

Have you actually reported this to WiiM?

Tell them to compare the same album in the same WiiM Home app, Qobuz vs Amazon.

If you look at their release notes you will see they improved Qobuz gapless - meaning it wasn't always perfect with Qobuz. They had to fix it.

So if people report it, they can fix it.

If nobody reports, we can't expect them to fix it if they don't know.

(apologies if you already have reported it of course)

Music1969

Major Contributor
You should try posting on amazonforum.com too - you’ll no doubt get some uninformed responses from their front line support, but hopefully they will pass the request on. I’ve done that for the U.K. version of the site.

Done:

I hope everyone here does it via the app on Android or iOS (it allows you to email Amazon Music).

Just ask them to forward to the app engineers for Amazon Music and Alexa

If these 4 things are fixed, everyone's user experience dramatically improves with casting to WiiM Mini

Don't assume you can't make a difference.

You can just copy and paste what I wrote and send it that way if it's easier

Don't just post on that forum thread hoping someone from Amazon sees it.

Do the email via the app. It should at least reach someone at the Amazon Music team that way.

Pep2020

Does not need root. Look a little deeper
I have used it for years to stream Amazon music to airplay in an android phone to picoreplayer. My phone is not rooted. It is not required if you have android version 10+

Merifon

tried Dark Side of the Moon - there is 1/10th of a second gap
Just to info, Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express is a long track, divided seamlessly in three moments with theirs own name. On CD obviously play straight. With Tidal connect there is a little but audible stop in changing chapter, whilst play from Wiim app is substantially gapless or the jump is quite inaudible.
When I was on AM trial, a long silence and a stuttering start were at chapter change. With Wiim app, was decisely better but still unsatisfying. Qobuz seemed gapless but could been a very short gap also, I'm not sure.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just to info, Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express is a long track, divided seamlessly in three moments with theirs own name. On CD obviously play straight. With Tidal connect there is a little but audible stop in changing chapter, whilst play from Wiim app is substantially gapless or the jump is quite inaudible.
When I was on AM trial, a long silence and a stuttering start were at change. With Wiim app, was decisely better but still unsatisfying. Qobuz seemed gapless but could been a very short gap also, I'm not sure.

Noted.

I just hope people are telling WiiM, not just here on the forum.

WiiM are working to improve gapless (just look at their release notes for Qobuz).

But they need to know.

I hope people don't just assume WiiM know all the issues by magic.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
BubbleUpnp on my stock Píxel.
As I said, not via the native Qobuz app, but using a more limited embedded version. You’re better off using the WiiM Home app, which doesn’t need to stream through your phone. Unless something has drastically changed in the five or so years since I’ve used a ‘droid phone.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As I said, not via the native Qobuz app, but using a more limited embedded version. You’re better off using the WiiM Home app, which doesn’t need to stream through your phone. Unless something has drastically changed in the five or so years since I’ve used a ‘droid phone.
?? I don't need to use BubbleUpnp to stream Qobuz just showing the app works without root for those who want to stream via DLNA to the WiiM from file server or Qobuz.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
?? I don't need to use BubbleUpnp to stream Qobuz just showing the app works without root for those who want to stream via DLNA to the WiiM from file server or Qobuz.
And I never said it required root. Was referring to the more universal apps that do, or perhaps no longer do with more recent versions of ‘droid.

Top Bottom