• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it would be fun to have two Wiim mini's for different rooms. The 2nd $84 unit came from amazon. Setup was much easier than the first one. Why?

When I connected the second unit the Wiim Home app downloaded the new Jun82022 firmware automatically to the new Wiim unit to match the first unit. This way both have the same firmware. Next, it remembers the wifi password so no need to do anything but confirm the SSID and push "Next". After that, I set the room name and 192KHz for optical. All done. Easier than I could have imagined. Adding additional Wiim mini's is easy since the original data from the first unit is stored in the Home app. Might not be the best option from a security standpoint but for adding new pucks it's faster than I expected.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And I never said it required root. Was referring to the more universal apps that do, or perhaps no longer do with more recent versions of ‘droid.
Fair enough.

The value of using Qobuz in BubbleUpnp vs the WiiM app is being able to queue multiple albums.

Using Audio Cast you can use the standard Qobuz app full featured (but not bit perfect for hi Rez).

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Fair enough.

The value of using Qobuz in BubbleUpnp vs the WiiM app is being able to queue multiple albums.

Using Audio Cast you can use the standard Qobuz app full featured (but not bit perfect for hi Rez).
I think we can all agree that Qobuz needs to damn well finish Qobuz Connect! ;)

Pep2020

And I never said it required root. Was referring to the more universal apps that do, or perhaps no longer do with more recent versions of ‘droid.
Well you did strongly imply that with the image with the word 'root' circled. But I'll let it go :)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Well you did strongly imply that with the image with the word 'root' circled. But I'll let it go :)
That wasn't BubbleUPnP... I just tested AirMusic briefly, and it does indeed require root to function properly - very limited without it. Pass.

Pep2020

That wasn't BubbleUPnP... I just tested AirMusic briefly, and it does indeed require root to function properly - very limited without it. Pass.
Sorry that is just wrong. If you have android 10+ there are many apps that it will capture audio and stream to many targets. Amazon music works well. Bandcamp works well, etc.

If you use the right browser it will capture audio from that as well so there are numerous things you can stream using that.

You've used it for 10 mins and I have used it for years. Who do you think knows it better? Me.

Bubbleupnp is great and I use that as well.

It is ok to be wrong you know. This is why forums get a bad name. People who cannot admit they are wrong and persist with nonsense to save face.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Sorry, but I won't use anything that requires streaming through a phone, including AirPlay and Bluetooth. There are just too many better options. Tidal Connect is currently my best option to use a native app, so it's what I'll stick to for now. I also use LMS with the material skin, not quite as good as native apps, but much better than streaming through a phone.

Pep2020

Sorry, but I won't use anything that requires streaming through a phone, including AirPlay and Bluetooth. There are just too many better options. Tidal Connect is currently my best option to use a native app, so it's what I'll stick to for now.
Yes that is a limitation. But that is not what you said.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Interesting that the WiiM Home app doesn’t display song:rate_hz or song:format_s strings from the XML when streaming TuneIn. There’s also a UPnP:mediatype tag with TuneIn (AAC in this case), which I am displaying. Hopefully they’ll add the bitrate tag soon.

D56AF782-4466-45E6-98F5-B63E9F9119A8.jpeg

Last edited:

telemike

Interesting that the WiiM Home app doesn’t display song:rate_hz or song:format_s strings from the XML when streaming TuneIn. There’s also a UPnP:mediatype tag with TuneIn (AAC in this case), which I am displaying. Hopefully they’ll add the bitrate tag soon.

View attachment 212759
Sure hope you can write a tutorial to set up the screen display

Witterings

Just to info, Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express is a long track, divided seamlessly in three moments with theirs own name. On CD obviously play straight. With Tidal connect there is a little but audible stop in changing chapter, whilst play from Wiim app is substantially gapless or the jump is quite inaudible.
When I was on AM trial, a long silence and a stuttering start were at chapter change. With Wiim app, was decisely better but still unsatisfying. Qobuz seemed gapless but could been a very short gap also, I'm not sure.

I've had a similar issue with various songs, I did initially report this but I don't think they quite understood what I was saying and as I guessed they're busy decided I wouldn't pursue until they believed they'd resolved the Amazon HD / Gapless as that in itself may resolve the issue.

One of the songs it was very pronounced for me (there were others as well, can't remember which) is Marrilion - Childhoods End which leads into White Feather and the cross between the two was awful

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
You wouldn't happen to know if it works with the official RPi 7" touchscreen?
You'd have to adjust the code, as that's a lower rez display. I'm surprised they haven't updated the official display after all this time. This Waveshare is much sharper.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been playing with dual Wiim mini's while streaming using the multi-room capability. It works pretty well with a few hard rules.
1. Trying to stream hi-res music? It will reduce the stream to 48khz. Your 192khz stream just got downsized to 48khkz. :D
Individual rooms can playback at 192Khz (UPnP) but multi-room is compressed to 48Khz for Airplay.
2. If you are playing two different Qobuz streams to two different rooms you will need the Qobuz family plan as only one song can be played back at a time. However, Multi-room counts as one stream.
3. If you disconnect the multiple-room connection in software and turn off a Wiim and it's sound system - be prepared to turn off/on the Wiim unit(s) you want to still work as this combination causes the Wiim software to need a puck reset.

Other than these few limitations multi-room is amazingly easy with Wiim mini. It's as easy as hitting the + sign in device screen and checking the players you want linked. If 48khz is OK, multi-room works pretty well. I highly recommend using a DAC with Wiim mini that displays the playback resolution. That setup offers the best way to monitor playback resolution.

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
I will follow with a "ticket" (but I may be listed),
but I realize:
if I am in the deezer app without being connected to my chromecast etc.. I can listen on my phone.. etc.
but i just realize that with wiim home... i can't...
it is true that the application only opens if connected to the wiim
that's a shame... it can be useful sometimes to be able to listen before sending on the wiim, or juste use the wiim home alone
is it the same on ios( me with android)?
;-)

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
I will follow with a "ticket" (but I may be listed),
but I realize:
if I am in the deezer app without being connected to my chromecast etc.. I can listen on my phone.. etc.
but i just realize that with wiim home... i can't...
it is true that the application only opens if connected to the wiim
that's a shame... it can be useful sometimes to be able to listen before sending on the wiim, or juste use the wiim home alone
is it the same on ios( me with android)?
;-)
The WiiM app isn’t a renderer, it’s a control point for the WiiM Mini - you wouldn’t expect your tv remote to show video before sending it to the tv, would you? ;)

Top Bottom