• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

BossBunos

Do you have a DAC with balanced outs?
Yes right now using a wiim pro -> minidsp shd -> purifi amp.
My amp doesn't even accept RCA. Was hoping to replace the wiim pro and minidsp with the ultra. But that's not gonna happen.
After some experimenting I find the 4 band peq sufficient to battle room modes and do not have the need for Dirac or a sub

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes right now using a wiim pro -> minidsp shd -> purifi amp.
My amp doesn't even accept RCA. Was hoping to replace the wiim pro and minidsp with the ultra. But that's not gonna happen.
After some experimenting I find the 4 band peq sufficient to battle room modes and do not have the need for Dirac or a sub
You can plug the Ultra's RCA output straight into the Purifi's XLR in.

With the right cables, the connection would be fully balanced just like proper XLR out, giving you the same noise cancelling and GND loop breaking attributes.

No transformers or other active circuitry required.

Only potential issue is that output voltage will remain at 2V.

BossBunos

You can plug the Ultra's RCA output straight into the Purifi's XLR in.

With the right cables, the connection would be fully balanced just like proper XLR out, giving you the same noise cancelling and GND loop breaking attributes.

No transformers or other active circuitry required.

Only potential issue is that output voltage will remain at 2V.
Maybe a little off topic but how would that work? Creating a balanced signal from an unbalanced signal without circuitry? Yeah and I can't change the gain on the amp. I'll just stick with my setup for now :)

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will be getting one of these to replace my Wiim Pro Plus* which I will give to a friend. I like having a screen showing what is playing. Otherwise I would be satisfied with the Pro Plus.

*After I see Amir's review

staticV3

Master Contributor
Maybe a little off topic but how would that work? Creating a balanced signal from an unbalanced signal without circuitry? Yeah and I can't change the gain on the amp. I'll just stick with my setup for now :)
A signal is either single-ended or differential.

The output stage outputting said signal can be balanced or imbalanced.

You can have a balanced output carrying a single-ended signal.

It's the balanced output combined with a differential input that makes the transmission resist noise.

Whether the signal traveling down the balanced line is single-ended or differential, makes no difference.

By inserting a few series resistors at the RCA Line out's GND connection that match its output impedance at Signal out, you create a balanced output just like on a proper XLR DAC.
rca-xlr_corr (1).png 2conductorsor3 (1).png

Overseas

Major Contributor
I will be getting one of these to replace my Wiim Pro Plus* which I will give to a friend. I like having a screen showing what is playing. Otherwise I would be satisfied with the Pro Plus.

*After I see Amir's review

That is exactly my feeling. A bit more luxury for the masses.
Real deal for me is Room Correction.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Balanced is not about having two signals, one inverted compared to the other, it is about:

1 - having a send / return pair where neither carry the earth signal.
2 - Balancing output and input impedances.

This can mostly be achieved with the wiring shown in the upper version of the two pictures here, using two wires connected to ground at the RCA end. One connected to cold at the xlr end, and other to ground at the XLF end.

This separates the ground currents from the signal return currents.

You get most of the noise reduction of a balanced connection this way, however not all as it is not fully (impedance) balanced. To make it fully impedance balanced you would need to put a resistor in line with the cold wire (blue wire in the picture) at the RCA end. The resistance should match the output impedance of the sending (RCA) device.

This only works one way - RCA to XLR (TRS), since you need a differential input to receive the signal.

See also "The G Word" By Bruno Putzeys, "Making a difference" section, particularly figure 6.

EDIT: Ninjad (at least in part) by @staticV3

Last edited:

lennyanders

The Pro is on sale for €250.
The Ultra, awaiting measurements and specifications on features, at €350 can be correct, at €450 expensive...
But I think the only real competitor somewhat closely priced is BlueSound Node. At least if you want HDMI Arc in, Optical in and Coaxial out. At 450€ it would still beat the BlueSound Node by 100€. Please correct me if there are other products that do this in this price category.

Of course this doesn't mean that it is priced good, only that this is what the marked is.

Esprit

Forum Donor
I have yet to find the usefulness of the HDMI arc on this product… :)

Tremolo

The Pro is on sale for €250.
The Ultra, awaiting measurements and specifications on features, at €350 can be correct, at €450 expensive...
But are we talkin about pounds or euros? 350 pounds are more than 400 euros

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have yet to find the usefulness of the HDMI arc on this product… :)
When used as part of your TV system, you can continue using your TV remote to control volume.

And it'll turn On/Off with the TV.

If the WiiM Ultra was instead connected via Toslink, then you'd be forced to use the WiiM remote to control volume.

Esprit

Forum Donor
If the WiiM Ultra was instead connected via Toslink, then you'd be forced to use the WiiM remote to control volume.
Thank you.
OT: I have 256 remote controls (projector, DAC, decoder, SAT, Apple TV, Fire TV Stick, etc...): can anyone recommend a real universal remote control?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For accuracy, the options are:

US $349, EUR 379, GBP 349​

US $399, EUR 429, GBP 399​

US $449, EUR 449, GBP 449​

(VAT included for both EUR/GBP)​

All this is meaningless. Wiim are just playing a psychological game with everyone.

Give three prices. Ask everyone to vote. They'll all (or at least mostly) vote for the cheapest. Wiim will pick the cheapest.

They've just created market price willingness for the $350 they want to charge because everyone is so happy it is not one of the higher prices.

Oldest trick in the sales book - just implemented slightly differently.

Overseas

Major Contributor
No way you really ask customers what they want to pay.
But it is part of the game. Enjoy.

Leeken

They’ve made a retail -£300 product,and are now seeing if people will spend more,some would call that smart,I’ll just stick with the pro into my Rme thanks a lot.

Top Bottom