• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
All this is meaningless. Wiim are just playing a psychological game with everyone.

Give three prices. Ask everyone to vote. They'll all (or at least mostly) vote for the cheapest. Wiim will pick the cheapest.

They've just created market price willingness for the $350 they want to charge because everyone is so happy it is not one of the higher prices.

Oldest trick in the sales book - just implemented slightly differently.

Yeah.

But no.

It’s not meaningless.

No matter what the vote, they’re not going to come out now and say “Hey you lot, it’s £800!”.

And some were predicting £800.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah.

But no.

It’s not meaningless.

No matter what the vote, they’re not going to come out now and say “Hey you lot, it’s £800!”.

And some were predicting £800.
True - we do have an absolute max on the table.

But we also know Wiim's plan.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
What exchange was used?
P.S. VAT is different in various countries.

Differences in VAT rates within the EU are small, and the implication is that this will be taken into account.

We’ve certainly not seen differences in price across the EU for WiiM products based on VAT rates in the past.

My understanding is that the maximum difference within the EU is minimum 15%, maximum 27%.

Taking the lowest price point of €349. If that includes VAT at 15% then pre-VAT that’s €303. At maximum 27% VAT that’s €385, so only a +/- of €36 in total, and that’s at the very extremes.

I’m quite troubled as to why anyone might want to make a big thing out of this.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Differences in VAT rates within the EU are small, and the implication is that this will be taken into account.

We’ve certainly not seen differences in price across the EU for WiiM products based on VAT rates in the past.

My understanding is that the maximum difference within the EU is minimum 15%, maximum 27%.

Taking the lowest price point of €349. If that includes VAT at 15% then pre-VAT that’s €303. At maximum 27% VAT that’s €385, so only a +/- of €36 in total, and that’s at the very extremes.

I’m quite troubled as to why anyone might want to make a big thing out of this.

True, plus the prices they quite are in dollars, euros and pounds, and the parity or disparity some are complaining about isn’t unusual in my experience when you look at other kit on Amazon USA, UK, France etc like WiiM’s previous devices or Echo and Fire Tv devices.

Gyosa1

When used as part of your TV system, you can continue using your TV remote to control volume.

When used as part of your TV system, you can continue using your TV remote to control volume.

1. And it'll turn On/Off with the TV.

If the WiiM Ultra was instead connected via Toslink, then you'd be forced to use the WiiM remote to control volume.

if , and only if , it’s HDMI CEC compliant ….

my Eversolo DMP-A8 is not , and it won’t ….

neither is the Matrix Audio Mini-I4 ….

bk

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That WiiM will choose the cheapest?
Mainly an exercise to create price willingness.

But yes, I'd give it at least 90% they'll go for the lowest option. 0% they'll go for the highest.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I wonder what discussion would be like in the DAC section if Topping or SMSL had announced a new DAC with PEQ, room correction, and a subwoofer out with bass management, all for £350-£450.

Because this is that. It’s a DAC with all those features, as well as a streamer. I think there’d be a place in the market for it at £450 even if there were no streamer in it.

Esprit

Forum Donor
However, if the reference prices are in pounds, the pound-euro exchange rate is 1.17.
VAT or not, in Italy it is 22%, prices in euros, obviously in my opinion, will be higher.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have seen mentioned on some places that the Ultra has room correction, is this actually an automated room correction or just the fact it has PEQ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Have seen mentioned on some places that the Ultra has room correction, is this actually an automated room correction or just the fact it has PEQ?
It's automated, but requires an iPhone (maybe iPad as well?) to work, due to known microphone response.

The WiiM Amp has that feature as well.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's automated, but requires an iPhone (maybe iPad as well?) to work, due to known microphone response.

The WiiM Amp has that feature as well.
Interesting, Thankyou.

I wasn't aware of that, makes the WIIM Amp seem even more impressive. If I didn't need more power I would have grabbed one already.

staticV3

Master Contributor
And the Pro and the Pro Plus. The jury's still out re the Mini, but probably not feasible on that
I don't see why not.

After all, the room correction algorithm runs on your phone. Only the final EQ parameters get written to the WiiM.

Sure, the Mini may only be capable of 8 PEQ bands instead of 10, but making a modified correction algorithm that only calculates 8 bands should be trivial.

If the automatic room correction is not added to the Mini, then it's because WiiM can't/won't allocate enough dev time to their entry level model or wants to keep automatic correction as a differentiating feature.

Not because of hardware constraints.

Top Bottom