• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Wombat

Master Contributor
Having 35-40C is usually normal during the mid summer here at my place, but contrary to that this year we are having lower temps and lots of rain. :D

Normal Down Under. Occasional 45 deg. C. Rain is scarce though. I turn on my A/C @32 deg.C(90 deg. F) to keep it there. Varies a bit with humidity level. It encourages sitting in the A/C airflow and reading, listening to music, watching video, relaxing or thinking about things. Retirement helps.

I find it hard to comprehend living in very cold climate zones.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry for additional questions, if you don't install drivers, will dsd files be read as well?
Up to DSD 256 using DoP (although I have not tested it). Otherwise you do need to install drivers.

Hemicrusher

Thinking of getting one of these to play around with DSD's. Any glaring issues with it? Been reading through threads, but just checking before I order....

Krunok

Major Contributor
Up to DSD 256 using DoP (although I have not tested it). Otherwise you do need to install drivers.

If we are talking about D10 here than it's up to DSD256 in native mode and DSD128 in DoP.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Per request, I ran a couple of quick tests against Topping D30. Here is the Jitter test:

So the Topping D30 is superior here due to absence of those jitter spikes.

On the other hand, I did a quick test of linearity and the D10 is better actually.

Can't make a case of audibility though so I still say purchase based on features/budgets you have.

Mulling this over:
Budget: $30 difference is not material.
Features: I use dsp for bass management, so all DSD is converted to PCM 352.8 first. That gives some utility to the D10's higher PCM capability although resampling down to 172.4 probably will not hurt anything. The display on the D10 is likely to become a distraction.
The D30 seems to have a following. Posts regarding the D10 are scarce outside of the Massdrop thread, but it hasn't been around as long.

Anyone want to shine some light on this question?

meleeli

Topping support states they're working on firmware to solve the "USB interference" for the D10, like they did with the D50 and DX7s. Fingers crossed ^^

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping support states they're working on firmware to solve the "USB interference" for the D10, like they did with the D50 and DX7s. Fingers crossed ^^
From my perspective this says the D10 is not a mature product, yet.

Toku

Major Contributor
From my perspective this says the D10 is not a mature product, yet.
I also agree with you.
Firmware of D50 and DX 7s was updated several days ago, but it has not been completely improved and there are still some problems.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also agree with you.
Firmware of D50 and DX 7s was updated several days ago, but it has not been completely improved and there are still some problems.

Shipping of beta products is not limited to bargain priced Chinese DAC's. Nikon has a history of shipping $3k DSLR's with all sorts of problems, usually in the autofocus system.

Guermantes

Mulling this over:
Budget: $30 difference is not material.
Features: I use dsp for bass management, so all DSD is converted to PCM 352.8 first. That gives some utility to the D10's higher PCM capability although resampling down to 172.4 probably will not hurt anything. The display on the D10 is likely to become a distraction.
The D30 seems to have a following. Posts regarding the D10 are scarce outside of the Massdrop thread, but it hasn't been around as long.

Anyone want to shine some light on this question?

I did some plots of -6 dBFS 20 Hz to 48 kHz sweeps because I was interested in looking at ultrasonic noise in the D30 and D10. I found that the D10 had a lower noise floor (but its output was also about 1 dB lower) but higher harmonic distortion. Both seem quite free of aliasing artefacts. Note: I am using an LM4562 rather than the stock OPA2134 op amp in the D10. Like Amir, I don't think any of this is particularly audible. D10 is upper plot, D30 is lower one:

MoOde 4.1 Topping D10 spectragram 20-48k sweep.jpg

MoOde 4.1 Topping D30 spectragram 20-40k sweep.jpg

Playback device was a Raspberry Pi 3B running MoOde 4.1 (no SOX resampling) and test file was 24 bit 96 kHz. Recorded and plotted in Sound Forge 11 via an RME Fireface UFX at 24 bit 96 kHz.

Last edited:

Hemicrusher

Well, I got my D10 yesterday and I am very pleased with the build and sound quality. Equal in SQ to many many DACs I have heard. Purchased it to be able to play some of my native DSD files I own.

I am surprised this is not getting more attention around the web.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the USB interference you are referring to?
It's somewhere back in this thread. I seem to recall the solution was a customized USB cable where the power leads were connected to a 5V source separate from the computer supplying audio.

Hemicrusher

I installed the Windows driver from Topping. Windows sees only up to 192kHz in the audio device settings. ASIO bypasses this and sees 384kHz in JRiver and Audirvana. With WASAPI, Audirvana only sees up to 192kHz and no support for DSD or DOP, JRiver sees up to 384kHz and only DOP support.

Windows only drivers see up to 384kHz and only DOP support.

Above edited after much goofing with Windows default and Topping Drivers.

Last edited:

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's somewhere back in this thread. I seem to recall the solution was a customized USB cable where the power leads were connected to a 5V source separate from the computer supplying audio.

Thanks for pointing out the solution. However, I was actually wondering what was the problem :)

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That was me and my solution. I'm 95% positive the fault lie with an aging iMac computer and not the D10 as I tried it with at least 4 other computers with no problems and 2 OSs. Glad Topping is continuing to address issues with it though.

douteiful

Update on my issue with the D10 malfunctioning when turning off amp:

As I mentioned previously the D10 sometimes malfunctions (relay clicks, sometimes crashes) when I turn off my headphone amp or speaker receiver. At first I thought there was current going back into the RCA output from the receiver but it seems that even if they aren't connected in any way to the D10 it still happens. So I guess it's not coming from the RCA output but from the USB. Since I have everything connected to the same power strip, this is most probably current/noise coming from the receiver -> computer -> USB connection -> D10.

I'll try connecting the the computer and the amp to separate power outlets to see if it fixes it.

UPDATE: This is wrong, it is indeed coming into the RCA outputs. See this post https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...asurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/post-93650

Last edited:
Top Bottom