• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Krunok

Major Contributor
My D10 is working without a single glitch for 2 months now so I will skip this firmware update as there is nothing to fix.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My take is the problems correlate with associated equipment. That is either dirty USB power or amplifiers which send voltage out of their inputs. If one has neither of those conditions, they are fine.

έχω δίκιο

My D10 is working without a single glitch for 2 months now...

Good to know; I've got one in my Amazon cart right now. The last thing I need to find out prior to pulling the trigger is whether macOS retains volume/mute control when using that DAC. There's some history there ( https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...r-displayport-speakers.1924200/#post-22538689 ) that makes me cautious.

...so I will skip this firmware update as there is nothing to fix.

That's a reasonable policy with DACs, but not so good with recalls for defective airbags. :)

It's a fix to address something that shouldn't happen -- the connected equipment back-feeding a voltage into the DAC's outputs. I suspect that those of us with O2 headphone amps will be fine if we follow the directions in the schematic and avoid connecting and disconnecting AC power while the unit is switched on. I haven't put a scope on mine yet to verify that, but I'm really lazy, so I have an excuse.

έχω δίκιο

Of course, all recalls fall into cathegory of mandatory updates.
I was joshing you -- just good-natured kidding.
Btw, I will probaby update my D10 as well after I see it is safe to do so by the experience of other users with the update.
That makes perfect sense. With closed source, we don't know if they snuck in some other fixes that are useful, too.

digititus

Is this a Windows only firmware update utility?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of cars with defective airbags are waiting to be fixed. The problem is so big that there is not enough capacity to manufacture replacements.

digititus

They do provide the bin file. So if you can find the loader and are really daring I suppose it is possible on another OS.
I would need something like ADB for Android to sideload the firmware onto the DAC. Not sure how I will communicate with the DAC otherwise. Maybe a quick mail to Topping.

PyramidElectric

Re Mac/OSX: I couldn't get this to work with Wine, says it was missing 'DLL' or something (I'm guessing this is the driver), I'm really not going to mess with trying to install PC DAC drivers on my Mac (as the D10 seems to work fine anyway).

έχω δίκιο

Re Mac/OSX: I couldn't get this to work with Wine, says it was missing 'DLL' or something (I'm guessing this is the driver), I'm really not going to mess with trying to install PC DAC drivers on my Mac (as the D10 seems to work fine anyway).

I've got Mac and Linux computers. But I have one computer with removable hard drives, one of which has a clean Windows installation on it. That's my go-to machine for flashing devices that only have Windows flashing utilities.

I'll sometimes use a Windows virtual machine under VMWare for flashing smarter devices that I trust to look out for themselves (ones that I know take whole image at once, verify that it is valid, and then write it to the internal flash memory).

I'm not a big fan of Wine (including derivatives like CrossOver) or other Windows emulation software for flashing devices just because I've seen too many issues with stability.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got Mac and Linux computers. But I have one computer with removable hard drives, one of which has a clean Windows installation on it. That's my go-to machine for flashing devices that only have Windows flashing utilities.

That's probably the best solution for die hard linux users, a bootable external hard drive.

έχω δίκιο

That's probably the best solution for die hard linux users, a bootable external hard drive.
I have trust issues when it comes to Windows. I dont want it to have acess to another OS’s hard drive. So it’s the only OS drive in the system when I use it.

Top Bottom